Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NSA Phone Tracking 'Acceptable' To Over Half Of Americans

There's about a 50/50 chance that you, the individual reading this article, are comfortable with the NSA tracking your phone to fight terrorism. The rest of you have flushed your 4G down the toilet and are currently curled up on your porch with a copy of 1984.

Still not sure whether it's the sad truth, the happy truth, or just the plain truth, but a new poll found that the NSA phone tracking program is "acceptable" to 56 percent of Americans. Over half of us are totally cool with the National Security Agency secretly tracking everyone's phone records to investigate terrorism.

If you're on the pro-privacy side of the fence, 56 percent might seem depressingly high, but statistically speaking, it's only a slim majority over the 41 percent who find the NSA's phone tracking completely "unacceptable."

But why the disparity? Believe it or not, Americans are actually divided right down the middle on most issues. Never saw that coming, did you?

Kidding aside, it's the classic" freedom vs. security" thing. Americans right now are more afraid of potential terrorist threats than they are concerned with invasions of their personal privacy.

These opinions haven't changed much since a 2006 survey on the same subject. Furthermore, there's only a modest partisan difference on the issue.

Over half of Democrats are comfortable with the NSA phone tracking program (69 percent) with 62 percent of Republicans and 59 percent of independents agreeing

A small ray of sunshine for the pro-privacy crowd: Younger people are more likely by far to prioritize privacy over protection against terrorism. However, only 12 percent of that same group said that they're following the NSA phone tracking story closely.
Read more at

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/697686/nsa-phone-tracking-acceptable-to-over-half-of-americans-poll/#3dT0XJcrMdRwVq38.99

·
Banned
10,933 Posts
I am not comfortable at all with that. This quote has never been more true:

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."

- Benjamin Franklin

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts
That's only because the majority of Americans don't even know the NSA phone tracking is happening......Hey, if it doesn't directly affect their everyday existence, most Americans could care less......but, tell them they won't be able to tweet or facebook and watch how fast they'll care......

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,948 Posts
Sounds like results from another sienna college poll. I don't believe the results.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Honestly, I don't see why this is suddenly a huge issue. We knew crap like this would happen when everyone okayed the patriot act, so why all the shock?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Is this coming from the same crowd that brought you "90% support background checks?"

Dov

Reactions: Walker1847

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I hear people at work discussing it and they say that they don't care because it will keep them safer!

These people are so quick to relinquish their rights and not even understand why or the effect that it will have on us!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If the masses feel safer letting Big Brother control their lives, so be it, I respect their right to do so. I will continue to question everything as I was brought up to. I refuse to be a part of the herd of dumbed-down sheep we are developing into in this country.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
Frankly I do not understand why the NSA needs the data. A better approach would be to mandate that the providers keep the data for 7-10 years and then if they need the info because there is a suspect, then you get a warrant.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Frankly I do not understand why the NSA needs the data. A better approach would be to mandate that the providers keep the data for 7-10 years and then if they need the info because there is a suspect, then you get a warrant.
If you don't trust the government with your data then why would you trust private companies?

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
Assimilation is almost complete through the last couple of generations being brainwashed by the liberal driven education system. Resistance is futile!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
How ironic. I'm currently reading 1984 and don't own a cell phone.

It's astonishing how uninformed even your own neighbors/co-workers can be when discussing this and other major issues going on lately. Probably because DWTS or the latest dish being showcased on Food Network is much more important. Very sad.

·
Registered
372 Posts
As per Ben

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
How ironic. I'm currently reading 1984 and don't own a cell phone.

It's astonishing how uninformed even your own neighbors/co-workers can be when discussing this and other major issues going on lately. Probably because DWTS or the latest dish being showcased on Food Network is much more important. Very sad.
Everyone should read 1984, it's the model of what we're rapidly becoming. It's almost like the government is using it as a blueprint. 9/11 will go down as the worst day in US history, not only because we lost thousands of people but also because that was the day we lost the freedom that millions of people died to guarantee for us. I say this because it is my opinion that since 9/11, WE THE PEOPLE have become the enemy, we're the ones being investigated, wiretapped, monitored and so on. It's sickening.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Let em listen to my calls... im not up to anything bad... plus my calls are boring, all i talk about is security cameras and what my wife is cooking for dinner... sooo maybe they can help her choose what to make

1 - 20 of 20 Posts