Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
It is clearly illegal, under Federal Law, for a person who uses "medical" marijuana to buy or possess guns. My question is whether MM cards are being reported to NICS or any other database the FBI uses for background checks. If not, I suspect people with such cards could probably pass a background check and buy guns, though they would still be breaking Federal Law by doing so.

I think marijuana creates sort of a paradox for Left Wing, anti-gun states. They are pushing weed as a great thing that should be legal, but they hate the idea of citizens owning guns. Will they attempt to enforce the ban on pot smokers owning or buying guns or look the other way?
Having a MM card prior to buying a gun and then filing out the 4473 incorrectly seems like a terrible idea. Even if the state didn't care, the feds have clearly said that they care, and having the card prior to the purchase certainly shows that the buyer was a user (or intended to be a user) before the purchase. It's sort of like confessing to the crime on record in front of witnesses.

Reactions: Parashooter

· Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Having a MM card prior to buying a gun and then filing out the 4473 incorrectly seems like a terrible idea. Even if the state didn't care, the feds have clearly said that they care, and having the card prior to the purchase certainly shows that the buyer was a user (or intended to be a user) before the purchase. It's sort of like confessing to the crime on record in front of witnesses.
I'd see it more as leaving yourself open to potential, but perhaps unlikely criminal charges, and having to always worry about it. The person would be leaving a trail of evidence, but I'm not sure how likely it would be that anyone would follow that trail. I kind of doubt the ATF is aggressively hunting down MM card holders who have guns or who purchased guns after getting the cards.

In the normal course of life, people are much more likely to run into local and state police, and have their illegal guns discovered by them, than by the Feds. If I were in that position, I'd be more worried about how the state is handling things.

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
In the normal course of life, people are much more likely to run into local and state police, and have their illegal guns discovered by them, than by the Feds. If I were in that position, I'd be more worried about how the state is handling things.
Yup, but in the post-arrest world, the first thing that happens is that the guns get traced. The ATF calls the dealer on the phone and asks for copies of the 4473 to be emailed over right away. This establishes that the guns were in the possession of the legal buyer.

I was called for one today, the gun wwas purchased earlier this year.

The initial arrest can be local PD, but the 4473 gets looked at. If you lied on the form....the ATF gets to pile on some charges and they didn't even have to do the hard work of finding and arresting the guy. It's like getting free lunch!

Reactions: Parashooter

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Boosti, LI Ammo thank you.

Now, just wondering how long before Cumo links card data base to gun permits for surrender like other states.
How dare you suggest that a servant of the people (like our Governor) would trap innocent citizens into the criminal justice loop without any prior evidence of a crime.

Oh, wait, never mind....

· Registered
863 Posts
Step 1. Go to range. Step 2. Shoot a bunch of rounds. Step 3. Have a Bud Light while cleaning your guns. Problem solved...

PS Don't tell Cuomo about the Bud Light

· Registered
11,590 Posts
It is clearly illegal, under Federal Law, for a person who uses "medical" marijuana to buy or possess guns. My question is whether MM cards are being reported to NICS or any other database the FBI uses for background checks. If not, I suspect people with such cards could probably pass a background check and buy guns, though they would still be breaking Federal Law by doing so.

I think marijuana creates sort of a paradox for Left Wing, anti-gun states. They are pushing weed as a great thing that should be legal, but they hate the idea of citizens owning guns. Will they attempt to enforce the ban on pot smokers owning or buying guns or look the other way?
What paradox? - They WANT to ban guns - they WANT to control the people... Get them hooked on pot and they get stupid (potheads THINK they're smart.... the people that have to deal with them KNOW they're idiots) and easy to control (recall Indians and Alcohol....) Now that they're all happily toking away, the confiscations can begin... And so it goes.... they get the votes by making the sheep high... then proceed with their agenda.

How does having a Mary J card disqualify you?

I can see being caught using, but having just a card, how so?
What would someone say? "Yeah, I applied for, paid for, and received the card, which I have in my wallet... But I Don't actually USE the stuff///" ??? so yes, just having the card will be enough to prohibit.

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
What paradox? - They WANT to ban guns - they WANT to control the people... Get them hooked on pot and they get stupid (potheads THINK they're smart.... the people that have to deal with them KNOW they're idiots) and easy to control (recall Indians and Alcohol....) Now that they're all happily toking away, the confiscations can begin... And so it goes.... they get the votes by making the sheep high... then proceed with their agenda.

What would someone say? "Yeah, I applied for, paid for, and received the card, which I have in my wallet... But I Don't actually USE the stuff///" ??? so yes, just having the card will be enough to prohibit.
Federal court upholds ban on gun sales to medical marijuana card holders

The 9th Circuit in its 3-0 decision said Congress reasonably concluded that marijuana and other drug use "raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated."

The court also concluded that it's reasonable for federal regulators to assume a medical marijuana card holder was more likely to use the drug.

· Registered
12,439 Posts
It's funny how many alcoholics or former drug addicts use pot. Someone with a drug or alcohol problem must be sober. Getting high on pot is still a problem. The progressive liberals are pushing pot for a reason.

· Registered
987 Posts
Boosti, LI Ammo thank you.

Now, just wondering how long before Cumo links card data base to gun permits for surrender like other states.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sure that there are gun control advocates in government who have already figured this one out and are just waiting to drop the hammer.

Just imagine how many gun owners in states where marijuana has been legalized who are now illegal gun owners.

· Registered
2,227 Posts
federally yes its illegal but according to my ccw class i took its not illegal on the state level who knows not something im worryed about
NYS considers "firearms" to be pistols that require a license. Holding that license is mutually exclusive with holding a medical marijuana card here. Plain and simple. If you have a pistol license and apply for a medical marijuana card, the pistol licensing department will revoke your license and confiscate ALL of your guns (including long arms not on the license). If you have a medical marijuana card and apply for a pistol license, you will be denied.

As for how this pans out with recreational marijuana within NYS, I have no idea, nor do I care to opine on the question.

· Registered
1 Posts
It is a federal law that individuals who use marijuana, even for medical purposes, are prohibited from possessing firearms. However, it is important to check with local authorities as state laws may vary. Be aware of the laws and regulations in your own state, such as Oklahoma and its Best Oklahoma dispensaries, before making any decisions related to firearms ownership and medical marijuana use.

· Registered
266 Posts
NYS considers "firearms" to be pistols that require a license. Holding that license is mutually exclusive with holding a medical marijuana card here. Plain and simple. If you have a pistol license and apply for a medical marijuana card, the pistol licensing department will revoke your license and confiscate ALL of your guns (including long arms not on the license). If you have a medical marijuana card and apply for a pistol license, you will be denied.

As for how this pans out with recreational marijuana within NYS, I have no idea, nor do I care to opine on the question.
ya not somthing im interested in

21 - 36 of 36 Posts