Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NYS CCW SAFETY TRAINING (NYS COMPLIANCE COURSE).

16 HR CLASS & 2 HR LIVE FIRE RANGE
$495.00 PER PERSON
CLASS WILL BE HELD IN SMITHTOWN ON OCT 17TH, 18TH, 19TH & 20TH FROM 5:30PM TO 10:30PM
IF INTERESTED, E-MAIL DOMINIC: [email protected]
I WAS TOLD THAT THE CLASS IS LIMITED

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
What happens if one of the “fiefdoms” declares that they do not recognize that particular class for some made up reason?

·
Super Moderator
151 Posts
I would contact your local PLB before taking any class to confirm that they’ll accept it. When I was at the Sheriffs PLB last week, he specifically mentioned that they will not just take any certificate, but only by someone who is recognized by the PLB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would contact your local PLB before taking any class to confirm that they’ll accept it. When I was at the Sheriffs PLB last week, he specifically mentioned that they will not just take any certificate, but only by someone who is recognized by the PLB.
yes, you are correct. Do not just sign up for any courses or pay anyone without looking into the credentials. If you have any questions, would like to find out more, reach out to this person [email protected]

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
The County Licensing Officer has the ability to accept training. Check the DCJS memo. The Suffolk Sheriffs Office could provide a list of authorized courses since they are not accepting just any 18 hour course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So people will take the 16 hr class then give them your social media info and conceal carry where, in your shower! Unbelievable. well to each their own. JMHO
very simple - don't take the class. For those of us "idiots" that will be taking the class, and we get the call for the full carry amendment we filed, we'll be able to carry concealed in "non sensitive" areas and our showers lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
very simple - don't take the class. For those of us "idiots" that will be taking the class, and we get the call for the full carry amendment we filed, we'll be able to carry concealed in "non sensitive" areas and our showers lol
Thank god our founding fathers didn’t think along those lines. We wouldn’t have a Constitution and the second amendment, just saying. (Not that the Constitution matters in nys). By the way, I open carry my weapon in the shower. LOL😎

·
Registered
240 Posts
@palermo412 , Welcome to the forum!
ETA: ...wait, lol...shows you have 4 posts, but joined April 2014?
Well, howdy anyhow, new or not, lmao.

Please don't pay for, or take ANY classes until this crap settles and is worked out.
Paying for classes and/or taking them is only conforming to the unconstitutional tyranny.
There is NO sense of urgency to take this class. Please, let's all wait it out together.
Let's give the courts a chance and see what wrongs they can right.

Also take note, even if you take the class, and you get your NYS, County approved full carry license, .....
You can't carry most places!
What is the point? You are just giving in, wasting your time and money, and providing validity to this wrongdoing!
Stop it! Stop it now!

There.
I said it (again).
Probably going to fall on deaf ears, but I had to try.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll drop this here too:

I'll guess many of you got this same email from Campsite.
Nothing for or against Campsite, but I do give them credit for continuing to try and share info as it becomes available.

Partial quote:

"This is a correction to the previous email. The 16 hr carry conceal class and the 2 hr range session is only needed to be taken to obtain the concealed carry license, the course does not need to be taken for pistol license renewals.

If the 16 hour class is not taken before your next renewal your sportsman pistol license will become a premise license.

Renewal time for Premises every 5 Years
Renewal Time for Concealed Carry every 3 Years"

This backs up what my understanding was after my recent contact(s) with SCPD PLB.
My license expires in 2027.
I ain't changing anything, or taking any course anytime soon, unless the courts set this crap right.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I'll drop this here too:

I'll guess many of you got this same email from Campsite.
Nothing for or against Campsite, but I do give them credit for continuing to try and share info as it becomes available.

Partial quote:

"This is a correction to the previous email. The 16 hr carry conceal class and the 2 hr range session is only needed to be taken to obtain the concealed carry license, the course does not need to be taken for pistol license renewals.

If the 16 hour class is not taken before your next renewal your sportsman pistol license will become a premise license.

Renewal time for Premises every 5 Years
Renewal Time for Concealed Carry every 3 Years"

This backs up what my understanding was after my recent contact(s) with SCPD PLB.
My license expires in 2027.
I ain't changing anything, or taking any course anytime soon, unless the courts set this crap right.
I don’t think the statement regard a sportsman license becoming a premise license is accurate. According to the renewal application I got if you had a sportsmen license it remains a sportsmen whether you’ve taken the class or not. The training class is only requiring if you are seeking to have restrictions removed from your sportsmen license. And if you want the restrictions removed you have to wait for the renewal to be processed and then apply for the amended. You cannot make the change in the process of renewal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don’t think the statement regard a sportsman license becoming a premise license is accurate. According to the renewal application I got if you had a sportsmen license it remains a sportsmen whether you’ve taken the class or not. The training class is only requiring if you are seeking to have restrictions removed from your sportsmen license. And if you want the restrictions removed you have to wait for the renewal to be processed and then apply for the amended. You cannot make the change in the process of renewal.
Paul, the PLB's (Suffolk West, Suffolk East, and Nassau) don't know what they're going to do yet. If all their verbal banter has proved anything it's that. We have to hold firm, keep the pressure on, and wait it out.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Paul, the PLB's (Suffolk West, Suffolk East, and Nassau) don't know what they're going to do yet. If all their verbal banter has proved anything it's that. We have to hold firm, keep the pressure on, and wait it out.
Agree.

What's finally going to happen is a moving target at this point. And even when SCPL settles on a process another court decision is probably going to undermine it. This why I'm not making any changes or buying into any training. It's like buying a plane ticket for an unknown destination with flight times that haven't been determined.

·
Right-wing Sith
6,676 Posts
Unfortunately, my Suffolk PD concealed carry permit (Business and Sportsmen) comes up for renewal on Feb. 1, 2023. That's only four months away.

The costs of these classes range from $500- $800 from the places I checked so far. Thats a lot of money to have to shell out every three years.

Another thing, last time I checked the second amendment does not read:

...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Unless you fail to pay the state of your residence hundreds of dollars every several years, and only carry your weapons to places the state allows you too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I hope that is accurate. Mine is coming up in the spring and i have no intention of taking any CC class unless the regular “to and from the range” is now somehow voided. That would be a problem and I would be forced to. I’m willing to sit with my “sportsman” till the courts inevitably overrule.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I hope that is accurate. Mine is coming up in the spring and i have no intention of taking any CC class unless the regular “to and from the range” is now somehow voided. That would be a problem and I would be forced to. I’m willing to sit with my “sportsman” till the courts inevitably overrule.
The renewal application where you select the classification type it says in bold say you can ONLY select the classification that is on your current license. It has dwelling and sportsmen as separate classifications. I’ll post when I get my new license.

Reactions: ViperJon

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
$495 plus time off from work. Just to not be able to carry anywhere anyways sounds like crap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The renewal application where you select the classification type it says in bold say you can ONLY select the classification that is on your current license. It has dwelling and sportsmen as separate classifications. I’ll post when I get my new license.
I just renewed my License on 7/6/22 and it says Sportsman/Carry and expires 7/31/27.At some point i will take a trip to the Sheriff's office in Riverhead and ask them if i don't take the training course
does my License remain as it is. This whole mess is so convoluted , they may not even know !

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I just renewed my License on 7/6/22 and it says Sportsman/Carry and expires 7/31/27.At some point i will take a trip to the Sheriff's office in Riverhead and ask them if i don't take the training course
does my License remain as it is. This whole mess is so convoluted , they may not even know !
NYS created the mess with the passage of S51001. Unfortunately I don't see the mess being resolved as long as the state refuses to comply with the Bruen decision. They will print to applications, handbooks, revise their webpages and over time have to redo them as sections of the new law get struck down. Meanwhile you have folks starting the application process, in the middle of the process and renewing not knowing what the end result will be.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts