Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and new to shooting in general. I was looking for a range and/or a club near to me. I came accross Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club on google. Just wondering if anyone who is already a member could give me some information? I did speak to Gary already and found out that you need to be sponsored by an existing member in order to be considered for membership.

Thanks in advance for any help/information.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Welcome! I know many folks who are members here. Become welcome to the forum, soon enough you'll find a sponsor

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
First Welcome to the forum, I'm a member of the old bethpage range, the range has 13 pistol points and 2 rifle tubes that are 100 yards. The range is located below ground in West Babylon on Kean St. Currently there are no openings for new members, applications for new members start in September until December no applications are kept on file after December so that means if you sent in an application and all spots are filed your application goes in the trash until the following year. You also must be sponsered be a current member in good standing to send in an application. The range is a nice place to shoot, but has a no guest policy other than family members. It is possible to get in but diffecult if you don't know a member.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,403 Posts
First Welcome to the forum, I'm a member of the old bethpage range, the range has 13 pistol points and 2 rifle tubes that are 100 yards. The range is located below ground in West Babylon on Kean St. Currently there are no openings for new members, applications for new members start in September until December no applications are kept on file after December so that means if you sent in an application and all spots are filed your application goes in the trash until the following year. You also must be sponsered be a current member in good standing to send in an application. The range is a nice place to shoot, but has a no guest policy other than family members. It is possible to get in but diffecult if you don't know a member.
The BoD made a minor change, to the application process. Now, because of the number of applications we receive, every year, they have decided to take applications only during August, with interviews in Sept or Oct, possibly into January, if openings still remain, all from the August apps.
Gary

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
The BoD made a minor change, to the application process. Now, because of the number of applications we receive, every year, they have decided to take applications only during August, with interviews in Sept or Oct, possibly into January, if openings still remain, all from the August apps.
Gary
Gary,

I am interested in applying, I sent you a PM. I drove by this weekend and was lucky enough to find someone there who was kind enough to give me an application but I have some questions about it. Would you be able to contact me for more information. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
i really wish Bethpage would reconsider their guest policy.. I can't even take my father or brother shooting... guest policy only applies to my wife.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Chris:
PM answered.
Gary
Gary,

Thank you for the information and quick response. I'm assuming BoD doesn't have an open house like Freeport R&R where I would have a chance to introduce myself to other members and possibly find a sponsor possibly for next years application, if so please let me know. I am of course registered to vote, an NRA member and will become a member of Nassau County Fish & Game Assn.

On a side note, if anyone here is a member and into car shows or having some home computer issues please reach out to me. I live and work very local to the range so I'm open to meeting up for coffee. Just to let you know a little about me, I own a computer repair business so my passion is technology and american muscle cars/trucks. Just throwing this out there in case there are any other TBSS owners on here but I am one also.

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: thaw

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Welcome! Freeport R&R is a good backup plan if you cant get into Old Bethpage. http://www.freeportrevolver.org/ I've been a member since March, indoor and outdoor points, 24 hour member access, check it out.
And we hope you are registered to vote!
Joeydiver,

Thank you for the info and I will look into it. It's just that Old Bethapge Rifle & Pistol Club is literally a few minutes away from my home it makes it incredibly convenient.

Chris

·
Team Infidel
2,089 Posts
i really wish Bethpage would reconsider their guest policy.. I can't even take my father or brother shooting... guest policy only applies to my wife.
At least your wife can shoot. At Freeport, NO guests are permitted to shoot. Members only. Kinda' stinks that I have to take the family to Brookhaven when I am a Freeport member.

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,841 Posts
At least your wife can shoot. At Freeport, NO guests are permitted to shoot. Members only. Kinda' stinks that I have to take the family to Brookhaven when I am a Freeport member.
I may be wrong, but the way I read the rules at OBR&P is that guests can watch but not shoot. Also, a family member, such as a spouse or child is not considered a guest but is considered a member and can shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
I may be wrong, but the way I read the rules at OBR&P is that guests can watch but not shoot. Also, a family member, such as a spouse or child is not considered a guest but is considered a member and can shoot.
Yes.. when i joined we were allowed to bring guests to shoot but a few people were running unofficial firearms training schools out of there.. I wish they would just terminate the offender's membership instead of ruining it for everyone.

·
Banned
4,993 Posts
That's always been my biggest gripe about Freeport, Guest policy really BLOWS

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Yes.. when i joined we were allowed to bring guests to shoot but a few people were running unofficial firearms training schools out of there.. I wish they would just terminate/suspend the offender's membership instead of ruining it for everyone.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,403 Posts
Gary,

Thank you for the information and quick response. I'm assuming BoD doesn't have an open house like Freeport R&R where I would have a chance to introduce myself to other members and possibly find a sponsor possibly for next years application, if so please let me know. I am of course registered to vote, an NRA member and will become a member of Nassau County Fish & Game Assn.

On a side note, if anyone here is a member and into car shows or having some home computer issues please reach out to me. I live and work very local to the range so I'm open to meeting up for coffee. Just to let you know a little about me, I own a computer repair business so my passion is technology and american muscle cars/trucks. Just throwing this out there in case there are any other TBSS owners on here but I am one also.

Regards,
Chris
Chris:
Unfortunately, Old Bethpage doesn't host an "open house" type of event. In reality, they are not looking to encourage more applicants. Given the few openings available, each year (8~10), against the 40~50 applications received, the last thing the club wants is to try to encourage even more applications. Everyone wants into the club, becasue of its unique facilities, which, on the other hand, means very few leave, other than by death or moving out of the area.
Gary

·
Registered
447 Posts
I go in the morning during the week, no one there. Ten minutes from Mass. Pk. I do see cars at that "convenience store" up the block. I guess their early risers!.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts