Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
By next week, expect to see new laws making it illegal to carry concealed at shopping malls, public transportation etc.
They can try but the decision clearly states that dense population only cannot be used to justify the claim that a particular location (Manhattan was mentioned specifically) a sensitive place.

This decision makes a few things clear, carrying a firearm outside the home for self-defense is a Constitutional right. No special need has to be demonstrated to exercise that right. The definition of a sensitive place can't be justified on the basis of population density alone.

What the decision does not do is set the requirements for issuing a license. Nothing in the decision limits the number of references required or mental heath requirements or training requirements. It doesn't do away with the Suffolk County Questionnaire or reduce the 18 month process to get a license.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The state legislature can and will pass a slew of new gun control laws knowing they won't stand up to court challenge because they do not believe there will be any consequences from 2A groups against them at election time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The NYC City Council Committee on Public Safety and Committee on State and Federal Legislation will hold a joint oversight hearing on "access to firearms: city and state efforts to curb gun violence" at 10:00am today.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
A point of clarification - the issuance of a license without administrative restrictions is the responsibility of the licensing authority. The determination of what a sensitive place is should be up to the legislature. What I am saying is that you should all get your CCWs eventually and the State will then start enacting laws identifying sensitive places that will then be challenged in court.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
A point of clarification - the issuance of a license without administrative restrictions is the responsibility of the licensing authority. The determination of what a sensitive place is should be up to the legislature. What I am saying is that you should all get your CCWs eventually and the State will then start enacting laws identifying sensitive places that will then be challenged in court.
It will take many years for this to make it to the Supreme Court. I believe New York will be very quick with these unreasonable restrictions regarding concealed carry with criminal charges if caught in a shopping mall or sensitive location. This ruling is a big win. New York City will have every Premise License holder applying for concealed carry now!

·
Registered
215 Posts
The MTA announced that it was going to modify its rules to prohibit carrying firearms on its Railroads, Subways and Buses. Currently, persons that are "properly licensed" and in direct possession of the firearm and license, can carry on an MTA conveyance. I wonder if they can prohibit transporting firearms while traveling on any of their bridges and tunnels. I wouldn't put it past someone in the MTA coming up with something ridiculous like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts