Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
12,456 Posts
Does anyone know if you can still own firearms if you get approved for MM? A friend of mine did and I told him I did not think he could still legally own in NY. Has anyone seen an official notice of anything about this?
Federal Law prohibits anyone who uses marijuana from owning a firearm. A medical marijuana card will get you denied if the salesman caught a glimpse of it when you went to show ID.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Federal Law prohibits anyone who uses marijuana from owning a firearm. A medical marijuana card will get you denied if the salesman caught a glimpse of it when you went to show ID.
Have you seen anything official? What about already owning firearms, what would be the protocol? You have to surrender or transfer them to someone else?

· Registered
12,456 Posts
Have you seen anything official? What about already owning firearms, what would be the protocol? You have to surrender or transfer them to someone else?
Federal Law prohibition, marijuana is a schedule 1 drug. Under Federal Law a LGS can't sell you a firearm with that card belonging to you. Owning them is not allowed under Federal Law.
You can Google it, sorry, most people know it's a Federal Law already and choose pot over guns.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Federal Law prohibition, marijuana is a schedule 1 drug. Under Federal Law a LGS can't sell you a firearm with that card belonging to you. Owning them is not allowed under Federal Law.
You can Google it, sorry, most people know it's a Federal Law already and choose pot over guns.
yeah I am searching for it, I see 11e basically states that federal gov't doesn't recognize it as legal.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You already know the answer to that question. Yes, the police will be knocking at the door when they find out about it.
I wonder if the federal govt change the law, and you already had to give your stuff up, would you be allowed to either get it back, or reapply to purchase new.

Side note: I'm not looking to cause anyone and problems. If a moderator feels this should be closed and deleted, I understand. The last thing I am looking to do is cause any distress neither here or at a personal level for anyone.

· Registered
419 Posts
If said friend has a pistol license, the police will be knocking on the door before his medical marijuana card arrives in the mail. The Honolulu police department used the list of medical MJ card holders to cross reference their gun registration database. Even if MJ becomes legal at the federal level, the states can still keep/enact their own prohibitions of gun ownership to MJ users, especially in anti gun NY.

· Premium Member
7,048 Posts
The BATFE clearly listed it on the 4473 form. Tell you're buddy no guns or ammo since he chose pot.
It is clearly illegal, under Federal Law, for a person who uses "medical" marijuana to buy or possess guns. My question is whether MM cards are being reported to NICS or any other database the FBI uses for background checks. If not, I suspect people with such cards could probably pass a background check and buy guns, though they would still be breaking Federal Law by doing so.

I think marijuana creates sort of a paradox for Left Wing, anti-gun states. They are pushing weed as a great thing that should be legal, but they hate the idea of citizens owning guns. Will they attempt to enforce the ban on pot smokers owning or buying guns or look the other way?

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
How does having a Mary J card disqualify you?

I can see being caught using, but having just a card, how so?

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
From the 4473 form (known as the background check)

11.e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug or any other controlled substance? WARNING: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

(In the old days, this was called a Buzzkill)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts