Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can a nonresident purchase a rifle/shotgun in NJ?  I know the handgun laws are rediculous, hopefully they're not as bad on the long guns.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How can a nonresident purchase a rifle/shotgun in NJ?  I know the handgun laws are rediculous, hopefully they're not as bad on the long guns.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
As long as it's a contiguous state to NY (bordering) then you can buy long guns. Pistols must go through FFL.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
As long as it's a contiguous state to NY (bordering) then you can buy long guns. Pistols must go through FFL.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
I don't believe you can buy a firearm or ammo in NJ without a New jersey Firearms Identification Card.

·
4,036 Posts
I don't believe you can buy a firearm or ammo in NJ without a New jersey Firearms Identification Card.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Looks like you are correct. Funny because a local store in NJ told me no problem with selling to non resident.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/images/atf-rules.PDF

New Jersey:
Residents of the state of New Jersey can purchase long guns in any state provided they posses a valid NJ F.I.D. (Firearms Identification Card)
Non-residents must posses a valid NJ F.I.D. card to purchase a long gun in the state of NJ. (NJ Code 2C:58-3)

P.S. New Jersey sucks!

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Looks like you are correct. Funny because a local store in NJ told me no problem with selling to non resident.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/images/atf-rules.PDF

New Jersey:
Residents of the state of New Jersey can purchase long guns in any state provided they posses a valid NJ F.I.D. (Firearms Identification Card)
Non-residents must posses a valid NJ F.I.D. card to purchase a long gun in the state of NJ. (NJ Code 2C:58-3)

P.S. New Jersey sucks!

·
4,036 Posts
Well you know stores, often (sadly) they don't know the laws either.

I looked into getting a non resident FID a couple years ago. It's a bigger pain in the butt than it is for residents.

·
4,036 Posts
Well you know stores, often (sadly) they don't know the laws either.

I looked into getting a non resident FID a couple years ago. It's a bigger pain in the butt than it is for residents.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a shame.  I lived there and it was fine most otherways.  I'm having trouble finding surplus stuff that's not an arm and a leg and hoped they might have some.  Thanks.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a shame.  I lived there and it was fine most otherways.  I'm having trouble finding surplus stuff that's not an arm and a leg and hoped they might have some.  Thanks.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I went to Sarco a few years ago to hand pick a Yugo Mauser or 2. I had my 03 FFL (C&R) in hand and they would not sell it to me. They told me I had to call up and order it. They did take the rifle I selected and hold it for me till I called. When I called up they told me the clerk was wrong and that I could purchase it in person. I couldn't get a straight answer. BTW, they were selling K98's for $125, M48's for $79 and 24/47's for $69 at the time. All had dark bores but cleaned up after some shooting.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I went to Sarco a few years ago to hand pick a Yugo Mauser or 2. I had my 03 FFL (C&R) in hand and they would not sell it to me. They told me I had to call up and order it. They did take the rifle I selected and hold it for me till I called. When I called up they told me the clerk was wrong and that I could purchase it in person. I couldn't get a straight answer. BTW, they were selling K98's for $125, M48's for $79 and 24/47's for $69 at the time. All had dark bores but cleaned up after some shooting.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Captk said:
K98s for $125?!? Holy $#%@ Batman. They're moving to PA and will be open again in Feb. I might have my new favorite out of state place.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Captk said:
K98s for $125?!? Holy $#%@ Batman. They're moving to PA and will be open again in Feb. I might have my new favorite out of state place.

·
Banned
459 Posts
You need a NJ FID to take possession.

It is possible to jump thru a few hoops and get the FID.

I know someone who did it, probably around 17 or 18 years ago.

I had an FFL and went to the Navy Arms Dealers Warehouse sale and they shipped the guns to me.

·
Banned
459 Posts
You need a NJ FID to take possession.

It is possible to jump thru a few hoops and get the FID.

I know someone who did it, probably around 17 or 18 years ago.

I had an FFL and went to the Navy Arms Dealers Warehouse sale and they shipped the guns to me.

·
4,036 Posts
If you were a resident you'd do it through your local PD. As a non resident you have to do it through the state police.  They use a third party electronic finger printing, so yo have to make an appointment with one of the locations and come in and have it done. Plus dropping off your paper work and picking it up, you're looking at three trips at least. I was going to do it, just to do it. A little extra CYA for travel and Jersey matches. IIRC we had a run of weather like we had today, plus the gas prices were close to $4 a gallon at the time so I put it on the back burner.

·
4,036 Posts
If you were a resident you'd do it through your local PD. As a non resident you have to do it through the state police.  They use a third party electronic finger printing, so yo have to make an appointment with one of the locations and come in and have it done. Plus dropping off your paper work and picking it up, you're looking at three trips at least. I was going to do it, just to do it. A little extra CYA for travel and Jersey matches. IIRC we had a run of weather like we had today, plus the gas prices were close to $4 a gallon at the time so I put it on the back burner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts