Long Island Shooters Forum banner

NYS Preparedness Corp Training - Suffolk - Just opened up

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  100MPG 
#1 ·
FYI, for those interested in the 2hr NYS Preparedness Course, its just opened up again in Suffolk, details below.

Registration is first come first served.

"Our next training will be:
Saturday, January 9, 2016

2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Riverhead Free Library
Grand Room
330 Court St.
Riverhead, NY 11901

To register, visit http://www.prepare.ny.gov/training-events"

Reactions: FredW56
#3 ·
Education is a good thing, although I suspect its basic.

"Participants will be advised on how to properly prepare for any disaster, including developing a family emergency plan and stocking up on emergency supplies. A key component of this training is distribution of free NYS Disaster Preparedness Kits to all participants (one per family) containing key items to assist individuals in the immediate aftermath of a disaster. The state training and kits will help New Yorkers be the most-trained and best-prepared citizens in the country."

#4 ·
I just did it in Babylon in October. It wasn't bad. Not great but it was worth going to if only to get the backpack kit which is a good starter. I used it for my NYC office "get home" bag and added to it.

#11 ·
I should sign up for....Nevermind, my Scouts do more than this...

#15 ·
I was at one ,it seemed geared towards seniors 70 and older. They were all in a panic ........It was given by two soldiers .........I thought it best not to ask about stock piling ammo......The seniors were concerned who was going to carry the cases of bottled water into their house from Costco. I went over one such seniors house ...and in her basement was 6 cases of bottled water. about 50 rolls of paper towels, about 200 roles of toilet paper. various canned vegetables. I guess instead of bugging out she is going to dig in.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any training is good training. Not trying to hijack but some other great training you may want to consider is through both Suffolk and Nassau county's under their CERT Programs. Useful, includes CPR, AED, First Aid and a few other certifications, fire academy training, S&R and other training.
It's free, you get a go bag of basics and it's community based so you can choose to become active or not in the Program after training. All free.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
well, it was as described. they started late and I was already bored. They pretty much told me things I knew but most of the people seemed to have no idea and they must have been through many more seasons than I....but, the back packs were worth the boredom. I am shocked andy sprung for these packs! Oh wait...I, and you, actually paid so, Thanks everyone!
edit
oh yeah, the bag contains duct tape. The only thing better than duct tape is free duct tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.