Long Island Shooters Forum banner
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
So if an injunction is issued what does that mean to us? The SCPD will sit on their hands till there is some sort of official legal resolution I assume....couldn't that take years with legal challenges? Can the judge issue a partial injuntion blocking some of the most egregious aspects but let others stand? Have no idea how an injunction works. I don't see how any of these new laws can possibly be seen as NOT contrary to the SC decision but some liberal Democratic judge can make that stick. Couldn't this realistically drag on for years? It's not like Governor Botox and her lawyers haven't already prepared for an injunction.
The injunction is related to the new law NYS passed. The issue of proper cause and license restrictions based on proper cause was dealt with by the Supreme Court. What the county does as far as cleaning up their license application and handbook does not have any impact on the Supreme Court ruling. Any attempt to enforce those restrictions will be meet with a lawsuit that the county will lose.

Now I understand the concerns regarding having to go through a legal process because some law enforcement agency threatens to illegally enforce an unconstitutional law or policy but if that type of threat controlled everyone's actions we would still be subjects of England and Black people would still be riding in the back of the bus. This is NOT hyperbole. The law of the land is restrictions that were used to infringe on our rights for 100 years have been struck down by the Supreme Court. This isn't some complex legal doctrine difficult to understand. Law abiding Americans have a fundamental Constitutional right to carry a firearm for personal protection. Forty plus states understand that right. NY, CA and a few states have decided to go rogue to push these new infringements. At a minimum we should be speaking out against this and not saying just go along to get along. No, any attempt to enforce the restrictions is a violation of the law.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I hope and pray this judge slaps Hochul and her band of liberal nutjobs down on every count. If it stands as is everything has become far worse for us than before the ruling. It's just insanity. You'll literally only be allowed to carry out to your front lawn.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
California just passed similar laws as New York. I believe New Jersey is taking the same path. The requirements from social media to training are a huge obstacle for many gun owners who might be conservative and get denied a pistol license.

·
Aim High
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Has anyone heard specifically from SCPD yet as to how they are going to handle the Supreme Court ruling? I filled out the ammendment form with the $5 check weeks ago. I guess they can keep silent forever.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Has anyone heard specifically from SCPD yet as to how they are going to handle the Supreme Court ruling? I filled out the ammendment form with the $5 check weeks ago. I guess they can keep silent forever.
My guess is they are not going to respond until the injunction is either granted or denied. That's going to happen within a week or so.

As for me the idea that you would have to fill out a form and pay a fee to amend the license is ludicrous.

Reactions: Ultratec

·
Aim High
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
To me waiting around after the Supreme Court ruling was ludicrous. I thought the time between the ruling and Sept 1 was the time we could conceal carry. The fight was focused on Sept. 1 and beyond.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
To me waiting around after the Supreme Court ruling was ludicrous. I thought the time between the ruling and Sept 1 was the time we could conceal carry. The fight was focused on Sept. 1 and beyond.
The Supreme Court ruling is the law of the land whether NYS likes it or not. Sept 1st is the date the new rules are intended to become effective but an injunction puts that on hold. And if the injunction occurs the existing provisions of PL400 remain in effect with the exception of everything related to proper cause which includes the proper cause restrictions. Now if you're waiting for an announcement from the county letting you know the restrictions are no longer in effect you'll be waiting a long time (never).

·
Aim High
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Well that is really my point. If we're waiting around for the County to make an announcement that may never come, then where did this get us? The fact that the ruling was in our favor but we can do nothing about it because the County is tongue tied kind of makes this bitter sweet. Doesn't it seem that the County is above the Supreme Court?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Well that is really my point. If we're waiting around for the County to make an announcement that may never come, then where did this get us? The fact that the ruling was in our favor but we can do nothing about it because the County is tongue tied kind of makes this bitter sweet. Doesn't it seem that the County is above the Supreme Court?
The ruling was in our favor. The state has acknowledged it was in our favor by passing this new law. The admission by NYC is an acknowledgement of the Supreme Court ruling in our favor. You also have the acknowledgement by other legislative and judicial officials in NY and around the country that the decision was in our favor. There are some that say until they see it in the handbook they'll continue to abide by the restrictions rather than the clear Supreme Court ruling. Each individual has to decide what to do with the information they have.

Reactions: Ultratec and ARP228

·
Aim High
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Thanks Paul. I'm guessing that the Counties figure we are to scared to carry without a formal announcement and therefore they will never announce anything. I didn't think Bellone was that chicken that he couldn't open his mouth.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Thanks Paul. I'm guessing that the Counties figure we are to scared to carry without a formal announcement and therefore they will never announce anything. I didn't think Bellone was that chicken that he couldn't open his mouth.
It's discouraging that the powers that be, the ones that demand we follow the rule of law, refuse to do the same because the law doesn't coincide with their political agenda. This recent action by the state and some counties just expose the fact that this isn't about safety but power. There isn't a shred of evidence that CCW by law abiding citizens increases crime and yet they are willing to continue to infringe on our rights in spite of the Supreme Court ruling.

·
Aim High
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Thank you. This is simply their plan. Keep quiet and license holders will do nothing. Defy the Supreme Court. Just keep license holders in limbo. Not having a procedure should be their problem not ours. We're making it our problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eveything will eventually fall into place. Nothings going to be perfect your dealing with the state eveything is at a snails pace once sep 1st comes around they will have address the new law regardless. They absolutely have the knowledge about how this will all work there just waiting for the 11th hour and its next Thursday so we shall see

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Thank you. This is simply their plan. Keep quiet and license holders will do nothing. Defy the Supreme Court. Just keep license holders in limbo. Not having a procedure should be their problem not ours. We're making it our problem.
I'm not in limbo. The Supreme Court has ruled the restrictions are unconstitutional. NYS has acknowledged that ruling by coming up with this new law that attempts to get around that ruling by creating additional sensitive places that are in clearly violation of the Supreme Court ruling.

·
Aim High
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Paul, your personal opinion.......at the moment do you think we are making our own problem and that when the Supreme Court spoke those of us who have a Suffolk County licence with Sportsman could legally conceal carry?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Paul, your personal opinion.......at the moment do you think we are making our own problem and that when the Supreme Court spoke those of us who have a Suffolk County licence with Sportsman could legally conceal carry?
My personal opinion, yes.

The Supreme Court ruling is clear and has been confirmed by NYS with the passage of S51001. The State is attempting to limit the scope of concealed carry now that the restrictions have been deemed unconstitutional by creating 1001 new sensitive locations. Many have become so conditioned by the oppression that has been going on for 100+ years in NYS that they are waiting for a voice from heaven to confirm what has already taken place.

Keep in mind the restrictions didn't JUST become unconstitutional. They have been unconstitutional for over 100 years. Honest, law abiding citizens of NYS have had their rights trampled on for over 100 years.

I spend a good portion of the year in Florida where I carry 24/7. The idea that I cross an imaginary line on a map, still in America, but strip of a fundamental Cinstitutional right is revolting.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The part that the anti-gunners conveniently leave out when they complain that the Supreme Court threw out 100 years of common sense gun laws is the fact that the New York pistol license scheme is actually a 100 year old criminal act.
Big Tim Sullivan (of Sullivan Act fame) the biggest of the crooked politicians of Tammany Hall, created the gun laws where he had to personally approve all handgun permits in NY. This was so he could prevent all of his political opponents (Jews, Italians, all minorities, etc) from owning guns.
He would have his personal police force go out and drop a pistol in the pockets of his political enemies and then arrest them for illegal gun possession. It has now come full circle as a way for the Democrat’s to get rid of their political adversaries either by moving out of state or by arresting them (the new list of E felonies)
That is a real quality method for creating a new set of laws.

Reactions: 2edgesword
141 - 160 of 171 Posts