Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who asked me to post a question here. He lived on Long Island, and owns long guns on long island for many years. He has now moved to Queens,and has filed for a Rifle/Shotgun Permit. His concern is that he may be denied because of a Petit Larceny Arrest 5 years ago. It was pled to a misdemeanor, and dismissed, sealed record etc.. he has never been in trouble before,or after this arrest. So,, what do you think his chances of getting the permit are? Thanks

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I'm not familiar with the permit / registration process in the City, or what the criteria for denial are, but if it's anything remotely like a pistol license I'd say your chances ... uh, ... I mean, his chances are slim to none. And Slim's bags are packed.

Consider if he's passed a NICS check and bought a gun legitimately since the case was adjudicated. That might be somewhat telling.

Personally, I'd avoid the whole process. For one thing, he'd have to register each gun he plans to possess at his home in Queens. That puts him above the radar and it's a fundamentally bad idea. If possible, he should make arrangements with a friend or family member to store the guns on LI. If that's not an option, maybe find a good secure storage bin nearby in Nassau County. Of course, that rules out the home defense option, so there's that.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I did hear you must own a place outside of NYC to keep them now. Gunshop was telling a customer he can't keep them with a friend.
The arrest wasn't a felony,was dismissed, no problem obtaining his rifle/shotgun permit.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I did hear you must own a place outside of NYC to keep them now. Gunshop was telling a customer he can't keep them with a friend.
The arrest wasn't a felony,was dismissed, no problem obtaining his rifle/shotgun permit.
So you're saying if you live in NYC and you have guns outside the city or outside the State, you have to have a permit and register them in the City?

I wouldn't go by what somebody was told by an attendant at a gun shop. So many are notoriously uninitiated in the law.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
So you're saying if you live in NYC and you have guns outside the city or outside the State, you have to have a permit and register them in the City?

I wouldn't go by what somebody was told by an attendant at a gun shop. So many are notoriously uninitiated in the law.
No permit if you own a place outside of NYC. The gun store can sell under a NY resident, he said the firearms can't stay with a friend. The gun store will sell you a rifle or shotgun with a NYC address.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Multiple federal courts have held that it is a constitutional violation to deny you a firearm for a nonviolent misdemeanor.

Your friend may have to get an attorney to educate the NYC PLB, but he will ultimately prevail.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
When your friend went to file for the permit he had the perfect opportunity to ask these questions to the only people who can actually give him a valid answer and then he could have made an informed decision whether to file or not. Right now he, and you, can wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When your friend went to file for the permit he had the perfect opportunity to ask these questions to the only people who can actually give him a valid answer and then he could have made an informed decision whether to file or not. Right now he, and you, can wait and see what happens.
He did..the women there couldn`t tell him much,either could the Sgt.. They said there will be an investigation etc... and that it could take 6months. So,he filed..what else could he do? He just wanted to know if someone here had a similar situation,and what the outcome was..but based on the responses here,that's not the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not familiar with the permit / registration process in the City, or what the criteria for denial are, but if it's anything remotely like a pistol license I'd say your chances ... uh, ... I mean, his chances are slim to none. And Slim's bags are packed.

Consider if he's passed a NICS check and bought a gun legitimately since the case was adjudicated. That might be somewhat telling.

Personally, I'd avoid the whole process. For one thing, he'd have to register each gun he plans to possess at his home in Queens. That puts him above the radar and it's a fundamentally bad idea. If possible, he should make arrangements with a friend or family member to store the guns on LI. If that's not an option, maybe find a good secure storage bin nearby in Nassau County. Of course, that rules out the home defense option, so there's that.

Just some thoughts.
storage bin? What do you mean ?

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
storage bin? What do you mean ?
You know, these "U-store-it" places you see everywhere these days. I've never used one and I would never store anything of real value in one, least of all guns. But I'm sure some are more secure than others (cameras, climate-controlled, etc.) and people do store guns and other valuables in them. I'm not aware of any laws against it, although some places might declare themselves "gun-free zones".

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
No permit if you own a place outside of NYC. The gun store can sell under a NY resident, he said the firearms can't stay with a friend. The gun store will [not] sell you a rifle or shotgun with a NYC address.
FIFY?

I think you meant to say a gun store will not sell to a NYC resident. I guess you need a purchase document or pre-registration like a pistol? I don't know the process.

But I think if someone who owns guns already moves to NYC, they don't have to do anything under NYC law if they don't bring the guns with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.