Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to TX on a business trip, and I know I can legally carry with my FL or UTAH permit. But I don't have the [email protected] to declare the special item at LGA, or at the airport in TX. I know the procedure, read enough about it, but it just ain't going to happen.

I would need to see someone else do it, or maybe do it with someone else. possibly one day, but not this trip.......................

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to TX on a business trip, and I know I can legally carry with my FL or UTAH permit. But I don't have the [email protected] to declare the special item at LGA, or at the airport in TX. I know the procedure, read enough about it, but it just ain't going to happen.

I would need to see someone else do it, or maybe do it with someone else. possibly one day, but not this trip.......................

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
I would be worried about the airports too. However....I have visited PA with my PA license and I enjoyed my freedoms very very much. I am going to NH next month and I plan to enjoy those freedoms again. ;)

If I am not mistaken.....TX is one of the few states that allows you to carry on your NYS license.

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
I would be worried about the airports too. However....I have visited PA with my PA license and I enjoyed my freedoms very very much. I am going to NH next month and I plan to enjoy those freedoms again. ;)

If I am not mistaken.....TX is one of the few states that allows you to carry on your NYS license.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
CJ said:

Few states? There are - Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont... And of course, (sorta) New York.

FIFTEEN States other than your home state respect your right to self-defense.... But not your own state.

it's really no big deal, check your airlines' requirements, print out TSA rules (TSA says ONE of the containers must be hard-sided - you can have a SOFT suitcase and HARD pistol case, or a HARD Suitcase and SOFT pistol case (locking of course)) The airline may have stricter rules... print them all out and have them handy.

You tell the checkin clerk "I have a firearm to declare"... the clerk will call a TSA and or Police to come examine your gun & license, they took copies of my license, you fill out a little card that you put in the gun case...

YOU then lock the gun in the case, DO NOT give the key or combo to anyone else (they're not allowed to have it) and you're off.

My experience, when you claim your bags at your destination, open the suitcase enough to get your hand in and on the pistol case, to make sure the pistol is still there!... Last year on a trip to Omaha NE, someone tried getting into my gun - they buggered the suitcase lock (I had to break it) and had messed with the pistol box.... I called TSA when I couldn't unlock the suitcase, explained what was going on, and the TSA agent sat on the floor with me and helped me break the lock to make sure my guns were still there.... Imagine doing THAT in NY???

Really it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
CJ said:

Few states? There are - Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont... And of course, (sorta) New York.

FIFTEEN States other than your home state respect your right to self-defense.... But not your own state.

it's really no big deal, check your airlines' requirements, print out TSA rules (TSA says ONE of the containers must be hard-sided - you can have a SOFT suitcase and HARD pistol case, or a HARD Suitcase and SOFT pistol case (locking of course)) The airline may have stricter rules... print them all out and have them handy.

You tell the checkin clerk "I have a firearm to declare"... the clerk will call a TSA and or Police to come examine your gun & license, they took copies of my license, you fill out a little card that you put in the gun case...

YOU then lock the gun in the case, DO NOT give the key or combo to anyone else (they're not allowed to have it) and you're off.

My experience, when you claim your bags at your destination, open the suitcase enough to get your hand in and on the pistol case, to make sure the pistol is still there!... Last year on a trip to Omaha NE, someone tried getting into my gun - they buggered the suitcase lock (I had to break it) and had messed with the pistol box.... I called TSA when I couldn't unlock the suitcase, explained what was going on, and the TSA agent sat on the floor with me and helped me break the lock to make sure my guns were still there.... Imagine doing THAT in NY???

Really it's a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
you might be able to leave here ,certainly  be welcolmed  in tx but then you have to land and leave the ny airport !!thats what would worry me I know friends that have had no problems others who had a really nasty time of it

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
you might be able to leave here ,certainly  be welcolmed  in tx but then you have to land and leave the ny airport !!thats what would worry me I know friends that have had no problems others who had a really nasty time of it

·
Registered
765 Posts
LGA is situated within the 5 boroughs of NYC so technically they can apply NYC laws on you...If only McArthur went there....

·
Registered
765 Posts
LGA is situated within the 5 boroughs of NYC so technically they can apply NYC laws on you...If only McArthur went there....

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
DellDude said:
FOPA Covers you if you are licensed here, but NYPD and PAPD do not always know that

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
DellDude said:
FOPA Covers you if you are licensed here, but NYPD and PAPD do not always know that

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
DellDude said:
You're completely allowed to carry your unloaded firearms in a locked box which is exactly how you'll fly with them. You shouldn't worry about a thing.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
DellDude said:
You're completely allowed to carry your unloaded firearms in a locked box which is exactly how you'll fly with them. You shouldn't worry about a thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the blur said:

Texas unilaterally recognizes a NY license to carry a concealed handgun, if you have somehow come up with one. The basic criteria is that the license includes a federal background check, so it seems to me any of your licenses ought to qualify, since I think you have to get a federal check and get a license just to own a gun, transport a gun, think about a gun, use your own bathroom at home while gun is in the house? I am a little foggy on the details, whenever I read about NY gun laws I get massive head pain and vomiting...

Anyway, here is the proclamation issued by Governor Rick Perry recognizing NY conceal carry licenses. You can read for yourself: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/NewYorkproc.pdf

Here is the Texas Department of Public Safety web page with links to all the negotiated agreements and unilateral proclamations: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm

Florida and Utah are among the states with reciprocal agreements.

You should have no trouble whatsoever declaring a gun in checked baggage at a Texas airport, as long as you follow the TSA and airline rules for doing so. I mean, there is always the possibility that you get the one check-in agent who is completely clueless, but Texans fly with guns all the time, me and my wife included. Last time I flew I counted 9 firearms being checked among the people standing in line with me, and those were just the ones I could ID because of the cases (long arms, for example).

You have no problems actually carrying here as long as you remember that concealed is concealed. We have a couple oddball rules about where you can't carry, but some of the oddities are bent in our favor.

I would not see a problem flying back into NY since as far as I know, Mayor NannyBloomers hasn't gotten around to inspecting luggage from arriving flights...yet.

Checking in at JFK or LGA, now -- you are on your own there. It seems you are supposed to be able to do if you have all the proper NY licensing, but your airport cops seem to love busting gun owners and even when the charges get thrown out the courts seem to do nothing to discourage it. Good luck with that part.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Texas and have a successful business trip.

Alamo

·
Registered
23 Posts
the blur said:

Texas unilaterally recognizes a NY license to carry a concealed handgun, if you have somehow come up with one. The basic criteria is that the license includes a federal background check, so it seems to me any of your licenses ought to qualify, since I think you have to get a federal check and get a license just to own a gun, transport a gun, think about a gun, use your own bathroom at home while gun is in the house? I am a little foggy on the details, whenever I read about NY gun laws I get massive head pain and vomiting...

Anyway, here is the proclamation issued by Governor Rick Perry recognizing NY conceal carry licenses. You can read for yourself: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/NewYorkproc.pdf

Here is the Texas Department of Public Safety web page with links to all the negotiated agreements and unilateral proclamations: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm

Florida and Utah are among the states with reciprocal agreements.

You should have no trouble whatsoever declaring a gun in checked baggage at a Texas airport, as long as you follow the TSA and airline rules for doing so. I mean, there is always the possibility that you get the one check-in agent who is completely clueless, but Texans fly with guns all the time, me and my wife included. Last time I flew I counted 9 firearms being checked among the people standing in line with me, and those were just the ones I could ID because of the cases (long arms, for example).

You have no problems actually carrying here as long as you remember that concealed is concealed. We have a couple oddball rules about where you can't carry, but some of the oddities are bent in our favor.

I would not see a problem flying back into NY since as far as I know, Mayor NannyBloomers hasn't gotten around to inspecting luggage from arriving flights...yet.

Checking in at JFK or LGA, now -- you are on your own there. It seems you are supposed to be able to do if you have all the proper NY licensing, but your airport cops seem to love busting gun owners and even when the charges get thrown out the courts seem to do nothing to discourage it. Good luck with that part.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Texas and have a successful business trip.

Alamo

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd be a little nervous if flying out of LGA or JFK but plenty of guys have done it with no problems. Now Macarthur, they seem to deal with this pretty often judging by all the signs they have posted up by the check in counter informing you about how to transport a firearm. I was very pleasantly surprised to see all that info last time I was thee.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd be a little nervous if flying out of LGA or JFK but plenty of guys have done it with no problems. Now Macarthur, they seem to deal with this pretty often judging by all the signs they have posted up by the check in counter informing you about how to transport a firearm. I was very pleasantly surprised to see all that info last time I was thee.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts