Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
I think they have until the end of the month. I wouldn’t be surprised if that and the abortion opinion are the last ones released after they are on a plane leaving town.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
SCOTUS has until June 30th. Decisions are typically released on Mondays and Wednesdays at 10am. Here is the link to the decisions.

2008 Term Opinions of the Court
I know the Armed Scholar claimed it was coming out this week. As we all know, it will be at the end of the month. He is speculating that the ruling may also effect magazines. Highly unlikely. I am sure it will be big news when the ruling comes out at the end of June.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Boosti-

I agree 100%. I think the Court will stick to “proper cause” being unconstitutional. I do not see an incentive to talk about magazine capacity as part of the Bruen decision for two reasons:
1- it is not a question posed by petitioners and it is not a question that the Court chose to answer when they specified what question the Court chose to answer in Bruen. Of course based on the oral arguments and the issues that came up in conjunction with New York’s willingness to undermine a potential pro 2A decision the Court could rule more broadly.

2-There is a pending magazine capacity case out of NJ being considered for review by the Court. This decision is based on unlawful taking since individuals were forced to turn over “high capacity” magazines or destroy them which it is argued amounts to an unlawful taking of property.

The expectation Is that after Bruen the court has other 2A cases for consideration:
-NJ magazine capacity
-Hawaii CCW/ Open Carry

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,991 Posts
and those that administer the unconstitutional restrictions are running scared

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Actually, my concern is that those who administer the restrictions have zero interest in following the law and absent a really clear decision from SCOTUS they will continue to attempt to criminalize the conduct of lawful and responsible gun owners.

Additionally, the media and politicians have engaged in a very successful fear campaign by painting the picture of what a crazy violent gun toting world we will live in if NY becomes a shall issue State. In my experience lawful gun owners tend to be incredibly responsible and careful but. No one has reported in the fact that there might be zero change if NY becomes a shall issue State. The media has also not objectively analyzed jurisdictions like for example Connecticut which although a May issue jurisdiction routinely issues CCWs.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
and those that administer the unconstitutional restrictions are running scared
They are cutting breaks and dropping gun charges here in New York. A rapper was collared at a security check point with a high capacity magazine and unregistered handgun. All charges dropped. This should be alarming since these laws are not being enforced!

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
They are cutting breaks and dropping gun charges here in New York. A rapper was collared at a security check point with a high capacity magazine and unregistered handgun. All charges dropped. This should be alarming since these laws are not being enforced!
He must’ve shown them his Antifa or BLM membership card.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Had this occurred to a gospel singer on his way back from a safe target shooting outing with his wife and kids, he would have been put in leg irons and had the book thrown at him.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Had this occurred to a gospel singer on his way back from a safe target shooting outing with his wife and kids, he would have been put in leg irons and had the book thrown at him.
The problem is the new mayor is being Mr. Cool and using his influence to undermine the Police. You are correct, a good family man gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but a POS gets the charges dropped.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Boosti-

I agree 100%. I think the Court will stick to “proper cause” being unconstitutional. I do not see an incentive to talk about magazine capacity as part of the Bruen decision for two reasons:
1- it is not a question posed by petitioners and it is not a question that the Court chose to answer when they specified what question the Court chose to answer in Bruen. Of course based on the oral arguments and the issues that came up in conjunction with New York’s willingness to undermine a potential pro 2A decision the Court could rule more broadly.

2-There is a pending magazine capacity case out of NJ being considered for review by the Court. This decision is based on unlawful taking since individuals were forced to turn over “high capacity” magazines or destroy them which it is argued amounts to an unlawful taking of property.

The expectation Is that after Bruen the court has other 2A cases for consideration:
-NJ magazine capacity
-Hawaii CCW/ Open Carry
I think the Maryland case has a good chance. I know some are saying the NYSRPA v. Bruen case will eliminate the 10 round magazine limit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think the Maryland case has a good chance. I know some are saying the NYSRPA v. Bruen case will eliminate the 10 round magazine limit.
I can't see how this case would have anything to do with high capacity mags. It wasn't even part of the question before the Court. As New Yorkers, we should be happy if SCOTUS eliminated the "proper cause" requirement for Full Carry.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,991 Posts
Wow- Were that an ordinary person, the results would likely be VERY different

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
I can't see how this case would have anything to do with high capacity mags. It wasn't even part of the question before the Court. As New Yorkers, we should be happy if SCOTUS eliminated the "proper cause" requirement for Full Carry.
The YouTube channel, Armed Scholar had discussed the NYSRPA v. Bruen could eliminate the high capacity magazines. The petitioner never asked the court about sensitive areas or high capacity magazines. The SCOTUS, has the Maryland case which will hopefully be heard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts