Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
shots fired
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions on Sea Foam top engine cleaner (spray)? Mainly do you need to change the oil afterwards? Im about 2k from my next "scheduled" oil change but just did a top end clean today. Wondering if i should change early or wait it out. I do change ever 5k with full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
I used to use the vacuum line to feed it into the intake. Motor would smoke like hell for the day but car would run much smoother afterwards
Wow, I'm having flashbacks of running Marvel Mystery Oil through the carbs when I was a youngin............

·
shots fired
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got Mercury Sable with 190K miles on it and have never done anything to the engine other than change oil, wires and plugs. Car runs just fine.
Why would you want to spray crap into a modern fuel injected engine?
GDI is pretty nasty. I feel that regular foaming (once a year) will prevent or lessen carbon buildup.

·
shots fired
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the spray is put in with the engine about 1000rpm above idle to atomize the spray. Then it "heat soaks" for 10-15 mins to loosen and soften the buildup and then its exhausted on an "Aggressive" driving period

·
III%
2,777 Posts
reminded me of this joke

Keep using full synthetic oil and changing every 5k and you won't need sea foam.
Saw this after I posted... thats what I was going for too! I love that one!

Reactions: C6NY
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.