Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Aim High
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Supreme Court handed down its ruling and the Govenor signed her gun carrying death mandate, what happens now? Who is going to deal the next death blow and when? Who can carry when and where or is it all over and the hand guns stay in the safe to collect dust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Class E Felony (potentially 2-5 years in jail) is a very stiff penalty for walking into the wrong restaurant for a burger. Though for cost savings, I guess all the reason in the world to aggressively pre-game (joke).

Now, we donate to NYSRPA and other organizations who will be filing suit, we donate aggressively and demand that they be proactive with that money. Bruen is the tool they needed to be successful, I hope they all get rich off of it.

·
Aim High
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not taking classes every 3 years for renewal. I've done enough courses and training. They won, my firearms are just about gone except I don't know who to transfer it to. My buddies aren't going to do this circus either. The bitch got what she wanted.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Now that the Supreme Court handed down its ruling and the Govenor signed her gun carrying death mandate, what happens now? Who is going to deal the next death blow and when? Who can carry when and where or is it all over and the hand guns stay in the safe to collect dust.
Much of this is utter nonsense that can’t be enforced and any attempt to enforce it will get them slapped down by the courts. I think even some of the state courts will slap some of these requirements down.

The immediate issue is the silence by the police commissioner on the current restrictions. The Supreme Court has ruled them unconstitutional. Nothing in the rewrite of PL400 addresses them and it was one of the central issues in the Bruen case. So the immediate, direct question to the Police Commissioners in both counties is are you going to obey the ruling of the Supreme Court or are you going to continue to enforce these unconstitutional restrictions you applied to the licenses? It’s either a yes or no answer.

Reactions: CaptainMitchell

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This is the time to stand firm. They made a lot of fundamental mistakes here and its going to be rough for us, but Hochul has over played it and this is the beginning of the end of gun control.

Donate to worthy causes. My suggestion is instead of a new 400 dollar rifle, donate 400 dollars to represent penal law 400.

This is going to be epic.

Reactions: 1

·
Aim High
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this very moment I haven't a clue as to whether or not I still have a Suffolk CC Sportsman license or what I can or can't do with it. I don't even know if I can carry to the range.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
They have to make the first move...and they have. Unfortunately the courts is the arena.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
I admit it. I just want my "Sportsman" license to stay the way it is until the politicians finish trying to piss all over each other.
Leave me alone.
According to the Supreme Court ruling you have a NYS f class concealed carry license. At this point nothing done by the state has changed that. The clarification on that needs to come from the Suffolk County Police Commissioner acknowledging that the unconstitutional restrictions on the license are no long valid.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
At this very moment I haven't a clue as to whether or not I still have a Suffolk CC Sportsman license or what I can or can't do with it. I don't even know if I can carry to the range.
Nothing the politicians in Albany have done has an immediate impact on your license. At this point it is highly questionable if anything they have done will have an impact in the future. The Bruen decision invalidates the carry restrictions applied to the f class license by the Suffolk and Nassau County Police Commissioners. They know that but they choose to remain silent on the issue rather than inform license holders of the change.

Reactions: TopCat

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Does my Sportsman license cease to exist on 9/1/22? I am really asking because I do not want to unwittingly do anything illegal.

Additionally, I do not understand the requirement for a 16 course every three years. I have completed the NRA live fire course and have conducted weapons training yearly with the military for more that 20 years. Including qualifying with the M9. I also go to the range at least monthly.

Between the future expense of ammunition, required courses and restrictions more folks will cease to engage in shooting sports and less people will be interested in dealing with the amount of work that it takes to keep a license.

In terms of taking a class every three years - I don’t know what the marksmanship requirements will be but as folks get older it will be harder to pass. I say this because at the range I go to there are a significant numbers of range officers in their 70s and 80s these guys are excellent and experts in many disciplines - are they going to fail marksmanship because they are not as accurate as they used to be?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Does my Sportsman license cease to exist on 9/1/22? I am really asking because I do not want to unwittingly do anything illegal.

Additionally, I do not understand the requirement for a 16 course every three years. I have completed the NRA live fire course and have conducted weapons training yearly with the military for more that 20 years. Including qualifying with the M9. I also go to the range at least monthly.

Between the future expense of ammunition, required courses and restrictions more folks will cease to engage in shooting sports and less people will be interested in dealing with the amount of work that it takes to keep a license.

In terms of taking a class every three years - I don’t know what the marksmanship requirements will be but as folks get older it will be harder to pass. I say this because at the range I go to there are a significant numbers of range officers in their 70s and 80s these guys are excellent and experts in many disciplines - are they going to fail marksmanship because they are not as accurate as they used to be?
No clue and that's by design. The purpose of the new law was to punish us, nothing more. its also so overboard that the effects will be catastrophic to the antis.

We are literally the people who will save the 2A by being subject to this new law.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts

Answer to the first question is yes, your Sportsman license no longer exist. The restrictions were removed and it is now a class f concealed carry license with county imposed restrictions removed. Now whether or not the county will acknowledge that is a separate question.

Honest I don't think local LE really cares about the issue of license holders carrying concealed but none of them wants to say anything publically that might hurt them politically. Can you imagine the flak the County Executive would get after making a public statement that the county restrictions are null and void? It would be the right thing to do given Bruen but political expediency seems to be more important than doing the right thing.

There is no rational reasoning for requiring the course ESPECIALLY given the training you already have. But the state doesn't rely on rational reasoning. I'm a veteran, I've had a NYS pistol license for 30 years and CCW's from multiple states for decades. I'm not totally opposed to training BUT have major concerns that some states will use training requirements as just another roadblock to hinder folks from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

I seriously doubt much of what the state is proposing is going to hold up. In fact I don't think it's going to hold up in state courts or the 2nd Circuit. We'll see.

Reactions: Bridge

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Answer to the first question is yes, your Sportsman license no longer exist. The restrictions were removed and it is now a class f concealed carry license with county imposed restrictions removed. Now whether or not the county will acknowledge that is a separate question.

Honest I don't think local LE really cares about the issue of license holders carrying concealed but none of them wants to say anything publically that might hurt them politically. Can you imagine the flak the County Executive would get after making a public statement that the county restrictions are null and void? It would be the right thing to do given Bruen but political expediency seems to be more important than doing the right thing.

There is no rational reasoning for requiring the course ESPECIALLY given the training you already have. But the state doesn't rely on rational reasoning. I'm a veteran, I've had a NYS pistol license for 30 years and CCW's from multiple states for decades. I'm not totally opposed to training BUT have major concerns that some states will use training requirements as just another roadblock to hinder folks from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

I seriously doubt much of what the state is proposing is going to hold up. In fact I don't think it's going to hold up in state courts or the 2nd Circuit. We'll see.
How long before the first lawsuit gets underway?

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
How long before the first lawsuit gets underway?
I don't think very long. The folks that worked the Bruen case all the way up to SCOTUS and others are not going to sit idle to watch all that went into winning that case usurped by the folks in Albany. Beyond the dismantling of proper cause the change in the level of scrutiny required to legislate restrictions has dramatically changed the landscape. The folks in Albany are acting as if that change didn't occur. I think they are in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: RoadRage and Pat M
1 - 20 of 121 Posts