Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

My twins are about to turn 12 and we would like to get them a NRA Safety course (Basic), before we can take them to the range.

Any information/advise, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great!!!

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Another good idea - and FREE - is to find a NYS DEC Hunter Safety Education class. It is the prerequisite to getting a hunting license, but for anyone planning on Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, and other outdoors recreation ('in the woods') you'll learn something and have fun.

Also - as the Parent, if YOU have the certificate/hunting license, you may allow 14 to 21 year old kids to shoot your handguns legally.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Another good idea - and FREE - is to find a NYS DEC Hunter Safety Education class. It is the prerequisite to getting a hunting license, but for anyone planning on Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, and other outdoors recreation ('in the woods') you'll learn something and have fun.

Also - as the Parent, if YOU have the certificate/hunting license, you may allow 14 to 21 year old kids to shoot your handguns legally.
I checked a few days ago and now the course is on-line only (Covid) until 8/31, and the fee is $20. Wish I could have had the option when I took it in that the in-person classes tend to be long, boring, and peppered with digressions of questionable correctness. Other facilities might be different.

Ken C

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I checked a few days ago and now the course is on-line only (Covid) until 8/31, and the fee is $20. Wish I could have had the option when I took it in that the in-person classes tend to be long, boring, and peppered with digressions of questionable correctness. Other facilities might be different.

Ken C
$20...that figures, the gov. adding fees to further burden us....

·
Registered
320 Posts
AFIK this course has always been required for a hunting license. I took it years ago and it was in person 8 hours and was more than $20 even then.

·
Registered
816 Posts
AFIK this course has always been required for a hunting license. I took it years ago and it was in person 8 hours and was more than $20 even then.
The online class is not required, but good info, IMO. The live classes were free and held at a number of places on LI. you just had to find the right season to attend.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The NRA safety course and a NYS DEC hunter safety course are two different things. You can take a NYS DEC hunter safety course to satisfy a requirement for obtaining a pistol permit or license in most states. Because of COVID, NYS put the hunter safety and bowhunter safety courses online and the company that manages the program instituted the fees, not New York. The hunter safety course is required for first time hunters in order to buy your first hunting license. The NRA course will not satisfy that requirement. Also, the Nassau County range for a while mandated that youth have a "safety" course so we saw an uptick in kids taking the free DEC course. Then when that was not good enough, they mandated that the parent have the course too.

About 2 or 3 years ago, DEC mandated homework be completed prior to taking your hunter safety course. Homework could be done online for free. Kalkomey is the company that manages DEC's online records, licensing and the hunter safety class. Prior to COVID, it was a way to register for classes and take the free homework part. Then you came to our class for the field day and we gave you your certificate. With COVID, Kalkomey instituted the fee and made it so you took the whole course online, took the test and received a certificate. For now, you can attend in person classes again, not sure if that will continue in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts