Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
87 Posts
Wondering who will be the first person who requests restrictions be removed followed by a lawsuit when the request is denied
I’ll have no problem asking the people at the sheriff’s department to remove the restrictions. I honestly believe that they will be 100% compliant with the ruling. I can’t say the same about Nassau or Suffolk though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I’ll have no problem asking the people at the sheriff’s department to remove the restrictions. I honestly believe that they will be 100% compliant with the ruling. I can’t say the same about Nassau or Suffolk though.
It's not the local licensing agent that will be the problem. It's the state legislature. Expect more gun control before the legislative session ends in June.

·
Super Moderator
87 Posts
It's not the local licensing agent that will be the problem. It's the state legislature. Expect more gun control before the legislative session ends in June.
I’m not well versed in this area, but isn’t it the local licensing bureau who decides if you get a permit and what type it is? There are counties upstate that have no problem issuing carry permits, then you have the city where it’s almost impossible to even get a target permit. I do understand that the state legislature can pass certain laws to try and restrict where they may be carried.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct, however, the State has already tried enacting bills to amend the Criminal Law in anticipation of the decision. The local licensing authority must abide by the State Law. They are trying to institute training requirements and restrictions on where you can carry. For example one bill currently being proposed would require-
-a safety class with live fire every two years
-followed by a written test administered by the the local licensing authority (for counties with a population greater than 1MM) every two years
-You must carry the paperwork in addition to your license on your person

Another legislation that is currently dead proposed making it ilegal to:

-attend a gathering of with more than 15 people
-getting in a cab or Uber
-going to a restaurant
-any public transportation
-going to an airport
-going to a restaurant

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
I’m not well versed in this area, but isn’t it the local licensing bureau who decides if you get a permit and what type it is? There are counties upstate that have no problem issuing carry permits, then you have the city where it’s almost impossible to even get a target permit. I do understand that the state legislature can pass certain laws to try and restrict where they may be carried.
The issuing County Judge, Police Commissioner or Suffolk County Sheriff have the ability to place administrative restrictions and requirements. I expect strict laws in many states preventing concealed carry of handguns in sensitive locations after the ruling in June.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Boosti, I agree, however, however the State is trying to come up with a new scheme to make it as difficult as possible while appearing to comply with a pro 2A decision. The changes being proposed are to the Penal Law meaning that local issuing authorities will have to comply with at least the requirements of the new law.

I wish objective research would be performed prior to proposing any legislation. For example, in Washington DC once the CCW laws changed there was a significant increase in the number of CCWs, If remember correctly, the number of CCWs went from 200 to over 4,000 with no statistical difference in the commission of crime with lawfully owned firearms

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
In the oral arguments, it was brought up that many law abiding citizens use public transportation, use the subway. A recent bill introduced was canned because the liberals are aware it could backfire if this was passed before the ruling.
I expect more signs posted at private businesses and laws passed that make it a crime if caught carrying a concealed weapon where prohibited.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
One of the obstacles for the antis is their wealthy and powerful friends, those that have a license, will have to comply with the training and restrictions. I think it's difficult to carve out exemptions on training and places you can legally carry that don't apply to all citizens that have a license. How many of them would want to abide by these rules?

·
Super Moderator
87 Posts
So while I was at the Sheriffs office today, I asked him about this scenario. He said if the SC issues a black and white decision, then they will follow it to the letter. He said it could also contain a gray area open to interpretation. In that case they will refer to the county attorney for guidance, not the state legislature.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
So while I was at the Sheriffs office today, I asked him about this scenario. He said if the SC issues a black and white decision, then they will follow it to the letter. He said it could also contain a gray area open to interpretation. In that case they will refer to the county attorney for guidance, not the state legislature.
The Suffolk County Sheriff is an elected official and makes the decision on how he operates his office. Prior to Sheriff DeMarco. The Suffolk Sheriff did issue Full Carry. The current crime problem in the country has even changed the opinion of the Los Angeles County Sheriff to start giving full carry in one of the hardest counties to get a pistol license.

·
Super Moderator
87 Posts
The Suffolk County Sheriff is an elected official and makes the decision on how he operates his office. Prior to Sheriff DeMarco. The Suffolk Sheriff did issue Full Carry. The current crime problem in the country has even changed the opinion of the Los Angeles County Sheriff to start giving full carry in one of the hardest counties to get a pistol license.
That was the impression that I was under as well. That the Sheriff calls the shots for his office. I was surprised when he said that they would have to consult with the county attorney if there is a gray area in the decision. He did say however like I said, if it’s in black and white with no room for interpretation, then they would follow the letter of the law. This came from an employee of the Sheriff’s Dept, not the Sheriff himself so I guess we can take it with a grain of salt.
Let’s Go Clarence!

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
That was the impression that I was under as well. That the Sheriff calls the shots for his office. I was surprised when he said that they would have to consult with the county attorney if there is a gray area in the decision. He did say however like I said, if it’s in black and white with no room for interpretation, then they would follow the letter of the law. This came from an employee of the Sheriff’s Dept, not the Sheriff himself so I guess we can take it with a grain of salt.
Let’s Go Clarence!
I am certain the ruling will strike down New York’s Pistol License requirement for “Proper Cause” removing the restrictions. Clarence Thomas is expected to write the majority. We know from oral arguments that the attorneys for New York agreed to a right to carry outside the home. The issue is removing the opportunity for any state law restricting the ability to carry a concealed weapon in public. I am sure the liberal progressives are about to pass strict laws with carrying a concealed firearm in public and private locations.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts