Long Island Shooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
This is a clear message from our Law Makers that they want to limit the 2A. The Supreme Court ruling has backfired here in New York.
We have the strictest gun laws now.
Oh yea of little faith. Nothing has backfired. I don’t see CCIA seeing the light of day. If anything the Governor and NYS legislature has put themselves in a bind with laws that are not only unconstitutional but impractical and impossible to enforce.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Oh yea of little faith. Nothing has backfired. I don’t see CCIA seeing the light of day. If anything the Governor and NYS legislature has put themselves in a bind with laws that are not only unconstitutional but impractical and impossible to enforce.
If the CCIA goes in effect 9/1/22, the Police have another tool for a Felony collar with all the sensitive locations here in our state. It won’t be difficult for LE to enforce it. Gun collars are very desirable for a young cop looking to advance their career.

·
Still a David Crockett kid
2,786 Posts
If the CCIA goes in effect 9/1/22, the Police have another tool for a Felony collar with all the sensitive locations here in our state. It won’t be difficult for LE to enforce it. Gun collars are very desirable for a young cop looking to advance their career.
Really depends on what the collared "citizen" is lotsa New Yawkers walking on gun charges every week

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
That's a big IF. Beyond that SCOTUS has laid down the law. I would expect to see civil rights lawsuits following any arrest. I'm not sure why you think it won't be difficult to enforce. How many illegal firearms are on the streets of NYC today?

But I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. My expectation is the injunction is going to be granted for numerous reasons as spelled out in the lawsuit.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
That's a big IF. Beyond that SCOTUS has laid down the law. I would expect to see civil rights lawsuits following any arrest. I'm not sure why you think it won't be difficult to enforce. How many illegal firearms are on the streets of NYC today?

But I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. My expectation is the injunction is going to be granted for numerous reasons as spelled out in the lawsuit.
It can only become a civil rights lawsuit if an officer effects an arrest in the Federal District the law was found unconstitutional.
If the law goes in effect, a civilian with his new unrestricted pistol license enters a private business, his pistol is observed by a private citizen who calls 911. The state law just made that person a Felon. The NYSRPA v. Bruen case will not help in the defense.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i do not believe any law abiding unrestricted pistol holders will ever be arrested and charged with a felony. No chance with the suffolk DA. Now NYC i would not test that but screw that place let it burn. Regardless of all the what ifs i am still very happy i will be able to concealed carry im a thorn in the libs side ill go threw evey loop they have

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
i do not believe any law abiding unrestricted pistol holders will ever be arrested and charged with a felony. No chance with the suffolk DA. Now NYC i would not test that but screw that place let it burn. Regardless of all the what ifs i am still very happy i will be able to concealed carry im a thorn in the libs side ill go threw evey loop they have
In Suffolk County, the DA is probably not going to charge a law abiding civilian with a clean record with an E Felony for a mishap with his concealed firearm in a private business.
In NYC, I seriously doubt a regular civilian has a chance of getting the charges dropped like that rapper who was a convicted Felon in possession of a unregistered pistol and 33 round magazine.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It can only become a civil rights lawsuit if an officer effects an arrest in the Federal District the law was found unconstitutional.
If the law goes in effect, a civilian with his new unrestricted pistol license enters a private business, his pistol is observed by a private citizen who calls 911. The state law just made that person a Felon. The NYSRPA v. Bruen case will not help in the defense.
And that conviction is going to be overturned when it gets appealed to a federal court or very possibly in a state court when the law is challenged based on Bruen.

The Supreme Court's ruling covers the whole U.S. Bruen is the law of the land. Your 2nd Amendment rights are civil rights. Any violation of those rights opens the door to a civil rights lawsuit.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
100% Spot On. As of now, this blew up in our faces.
Totally short term thinking.

The Supreme Court made the right decision. The fact that lawmakers in Albany have attempted to grossly sidestep that decision by creating a new law that is in total violation of the Bruen decision exposes their hubris and the short sightedness of their thinking.

Your comment and those like it seem to express the idea that the usurpation of our 2nd Amendment rights that had gone on for over a hundred years should have continued as if the antis were going to be satisfied with that usurpation going forward. They would not. They would continue chipping away at them until those rights were gone. This latest batch of unconstitutional laws exposes that fact.

The executive and legislative branch of government in NYS has poked its finger into the eye of the judicial branch of government (courts, judges and lawyers) to say we don't care what the highest court in the land says we're going to do what we want. The CCIA is an in your face challenge to the judicial branch and I believe their are judges even in NY that aren't going to put up with the rebellion against the federal judiciary that is occurring in NY. In the end the NY legislature is going to lose this battle and I don't think its even going to require another trip to the Supreme Court to render the smack down.

You had an example of this in CA where a CA judge sustain a demurr of four felony gun charges because in light of the Bruen decision the laws he was accused of violating were unconstitutional. I don't think you are going to get the rubber stamping of CCIA by courts in NY given how clearly they are contrary to the Bruen decision ESPECIALLY given the upgrade in scrutiny required for a law to pass Constitutional muster in light of Bruen.

So no, the Bruen decision was the correct decision and is a victory for 2nd Amendment rights.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,825 Posts
This is a clear message from our Law Makers that they want to limit the 2A. The Supreme Court ruling has backfired here in New York.
I think and hope that you're misreading and misjudging what the Left did. As I see it, they did us a huge favor and, as it will turn out, they did for us one of the best things which will happen, for the pro-2A community and the most stupid and worse thing they could have done, to harm their own position.

If they were smart, what they would have done is generate one attempted "roadblock" at a time, as each of the previous ones was defeated by the courts, which would and could have dragged out an anti-gun agenda for years. By putting everything they could, in a single piece of ill-conceived legislation, they've signed their own death warrant, as all of it will go down, in a single court battle.

Watch for the results, on August 26th. That's when the federal court has promised a ruling on the CCIA. The Left can appeal all it wants but, once an injunction has been ordered, it cannot be put into effect and, regardless of the number of appeals they try, we already know what the SCOTUS will say, since they've already said, it, in the Bruen decision.

Gary

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The law makers don't get to circumvent the Constitution. Nothing has backfired. That's short term thinking on your part and on the part of the lawmakers.

Reactions: TopCat

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
The law makers don't get to circumvent the Constitution. Nothing has backfired. That's short term thinking on your part and on the part of the lawmakers.
New York could’ve followed the SCOTUS ruling to the letter of the law.
It will take many years to undo the new law that is going in full effect 9/1/22.
States can pass laws. The ruling didn’t prevent pistol licenses with strict requirements.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
New York could’ve followed the SCOTUS ruling to the letter of the law.
It will take many years to undo the new law that is going in full effect 9/1/22.
States can pass laws. The ruling didn’t prevent pistol licenses with strict requirements.
Did you read Gary's post?

"If they were smart, what they would have done is generate one attempted "roadblock" at a time, as each of the previous ones was defeated by the courts, which would and could have dragged out an anti-gun agenda for years. By putting everything they could, in a single piece of ill-conceived legislation, they've signed their own death warrant, as all of it will go down, in a single court battle."

The judge can now grant an injunction that prevents the hold law from being put into effect. Again, the government doesn't have unbridled authority to make and enforce whatever law they want. They are limited by the Constitution. And as mentioned I don't think courts in NYS are going to give the thumbs up to this legislation.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Totally short term thinking.

The Supreme Court made the right decision. The fact that lawmakers in Albany have attempted to grossly sidestep that decision by creating a new law that is in total violation of the Bruen decision exposes their hubris and the short sightedness of their thinking.

Your comment and those like it seem to express the idea that the usurpation of our 2nd Amendment rights that had gone on for over a hundred years should have continued as if the antis were going to be satisfied with that usurpation going forward. They would not. They would continue chipping away at them until those rights were gone. This latest batch of unconstitutional laws exposes that fact.

The executive and legislative branch of government in NYS has poked its finger into the eye of the judicial branch of government (courts, judges and lawyers) to say we don't care what the highest court in the land says we're going to do what we want. The CCIA is an in your face challenge to the judicial branch and I believe their are judges even in NY that aren't going to put up with the rebellion against the federal judiciary that is occurring in NY. In the end the NY legislature is going to lose this battle and I don't think its even going to require another trip to the Supreme Court to render the smack down.

You had an example of this in CA where a CA judge sustain a demurr of four felony gun charges because in light of the Bruen decision the laws he was accused of violating were unconstitutional. I don't think you are going to get the rubber stamping of CCIA by courts in NY given how clearly they are contrary to the Bruen decision ESPECIALLY given the upgrade in scrutiny required for a law to pass Constitutional muster in light of Bruen.

So no, the Bruen decision was the correct decision and is a victory for 2nd Amendment rights.
ok. In my very brief post, I stated, as of now. Not That it was the wrong thing to do. Subtle distinction there.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
ok. In my very brief post, I stated, as of now. Not That it was the wrong thing to do. Subtle distinction there.
Blow up in our face is not a subtle distinction. And again, the "as of now" is a short-sighted approach to the issue. This may have something to do with which generation you're in. I've been dealing with the nonsense in Suffolk County since I got my license in the 1980's. A few months to hammer out this latest wrinkle is nothing.

Reactions: Ultratec

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Blow up in our face is not a subtle distinction. And again, the "as of now" is a short-sighted approach to the issue. This may have something to do with which generation you're in. I've been dealing with the nonsense in Suffolk County since I got my license in the 1980's. A few months to hammer out this latest wrinkle is nothing.
New York is never going to make it easy for acquiring a pistol license. The Police Department Administration is anti gun and doesn’t like giving a pistol license too easily, unless you have connections or being a celebrity.
I don’t expect this case will remove all the restrictions. It will be appealed.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts