Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
What happens if one of the “fiefdoms” declares that they do not recognize that particular class for some made up reason?
I spoke to governors office last week about something else and it doesn’t seem like they even know where this class could be taken in ny. I can’t see spending money on something that’s not 100% recognized!

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
I spoke to governors office last week about something else and it doesn’t seem like they even know where this class could be taken in ny. I can’t see spending money on something that’s not 100% recognized!
It seems the state is leaving the training requirements to the counties discretion. So far, no posts have surfaced anywhere that a County turned down anyone who completed the 18 hour training course.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Has anyone received there full carry after taking class in Suffolk county?
I am hearing from my former colleague who is being asked by other members of service for friends and family with a pistol license. He said “just wait this out. Something will eventually give, the failed lawsuit gave breathing room for Albany to just sit back.”
His opinion, is wait. The internal correspondence being posted at the PD is telling cops that you are very limited where you can carry.
Those private businesses must have a sign posted to allow concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone received there full carry after taking class in Suffolk county?
This is my exact question. All I hear about is if you sign up and pay you’re a chump and un-American but for those that are willing to do it I have yet to hear of anyone who’s license was actually upgraded.
I get that for some people it is a lot of money and taking two days off of work is tough but if someone can show me that they actually have been upgraded I will gladly sign up to take the course even if I’m limited to where I can go. I’d rather do that then wait out this process that’s going to take years in Albany.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've expressed my opinion on the classes. Lots
This is my exact question. All I hear about is if you sign up and pay you’re a chump and un-American but for those that are willing to do it I have yet to hear of anyone who’s license was actually upgraded.
I get that for some people it is a lot of money and taking two days off of work is tough but if someone can show me that they actually have been upgraded I will gladly sign up to take the course even if I’m limited to where I can go. I’d rather do that then wait out this process that’s going to take years in Albany.
Welcome to the forum @Nick.11 .
I hope you decide against taking the class, and choose not to conform, cave, and support the unconstitutional and tyrannical whims of the acting governor of NY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've expressed my opinion on the classes. Lots

Welcome to the forum @Nick.11 .
I hope you decide against taking the class, and choose not to conform, cave, and support the unconstitutional and tyrannical whims of the acting governor of NY.
I get it, I truly do about it being unconstitutional but living in NY I have to chalk certain things up to “it is what it is”. I’m hoping for a quick governor change coming up but even that I’m hopelessly optimistic. Im not a fan of these places offering the courses when we don’t even know if they will satisfy the requirements without some sort of guarantee/refund.

·
Registered
283 Posts
waiting...lol, ....and waiting....and waiting....for what? the easter bunny? the 2A gods to come down from the heavens....lol. They are laughing, thinking how well theyre plan is working. Nothing will happen...in fact it will get even worse, because "waiting" is what they want you to do.its what they expect half of us to do. And waiting benefits them not us. Courts dont give a rats ass about your rights...and NYS sure the fuck dont. Stop expecting these golden chocolate bar....decisions. the gig is up and fully on its way down the toilet from here.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
waiting...lol, ....and waiting....and waiting....for what? the easter bunny? the 2A gods to come down from the heavens....lol. They are laughing, thinking how well theyre plan is working. Nothing will happen...in fact it will get even worse, because "waiting" is what they want you to do.its what they expect half of us to do. And waiting benefits them not us. Courts dont give a rats ass about your rights...and NYS sure the fuck dont. Stop expecting these golden chocolate bar....decisions. the gig is up and fully on its way down the toilet from here.
And I thought I was jaded.

The gig is not up it's just started. Were you expecting NYS to roll over and play dead after June 23rd? I'm not a lawyer so I can't answer for why this latest case got tossed on standing. That said the are other cases being lined up in NY and elsewhere challenging provisions of this law that are going to be judged ON THE MERITS and on the merits this law doesn't stand a chance.

Again, judges are going to be very limited in how they rule on the merits given the Bruen decision. They don't want to look like absolute morons by making a decision totally contrary to the Bruen decision that ultimately get overturned. Beyond that convictions are going to start being overturned, as was the case in Texas, because of the new standard of scrutiny established in Bruen. All across the country laws are being struck down or revised. It's going to happen in NY. It is way too soon to be talking about the gig is up three months post Bruen.

• Haha
Reactions: RichLegend

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'll drop this here too:

I'll guess many of you got this same email from Campsite.
Nothing for or against Campsite, but I do give them credit for continuing to try and share info as it becomes available.

Partial quote:

"This is a correction to the previous email. The 16 hr carry conceal class and the 2 hr range session is only needed to be taken to obtain the concealed carry license, the course does not need to be taken for pistol license renewals.

If the 16 hour class is not taken before your next renewal your sportsman pistol license will become a premise license.

Renewal time for Premises every 5 Years
Renewal Time for Concealed Carry every 3 Years"

This backs up what my understanding was after my recent contact(s) with SCPD PLB.
My license expires in 2027.
I ain't changing anything, or taking any course anytime soon, unless the courts set this crap right.
You said your license expires in 2027. I just renewed mine in July 2022 and the expiration date on mine is 2027. But now mine expires in 2023. Are you saying you have a Premisis License ??

·
Registered
335 Posts
Got this off Frequently Asked Questions: New Concealed Carry Law

When will I need to take the firearm safety training course?
Proof of completion of the firearm safety training course is required to obtain a concealed carry license on or after September 1, 2022.

Local licensing officers have the discretion to determine whether a portion or all of the firearms training requirement is satisfied for those applicants who completed a firearm safety course in the previous 5 years.

____

If you took, Hunters Ed, Basic Pistol, Utah within the last 5 years it might work. It may be a pathway to avoid the $500 price tag on current training. With that said, at the least, I am waiting until the governor's race is over before I decide to do anything. If this New Case, "GOA Revised Complaint " sinks I will collect my certificates and walk down SCPD and look for that amendment to happen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is one step closer to removing all guns! My opinion!!!!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Paul,
i recognize your optimism, and even agree with your idea. but i also recognize patterns, paths and agendas...of powerful organizations...bent on the opposite.
I think it is far too soon for a pattern to have been established. That said over the last 25 years the pattern has been more states have CCW, more states have Constitutional carry, the right to keep and bear arms has been extended from in the home to outside the home. Bruen is 3 months old and while NY and CA are attempting to impede the progress progress is being made. NY is going to be sued into compliance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So people will take the 16 hr class then give them your social media info and conceal carry where, in your shower! Unbelievable. well to each their own. JMHO
Exactly!! Then they require you to RE-CERTIFY! Don't worry the price for the course will come down because so many retirees whose wives won't leave New Yawk (sic) because of family will become instructors flooding the market. Hey, it may be worthwhile just watch Psycho, if Janet Leigh had a New York State handgun permit the film may of ended after 20 minutes. Unless of course the film included the aftermath trial of poor Janet, her sentence to prison and the civil reward to the "Psycho" forcing Janet's bankruptcy; that would be a saga requiring 5 to 10 films.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it is far too soon for a pattern to have been established. That said over the last 25 years the pattern has been more states have CCW, more states have Constitutional carry, the right to keep and bear arms has been extended from in the home to outside the home. Bruen is 3 months old and while NY and CA are attempting to impede the progress progress is being made. NY is going to be sued into compliance.
We shall see but unfortunately I do not share your confidence.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts