Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned I'd start an official build thread for my '95 Wrangler, seeing as I did more work today, decided to post.

I picked up this '95 Wrangler back in late June after I was in an accident with my Mustang.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Added my sticker the day of to the hard top...

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Few days later I built and installed a grab handle for the passenger...

Plant Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Shortly after this, I was at work one day, and the battery died.
Friend came up to work, jumped me, got her home and swapped out the battery for a newer one.

Next I cleaned the air filter, dumped Lucas Fuel System cleaner down the tank, and topped off the brake fluid.

Few days ago, changed the spark plugs, they were pretty burnt down.

Finger Thumb Paint Gas Nail

After that, I dumped some Chevron fuel treatment in the tank, trying to improve the gas mileage.

Thus far, I've gone through 2 tanks. First tank netted me 210 miles on 15 gallons. This tank, I'm up to 158 miles and only half a tank is gone. I'm shooting for 250-270 miles before I have to fill up again.

Tonight, I removed the rear seat. First, I thought I had to remove the bolts from the floor, and this resulted in me breaking one of the bolts off with a socket wrench.

Later I found out I just had to remove 2 pins.

If anyone needs a rear seat for a YJ, I'll gladly sell this one. In good shape, grey, vinyl.

Once I had it out, I replaced it with a trunk I used to bring to Scout camp. This'll hold my long list of survival supplies, hunting gear, school bag, even fits my soft top windows.

I have a plan to bolt it in using U shaped bolts fed through holes drilled into the trunk.

Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Next, I'm ordering stainless windshield tie-downs to replace the rusted out ones.

In addition, new weatherstripping for the door windows.

Until tomorrow folks.

Attachments

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
Good luck with your project. Buy a lot of PB blaster as you will break a lot of bolts. They are the cheapest bolts I have ever seen.

Reactions: Diesel1 and NRATC53

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I mentioned I'd start an official build thread for my '95 Wrangler, seeing as I did more work today, decided to post.

I picked up this '95 Wrangler back in late June after I was in an accident with my Mustang.

View attachment 61620

Added my sticker the day of to the hard top...

View attachment 61621

Few days later I built and installed a grab handle for the passenger...

View attachment 61622

Shortly after this, I was at work one day, and the battery died.
Friend came up to work, jumped me, got her home and swapped out the battery for a newer one.

Next I cleaned the air filter, dumped Lucas Fuel System cleaner down the tank, and topped off the brake fluid.

Few days ago, changed the spark plugs, they were pretty burnt down.

View attachment 61623

After that, I dumped some Chevron fuel treatment in the tank, trying to improve the gas mileage.

Thus far, I've gone through 2 tanks. First tank netted me 210 miles on 15 gallons. This tank, I'm up to 158 miles and only half a tank is gone. I'm shooting for 250-270 miles before I have to fill up again.

Tonight, I removed the rear seat. First, I thought I had to remove the bolts from the floor, and this resulted in me breaking one of the bolts off with a socket wrench.

Later I found out I just had to remove 2 pins.

If anyone needs a rear seat for a YJ, I'll gladly sell this one. In good shape, grey, vinyl.

Once I had it out, I replaced it with a trunk I used to bring to Scout camp. This'll hold my long list of survival supplies, hunting gear, school bag, even fits my soft top windows.

I have a plan to bolt it in using U shaped bolts fed through holes drilled into the trunk.

View attachment 61624

Next, I'm ordering stainless windshield tie-downs to replace the rusted out ones.

In addition, new weatherstripping for the door windows.

Until tomorrow folks.
Rather than U bolts get some steel or even better aluminum bar stock and use regular nuts and bolts with fender washers with the bar stock on the inside of the trunk.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
You seem like a relatively young guy so I will spew some slop you don't want here. I've been there done that got the T - Shirt with customizing cars. Can't help myself, I'm a car guy. Looking back, I wish I had the money I pissed away on stereo systems, lift kits, wheels and tires, plenums, suspension upgrades, short throw shifters, lightweight fly wheels, etc. so I can could have put more down or into my house ....or purchased it sooner!

Yes, I'm still a car guy but from what I learned, the more you touch ish, the more you open a can of worms.

That said, be careful and prudent about what you spend your hard earned coin on as you may wish to have it back later!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I picked up some Stanley brand bolts and locked down the footlocker.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt

Fed the bolts through the pre-existing seat mounts...

Drilled holes in the box...(phrasing - for you Archer fans)

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

And boo yah.

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk Automotive design

Also, thank you for the advice Diesel1, the plan here is to just clean up some of the rusty parts, and make it look presentable as my new DD!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Working my way down a list of "To Do" for the wrangler.

Picked up some duplicolor paint yesterday. Sanded and sprayed the front bumper.

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle

I also went ahead and purchased new floor mats, the old ones were ripped.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Font Material property

Today I hit the headlights and tail lights with some of that restoration cleaner.

While they're not overly cloudy, I think I like the 3M kit better for fully restoring the headlights as it comes with sanding and buffering pads. Ah, well.

Next up will be a rear differential fluid and transmission fluid change, and a new O2 sensor.

Attachments

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,977 Posts
About time you did some real work...

Reactions: The Mustang

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did some work today to prep the jeep for winter.

Changed the thermostat, changed the oil + filter.

Pulled off the mirrors and painted them with bedliner.

Hand Glove Grass Finger Gesture

Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Dragged the hardtop out and repainted that, it was peeling, I sanded it with 100, 150, and 320. Needs more coats of bedliner, I used Duplicolor's Bedliner.

Before
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

After
Plant Light Green Leaf Road surface

More is coming, just waiting for UPS to deliver my parts, I don't want to give away what I'm planning just yet, but I will say it involves LEDs.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Did some work today to prep the jeep for winter.

Changed the thermostat, changed the oil + filter.

Pulled off the mirrors and painted them with bedliner.

View attachment 67915

View attachment 67916

Dragged the hardtop out and repainted that, it was peeling, I sanded it with 100, 150, and 320. Needs more coats of bedliner, I used Duplicolor's Bedliner.

Before
View attachment 67913

After
View attachment 67914

More is coming, just waiting for UPS to deliver my parts, I don't want to give away what I'm planning just yet, but I will say it involves LEDs.
Good stuff so far! Did you paint the hardtop with a rattle can or spray gun?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.