Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time in over 10 years that I missed opening of September goose hunt. I all ways had a spot to go to but thanks to the land owners SON -IN-LAW I lost it that spot.
Last year i went to go hunt and the son in-law told me it was too bad i had to drive out there for no reason and I needed to call him when i wanted to hunt so every time i called texted him I got no answer or return text this is the man that told me i would all ways have a place to hunt geese.

· Premium Member
11,465 Posts
You have the landowner number call him F¿€{ the son inlaw

· Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have the landowner number call him F¿€{ the son inlaw
went there three times he never answered the door or called me

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but some people are just unbelievable.

Every year my BIL, Nephew and myself would hunt on a "Family Friend's" property. Sydney, NY. Since the mid 80's.
Two years ago we go up there, rented Motel rooms not to bother the land owner. We also rented an SUV so we all could fit comfortably on the ride. We always brought in plenty of food just as a thank you but never really ate there. Show up the day before opening day, say our hellos, pack his frig with all the food and sit and have coffee with him. Only stayed about an hour, spoke about what our plan would be for the next day and everyone was happy.

All good, Right?

NOT!

We return the next morning (opening day) and his field is FULL of Deer. Arrived early waiting for the "Legal" time to shoot and the land owner comes out of his house and says "DON'T SHOOT THE DEER".

WTF!!!!!!

To this day we have no idea what, why he did this. We all just stood there with our mouths open. I did ask...... What?

He repeats......."DON'T SHOOT THE DEER" and goes back in his house.

We just packed up and left. Haven't heard a word from this guys since. Tried a few times to contact him but no answer or return call.

TRUE STORY!

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Sorry to hear it. I lost my spot also. Totally sux.

It's getting harder and harder to find good hunting on private land.
Most of the old timers have passed on or passed the property to family who never took up the sport.
What we're left with now is the young "me generation" who couldn't care less about tradition or a good old hand shake agreement.

Wish you luck finding something. I've been spending the extra money to hunt successfully out of state.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but some people are just unbelievable.

Every year my BIL, Nephew and myself would hunt on a "Family Friend's" property. Sydney, NY. Since the mid 80's.
Two years ago we go up there, rented Motel rooms not to bother the land owner. We also rented an SUV so we all could fit comfortably on the ride. We always brought in plenty of food just as a thank you but never really ate there. Show up the day before opening day, say our hellos, pack his frig with all the food and sit and have coffee with him. Only stayed about an hour, spoke about what our plan would be for the next day and everyone was happy.

All good, Right?

NOT!

We return the next morning (opening day) and his field is FULL of Deer. Arrived early waiting for the "Legal" time to shoot and the land owner comes out of his house and says "DON'T SHOOT THE DEER".

WTF!!!!!!

To this day we have no idea what, why he did this. We all just stood there with our mouths open. I did ask...... What?

He repeats......."DON'T SHOOT THE DEER" and goes back in his house.

We just packed up and left. Haven't heard a word from this guys since. Tried a few times to contact him but no answer or return call.

TRUE STORY!
New wife or girlfriend in the picture?

· Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
Yep, been there -done that. Leased 135ac for about 17 yrs, then out of nowhere...we're taking the lease back/no renewal etc. Was told "we're closing it for family use only". That turned out to be a load of BS.

Sorry for your misfortune Papabear, it really sucks when it goes down like that.

· Registered
12,359 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It happened to my cousin and I on opening day. We did the early morning drive up to the property all dressed like we did for two other opening day hunts. The owner said I'm hunting it alone. No phone call or nothing to let us know, all the nice things we've done for him ....He died a year later of a brain aneurysm riding his bicycle.

· Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
I can't begin to count the properties I've lost over the years. Couple sold to developers, one leased to other people for horseback riding, one leased to other farmers, several just don't want hunting anymore after other douchebags caused problems, and many lost to other hunters who payed big money for exclusive leases. I've had to go the lease route and suspect the days are numbered for my property based on issues on neighboring land.

Six-seven more years and I'm out of here, so I'm not going to buy.

· Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I am not a hunter so this may be a totally stupid post but what if you all banded together to purchase land, we put syndications together all the time for clients to buy rental property, This would be the same thing without a profit motive, I just googled some places 3-4 hours north and you can get over 100 acres for under $200,000. Annual taxes on vacant land are very low. You will need the method to determine who hunts when, how someone can buy in or get bought out, etc. People do this all the time to share summer homes etc.

· Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sounds good but with all the hunter here you would need about 1,000 acker's

· Registered
12,359 Posts
How ironic, my cousin called me to tell everyone who hunts his properties in Sullivan County over 4 different locations that nobody can use his land for any purpose.
Three Greek Malaka's who for 10 year's hunted his land never offered anything ever, cheap, apparently caused extensive damage to a building they stayed in during the hunting season. My cousin doesn't speak Greek . Typical fashion they deny and blame other people . They each asked if they can stay at my place for the season .... No Malaka!!!

· Premium Member
11,465 Posts
I hunt a lease for a few years never had a problem never had a complaint we would go up to the land and scout and throw out some seed. The landowner was always happy. We always asked before we did anything and we never let anyone but the 4 guys hunt it. One year his son who we where always friendly with said "you guys have been taking advantage my father for years and we can't hunt here anymore" that totally blow our mind as we paid the tax on all his property and only hunted half of it. Three years later the property was foreclosed on and we never heard why or what the hell happen.
Hunting land leaser are weird it seem I hear this kind of story more and more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.