Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Guys remember that Heller established the right to bear arms inside the home for self defense. In the District of Columbia it used to be that if you had a permit you could not keep the gun loaded inside the home for self defense. Heller established the right to bear arms inside the home for self defense and did not address the issue of whether said right extended beyond the home.

Bruen in addition to finding “proper cause“ unconstitutional may establish the right to bear arms in public ( beyond your home).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
actually they don’t. I sell the investigative software to them. It’s no different then the ones I sell attorneys and private investigators. Plus it takes less then a minute to get a full report.
Do you? Is that available for civilian purchase?

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,993 Posts
All depends on how narrow or broad the ruling is, and you can bet that the issuing jurisdictions will fight tooth and nail to keep as much power as they can. Judges don't like governments screwing around to circumvent rulings as NYC did- They may take certain steps to emasculate those who make the rules. Agree on the earlier post comparing to the separate but equal case

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
All depends on how narrow or broad the ruling is, and you can bet that the issuing jurisdictions will fight tooth and nail to keep as much power as they can. Judges don't like governments screwing around to circumvent rulings as NYC did- They may take certain steps to emasculate those who make the rules. Agree on the earlier post comparing to the separate but equal case
Many are speculating this case will also effect the magazine restrictions. I doubt the ruling will touch on magazine restrictions or constitutional carry as some have discussed on their YouTube channels.
I guarantee that we will see laws passed preventing concealed carry in most public settings. I can see many of the upstate NY counties requiring an upgrade class which is already required to remove restrictions to unrestricted.
Over 7 million new gun owners since the Biden administration. That’s a lot of worried people!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Curious can the software automatically perform the State-Wide mental health check? I was under the understanding that was a time consuming portion of the background check.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Heller didn't limit the right to possession in the home. It used in the home as one example of possession. That statement of example gets used by those opposed to 2nd Amendment rights to erroneously claim it is a limiting factor. The idea that keeping and bearing arms is limited to the home not only doesn't hold up to rational thinking but historical practice.

The only Constitutional justification for a license is to insure an individual wanting b to purchase a firearm is not a prohibited person. The idea that you can be trusted to possess a firearm on the promise that you will keep it in the home or only leave the house to go to the range or hunting with it has always seemed a bit bizarre to me. Either you have the right to keep and bear arms or you don't.

My main point is proper cause in NYS is not just a factor in applying for a license for personal protection but includes premises, sportsman and employment.
I wasn't implying that Heller only protected guns in the home. However, since Premise Licenses were the topic, I was simply using the explicit example mentioned in Heller of possessing and using firearms in the "protection of home and hearth". There was no ambiguity in that statement...Heller, hence the Second Amendment right to bear arms, was most definitely applicable to the home which makes me believe that Premise Licenses are unconstitutional. But that doesn't mean that I personally believe it is only applicable in the home. The comments in the decision permitting firearm bans in "sensitive places" such as schools and government buildings, makes it clear that the decision went past the front door of your home or else why even mention the constitutionality of bans in certain places well beyond the home?

Look, let's see if something comes out next week in the NYSRPA case.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
I wasn't implying that Heller only protected guns in the home. However, since Premise Licenses were the topic, I was simply using the explicit example mentioned in Heller of possessing and using firearms in the "protection of home and hearth". There was no ambiguity in that statement...Heller, hence the Second Amendment right to bear arms, was most definitely applicable to the home which makes me believe that Premise Licenses are unconstitutional. But that doesn't mean that I personally believe it is only applicable in the home. The comments in the decision permitting firearm bans in "sensitive places" such as schools and government buildings, makes it clear that the decision went past the front door of your home or else why even mention the constitutionality of bans in certain places well beyond the home?

Look, let's see if something comes out next week in the NYSRPA case.
Heller stated “
1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm…”to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, SUCH AS self-defense within the home.” Heller didn’t limit the right to the home and that’s clear by the use of the phrase “such as”.

Anyway, we wait and see.

Reactions: RSL

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Outta luck, huh.
it’s not something you want Joe public to have…..it’s scary how deep it goes….dating profiles, social media, your mortgage loans, the boat your hiding from your wife in Minnesota, every investment you own, drug use, criminal records, contact tracing, childhood aliases, unemployment records, your money laundering records, all of your affiliations, taxes owed, skip tracing, all your assets, and the list goes on

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
it’s not something you want Joe public to have…..it’s scary how deep it goes….dating profiles, social media, your mortgage loans, the boat your hiding from your wife in Minnesota, every investment you own, drug use, criminal records, contact tracing, childhood aliases, unemployment records, your money laundering records, all of your affiliations, taxes owed, skip tracing, all your assets, and the list goes on
Yet no CCWs- in spite of the level of scrutiny. Even having AA active security clearance does not help get a CCW in Nassau.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Maybe Tuesday…..
You will see courses offering defensive pistol and various topics covering how to conceal carry and de-escalate, weapon retention etc.
With the anticipated ruling coming soon. I heard a positive message from one of the Counties that it will make the necessary amendments to Full Carry.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,993 Posts
You will see courses offering defensive pistol and various topics covering how to conceal carry and de-escalate, weapon retention etc.
With the anticipated ruling coming soon. I heard a positive message from one of the Counties that it will make the necessary amendments to Full Carry.
That could be a good sign

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
That could be a good sign
It’s about time a County Executive is listening to his constituents and will make the necessary changes if the Supreme Court rules that New York’s Pistol License scheme unconstitutional.
I always liked the idea of training used in upstate Counties to remove restrictions.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts