Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming the Training portion of the CCIA will stick, I would like to take the course prior to my Suffolk renewal in April 2023.
I am hearing, and seeing various prices for those that are offering the Required Training for Concealed Carry. I think it would be great if this LIF Forum could make a sticky with people, or places that offer the course with prices, or at least contact info to contact. I have heard $400 as the cheapest so far, and I hope this gets cheaper as time goes on. I saw this posted at the Islip Rifle and Pistol range yesterday.
Font Rectangle Pattern Creative arts Paper

·
Registered
381 Posts
Assuming the Training portion of the CCIA will stick, I would like to take the course prior to my Suffolk renewal in April 2023.
I am hearing, and seeing various prices for those that are offering the Required Training for Concealed Carry. I think it would be great if this LIF Forum could make a sticky with people, or places that offer the course with prices, or at least contact info to contact. I have heard $400 as the cheapest so far, and I hope this gets cheaper as time goes on. I saw this posted at the Islip Rifle and Pistol range yesterday. View attachment 141135

If/ When you guys get your training, do not hesitate to go with retired NYPD Detective Micheal P. Cusumano 516 849-5910 from Gold Shield Tactical. He was absolutely great! He was patient through the Live fire training, entertaining, thorough, and extremely knowledgeable during 16-hour seat time. We had a great time and learned a truckload of important information. What a first-class act !! Moreover, no matter what level each classmate was at, he was determined that you walk with credentials in hand and had the skills to back up the certificate. There was no arrogance just a humble guy looking to take you through the CCIA process. I have taken about 4 different classes from different trainers but Detective Cusumano was by far the best in all categories of training. Detective Cusumano should be on your speed dial when you're ready to go.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My license is up for renewal this early spring but I'm opting to sit it out a while with my "sportsman" till the smoke clears. If the CCIA somehow stays in effect the "carry" is pointless unless you want to carry around your backyard. Plus something about paying $500.00 bucks for a constitutional right....actually double that for me as my wife has a license too....just rubs me so wrong. Can always get it amended anytime if things go our way but I am very skeptical about that now. I don't trust the federal judges in NY and who knows what happens after that. How many years?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
My license is up for renewal this early spring but I'm opting to sit it out a while with my "sportsman" till the smoke clears. If the CCIA somehow stays in effect the "carry" is pointless unless you want to carry around your backyard. Plus something about paying $500.00 bucks for a constitutional right....actually double that for me as my wife has a license too....just rubs me so wrong. Can always get it amended anytime if things go our way but I am very skeptical about that now. I don't trust the federal judges in NY and who knows what happens after that. How many years?
I have heard of these courses being given for $200.00 in Nassau County. The prices are coming down with more competition.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have heard of these courses being given for $200.00 in Nassau County. The prices are coming down with more competition.
I signed up with Safety Quest for December. $250. My dad has been doing his HR 218 with them for 15 years. They are booked thru December and haven't listed anything on their calendar past December yet. Here is the link: Safety Quest Course Calendar

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would add Campsite , in Huntington. I took it there, for personal reasons, though it has a high end price tag. ( I was in their 1st class, and it wasn’t as expensive, as currently posted )
I will say it was one of the most interesting classes, on just about any subject, that I have ever attended. That would be due to the Instructor’s bio and experiences. Was a great class, and if not for the cost, I would like to go through again. The class is now posted at $595 ( I warned you, lol)

“All classroom time will be completed at The Campsite Sport Shop and the range time will be in West Babylon.
Course taught by NRA Instructor and Retired FBI Special Agent/Principal Firearms Instructor Dave Coletti, of PFI Training Group LLC.
Dave retired in 2019 as head of the Firearms Training Unit of the FBI New York Division, and has been a firearms instructor for over 30 years. As Instructor, Rangemaster and Unit Chief he has taught hundreds of law enforcement officers, military personnel and private citizens in the safe and effective use of firearms, as well as instructor-level courses in pistol, shotgun and carbine.
Prior to his fulltime firearms instructor duties in the FBI, Dave served as an investigator, planning and executing high risk operations involving international drug cartels and violent gangs for over 15 years.
Dave has been an active competitor in numerous shooting disciplines, placing highly in USPSA, IDPA, GSSF, NRA Conventional Pistol, NSSA, NSCA and high-powered rifle. As an international competitor in Summer Biathlon (pistol and cross-country running), Dave won a silver medal in the 2011 World Police & Fire Games, the gold medal at the 2014 Canadian-American Games, and two gold medals in the 2015 WPFG.
Dave holds numerous factory armorer certifications from Smith & Wesson, SIG-Sauer, Glock, Heckler & Koch, Colt and Barrett.
Dave is also an attorney, admitted in New York State in the 2nd Department.”

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would add Campsite , in Huntington. I took it there, for personal reasons, though it has a high end price tag. ( I was in their 1st class, and it wasn’t as expensive, as currently posted )
I will say it was one of the most interesting classes, on just about any subject, that I have ever attended. That would be due to the Instructor’s bio and experiences. Was a great class, and if not for the cost, I would like to go through again. The class is now posted at $595 ( I warned you, lol)

“All classroom time will be completed at The Campsite Sport Shop and the range time will be in West Babylon.
Course taught by NRA Instructor and Retired FBI Special Agent/Principal Firearms Instructor Dave Coletti, of PFI Training Group LLC.
Dave retired in 2019 as head of the Firearms Training Unit of the FBI New York Division, and has been a firearms instructor for over 30 years. As Instructor, Rangemaster and Unit Chief he has taught hundreds of law enforcement officers, military personnel and private citizens in the safe and effective use of firearms, as well as instructor-level courses in pistol, shotgun and carbine.
Prior to his fulltime firearms instructor duties in the FBI, Dave served as an investigator, planning and executing high risk operations involving international drug cartels and violent gangs for over 15 years.
Dave has been an active competitor in numerous shooting disciplines, placing highly in USPSA, IDPA, GSSF, NRA Conventional Pistol, NSSA, NSCA and high-powered rifle. As an international competitor in Summer Biathlon (pistol and cross-country running), Dave won a silver medal in the 2011 World Police & Fire Games, the gold medal at the 2014 Canadian-American Games, and two gold medals in the 2015 WPFG.
Dave holds numerous factory armorer certifications from Smith & Wesson, SIG-Sauer, Glock, Heckler & Koch, Colt and Barrett.
Dave is also an attorney, admitted in New York State in the 2nd Department.”

I was in Dave’s first class too. He was excellent and well worth the $. When I presented a not so clear copy of my certificate to NCPD licensing officer for my upgrade he seemed hesitant to accept anything less than an original until I threw out Dave’s name. He immediately took it no questions asked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was in Dave’s first class too. He was excellent and well worth the $. When I presented a not so clear copy of my certificate to NCPD licensing officer for my upgrade he seemed hesitant to accept anything less than an original until I threw out Dave’s name. He immediately took it no questions asked.
That was a damn fine class.
Are you doing Utah class, next Thursday?

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I signed up with Safety Quest for December. $250. My dad has been doing his HR 218 with them for 15 years. They are booked thru December and haven't listed anything on their calendar past December yet. Here is the link: Safety Quest Course Calendar
Anyone take the CCW class with Safety Quest? Just wondering how they are.
Any issue with the certificate?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Taking class in December. I'm folding like a cheap camera.
Well, you can give Latisha James what she wants, which is to derail your quest to carry. Or, you can take the course. I chose later, not giving Latisha James anything. Additionally, you will walk away with a little bit more knowledge and skill than you had before. The argument is, why should anyone have to pay for this course? It's unconstitutional for all, especially, for those that don't have the financial resources to pay for it. Lastly, what stops them from making the marksmanship practicum impossible to pass? Not to mention the limitation of handicapped persons who can be derailed in this process of 18 hours of training. For these reasons and more, the training needs to be stopped, but I am not waiting years before that manifest. We are much closer to having the sensitive zones lifted before the training will be lifted.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We covered the bulk of the course in 3 nights each 5 hours modules. It starts with firearm safety and continues into situations and dealing with de-escalation and continues with where you can and can not carry and so on. They get into how to carry and discuss holsters and atire.. The course was very well layed out. On the 4 th night we did a quick follow-up and then took the written test follow up by the live fire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts