Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe I just don't know if there is one but question is . Is there a New York State rifle and pistol range? If so how many and where? I can only find rifle ranges on Long island that are County or privately owned. Now the State spends tons of money on Golf causes, biycle paths, parks for camping, swimming, hiking etc. So where are the State ranges?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I highly doubt it.

*sigh* ... I still dream about the beautiful mountain side free public range in Hawaii. It had a a steel range the size of the entire rifle line at calverton just for pistol cals and .22s, a rifle range that had 0-200 target stands with gongs out to 400 or 500 yards, a pistol only side, about half an acre dedicated to trap/skeet, and a massive archery range. The firing line was covered, there were courteous but safe RO's, clean bathrooms... Oh, and there were far less taxes there somehow.

:'(

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
AkunaMatata said:
I highly doubt it.

*sigh* ... I still dream about the beautiful mountain side free public range in Hawaii. It had a a steel range the size of the entire rifle line at calverton just for pistol cals and .22s, a rifle range that had 0-200 target stands with gongs out to 400 or 500 yards, a pistol only side, about half an acre dedicated to trap/skeet, and a massive archery range. The firing line was covered, there were courteous but safe RO's, clean bathrooms... Oh, and there were far less taxes there somehow.

:'(
SNAP OUT OF IT! That much land in Hawaii would cost more than LIF memberships net worth!....clean bathrooms he wants...sissy!

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Mad Russian said:
SNAP OUT OF IT! That much land in Hawaii would cost more than LIF memberships net worth!....clean bathrooms he wants...sissy!
It would be cheaper than on Long Island, to buy and to keep.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
There is no NYS range. About 8-10 years ago, an ad-hoc committee was formed to look into the possibility of purchasing or leasing land and establishing a shooting center that would be sponsored by NYSRPA. The dream was to have rifle, shotgun and pistol sports all at one great venue like many of the state ranges elsewhere in our country have. We even went as far as getting some degree of approval from the Mayor of Monticello, NY that they would assist in locating suitable land. The final result was that the "committee" could not find private funding for this project as NYS public funding was certainly not going to happen. Most political leaders would not touch this idea with a 10' pole.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
frank57 said:
In florida on the west coast they have a beauiful range that have machine gun shoots on 4th of july the
bathrms are still porta potties :)
There is no porta potty like the ones at calverton! Somehow the fence mounted urinal is nicer than all of them... I think between the 4 of them they have one door that is not even functional.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok the reason I bring it up is, just like schools must spend the same money on girl sports as boys, the State can be made to spend the same on Ranges as on Golf caurses. One group can not be given more than another. Do we have any Attorneys here?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
supercutter said:
Ok the reason I bring it up is, just like schools must spend the same money on girl sports as boys, the State can be made to spend the same on Ranges as on Golf caurses. One group can not be given more than another. Do we have any Attorneys here?
I agree! Fees and taxes from hunting licenses, and hunting equipment pay for a lot of the land management expenses, yet shooting sports are the most regulated, and limited. Golfing takes up an inordinate amount of land, and yet serves comparably very few people. A decent range would take up almost as much space as 300 yard hole, and would serve many more people than golfers.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Mad Russian said:
I agree! Fees and taxes from hunting licenses, and hunting equipment pay for a lot of the land management expenses, yet shooting sports are the most regulated, and limited. Golfing takes up an inordinate amount of land, and yet serves comparably very few people. A decent range would take up almost as much space as 300 yard hole, and would serve many more people than golfers.
Freinds of mine back in Arkansas used to call it "cow pasture pool". But on the topic. Whenever I go to our friends summer bbq's "golf" is always the topic of conversation and I have to sit and listen to this stuff. Got one friend that goes to "golf camp" down south. Anyhow. These guys have to wait to get into these courses because they're full up and they usually drop around a $100 a person in these places. These golf courses are cash cows and I'm not sure the demand for a shooting range would compare. From what my friends say - if you opened more golf courses on the island there'd still be a wait to get in.

Paul

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,825 Posts
The only "state" range I know about, in NY, is the one at Camp Smith and that is only open to the public on a very limited basis, for groups, which can provide the proper insurance.
Gary

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
The county range at Blue Mountain near Peekskill is a very nice range.  They have 100, 200 yard rifle, pistol and small rifle caliber ranges as well as trap and skeet.  It's a haul from LI, but the rates aren't extreme, the RO's are pretty good, and the port a potty is relatively neat.  It has limited hours though which is the punch line, Thursday through Sunday only 10-4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.