Long Island Shooters Forum banner

NY City draconian requirements for special carry.

599 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Peconic Paladin
FYI….Even though this “special” carry permit is currently almost worthless, with interminable backlogs, NY city requires 4 letters of character reference, social media names and accounts, separate finger print charge of ($88.25) on top of application fee of $340.00, renewal every 2 years, in person interview and you have to pick the two ( only 2) firearms that you could carry in The city which must be inspected. Isn’t Bruen wonderful? How about a reading class for Hochul and Eric?
Reactions: 1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
i would never carry in NYC and i carry everyday on long island . Alvin brags would hang u if u ever used it even if it was justified. You would be labeled a vigilante and a racist
  • Angry
Reactions: 2
FYI….Even though this “special” carry permit is currently almost worthless, with interminable backlogs, NY city requires 4 letters of character reference, social media names and accounts, separate finger print charge of ($88.25) on top of application fee of $340.00, renewal every 2 years, in person interview and you have to pick the two ( only 2) firearms that you could carry in The city which must be inspected. Isn’t Bruen wonderful? How about a reading class for Hochul and Eric?
If you have friends or family that live in the city. A Special Carry is definitely a bonus.
Isnt this in one of the active cases? A state permit, is a state permit?
Not sure. Hope so. They are taxing us into submission.
One very old (1970s) TV show character would say: "Patience is a virtue, grasshopper." Consequently, I ask you to look at A New Yorker is Fighting a One-Man Battle Against the..., then read about Murdock v PA.
Gary
With lawsuits making it through the lower courts, we will eventually see those sensitive/restricted locations ruled unconstitutional. I know the NYPD is inundated with applications for Fully Carry. They can’t deny you a pistol license now with Bruen.
In other words, they require everything they do of every other pistol license application.

The silly thing is the penal law merely requires "validation" of the non-City NYS pistol license not a separate licensing process.

Nothing to do with CCIA of course, but just another example of what jerks they are in charge.
Did you apply? It’s actually valid for 3 years but yeah it’s a pretty useless license like out NYS full carry is. I’ve thought of applying for it just to have it (despite no interest in carrying in NYC) but I have yet to do the 18 hour course.
Yes. Interview and prints tmrw. Lot of documentation.
Yes. Interview and prints tmrw. Lot of documentation.
Excellent Job. Good luck.

Do you have any business or residential address or other connection to NYC like the paperwork/application instructions/rule changes say you have to?

I have wanted to apply myself since late June 2022, given that I have no connection to the five boroughs and that the license is pretty much no good everywhere, I don't want to go through the expense and agony to establish that connection.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts