Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of classic old style oil lamps with a nice wide wick. I tried a run-of-the-mill oil but it started stinking up the house a bit. I bought a small bottle of Paraffin oil which is a lot better, but I'm wondering if there's something better than that.
What are you guys using?
Also, what kind of oil lamps are you guys using it in?

I bought one of these, but I learned the hard way that you should burn off the manufacturing/shipping oil off first...outside. Plus the wick is a bit too narrow for a decent amount of light.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2263940&cp=2568443.2568448.2626062.2627662.2627638

Now I purchased 2 of these, which work a bunch better.

Liquid Light Amber Art Font

Attachments

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
You should be using pure liquid paraffin (unscented is best IMO).

BTW it is also an excellent degreaser, cleaner, and solvent- try some on your guns. And much less odor than kerosene.

If you really want yo up your game, get one of the Aladdin mantle lamps- you can crank those up to be the equivalent of about 100w incandescent bulb.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That's old school, buy battery powered LED lanterns. I bought a set of 2 on eBay that has 12 lights per unit and runs on 3 AA for $25.00
They work great and last a long time with the LED lights.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Wire a few LED lanterns to hookup to a car battery, and it'll run for months. (I bet the battery would self-discharge before the LEDs ran it down)

Add a solar charger and there's no worries.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
I picked up a couple of classic old style oil lamps with a nice wide wick. I tried a run-of-the-mill oil but it started stinking up the house a bit. I bought a small bottle of Paraffin oil which is a lot better, but I'm wondering if there's something better than that.
What are you guys using?
Also, what kind of oil lamps are you guys using it in?

I bought one of these, but I learned the hard way that you should burn off the manufacturing/shipping oil off first...outside. Plus the wick is a bit too narrow for a decent amount of light.
http://www.acehardwa...2627662.2627638

Now I purchased 2 of these, which work a bunch better.

View attachment 2889
Is that the Great Chicago Fire Anniversary model?

Reactions: Ramone

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know about the LED lights....and the car battery trick. Used them before with success. But I enjoy the the light from an oil lamp. Like a big candle. Much better atmosphere for those dark nights with the lady.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be using pure liquid paraffin (unscented is best IMO).

BTW it is also an excellent degreaser, cleaner, and solvent- try some on your guns. And much less odor than kerosene.

If you really want yo up your game, get one of the Aladdin mantle lamps- you can crank those up to be the equivalent of about 100w incandescent bulb.
Hey Capt., I just checked out the Aladdins. very nice. Pricey, but nice. Did I understand the description correctly? They use the same fuel as a normal oil lamp?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Actually there are LED's that are in the same K rage of standard burning wick, like candle, or oil lamp. They make LED's in pretty much any K color temp, or leds that are able to be adjusted by their power source. As well as ficker ballasts ect...

Take this for instance..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHR_QPrUDw

Get rid of those crappy archaic diode LED's and put in some new high power cree Xm-l or R5 chipped leds, could even use something like a .5w SMD led in 2700K. All can be brighter and more environmentally friendly then the oil lamp.

There is a reason we dont use oil burning lamps anymore. Health, and safety reasons! Toss out the parafin which is ridled with VOC's and also release carcinogens when burned. There are other for friendly burning oils out there but its still best to actually live in the current time period and use electronic forms of light.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually there are LED's that are in the same K rage of standard burning wick, like candle, or oil lamp. They make LED's in pretty much any K color temp, or leds that are able to be adjusted by their power source. As well as ficker ballasts ect...

Take this for instance..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHR_QPrUDw

Get rid of those crappy archaic diode LED's and put in some new high power cree Xm-l or R5 chipped leds, could even use something like a .5w SMD led in 2700K. All can be brighter and more environmentally friendly then the oil lamp.

There is a reason we dont use oil burning lamps anymore. Health, and safety reasons! Toss out the parafin which is ridled with VOC's and also release carcinogens when burned. There are other for friendly burning oils out there but its still best to actually live in the current time period and use electronic forms of light.
I'm all for living in the current time period, but I also enjoy these outside so I'm not that concerned about VOC's killing me in my home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts