Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like older guns but many, if not most, have fallen out of popular favor versus plastic and the rage for smaller and smaller "concealable pistols" (I still don't know what to make of the Taurus Curve).

I love the history, craftsmanship, and good shooting I get out of such as the S&W 39's and 59's; Beretta 1951 and 92s; Sig P6, Tanfoglio TZ75 and the grand-daddy of the modern DA/SAs the Walther P38/P1. (I also like my Browning Hi Power a whole lot.)

Now I have a nice Smith snubbie and S&W 908 for carry and even went polymer with a Smith/Walther model 99.

What other great, but not talked about old school pistols and revolvers can folks come up with?

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Well you forgot the glad standard of firearms the 1911. I love all of mine 1911 but just like the other guns.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Oh then there my cowboy guns hell even the black powder ones are fun as hell to shoot. But I don't think I'd carry one for daily protection.
I've been Jones over getting a Hi power but never found one that was a good deal.
You have the older Ruger Mark I and II
Redhawks and Blackhawks.
The S&W model 29 is one of my favorite guns to shoot and the PPK and PPKS just for the movie lure of the guns.

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
I like older guns but many, if not most, have fallen out of popular favor versus plastic and the rage for smaller and smaller "concealable pistols" (I still don't know what to make of the Taurus Curve).

I love the history, craftsmanship, and good shooting I get out of such as the S&W 39's and 59's; Beretta 1951 and 92s; Sig P6, Tanfoglio TZ75 and the grand-daddy of the modern DA/SAs the Walther P38/P1. (I also like my Browning Hi Power a whole lot.)

Now I have a nice Smith snubbie and S&W 908 for carry and even went polymer with a Smith/Walther model 99.

What other great, but not talked about old school pistols and revolvers can folks come up with?
Ahh ...the depth of collecting - beauty is in the eye of the beholder . It's hard enough finding goodies this day and age let the mainstream focus on their current models

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Oh then there my cowboy guns hell even the black powder ones are fun as hell to shoot. But I don't think I'd carry one for daily protection.
I've been Jones over getting a Hi power but never found one that was a good deal.
You have the older Ruger Mark I and II
Redhawks and Blackhawks.
The S&W model 29 is one of my favorite guns to shoot and the PPK and PPKS just for the movie lure of the guns.

A whole bunch of surplus Hi Powers came in a few months ago, I picked one up. Haven't had one since back in the day, lost it in transit between jobs

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I like old Corvairs, but I'm not going to put the kids in one and drive across country. Especially my old '64 Sedan that did not come with seat belts.

The same with guns. I like BHP and 1911's but they are for the backyard, not for EDC. Carry modern pistols. Leave the old ones in the safe for a fun weekend out back. Same with rifles. I like old bolt actions, especially small ring Mausers. But if, God forbid, I would ever need a rifle to defend my family, and I have the time for a choice, it will be an AR with plenty of 30 round mags already loaded.

The classics are great but they are classics for a reason and that is because they are classics.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
BHP is one of the finest of classic pistols that has fallen out of favor in recent years.

Great handgun, had one as a last ditch way back when, lost in transit. Had a bad experience w/ 9mm stopping power back then (ball ammo) but it sticks w/ me

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Great handgun, had one as a last ditch way back when, lost in transit. Had a bad experience w/ 9mm stopping power back then (ball ammo) but it sticks w/ me
I have a Belgium Hi Power nickel with adjustable sights...The British SAS among other elite military and LE units used them with ball ammo. Definitely a classic!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
S&W 39-2 aircraft aluminum frame and steel slide. Picked my up up for $150, carried in shoulder holster and leather basket weave belt holster. It's a beautiful handgun and can still hammer nails in with it. Also a AMT backup .380 carried in an ankle holster with a broken snap for 7 years on my oil truck. Of course th 1st hand gun I own ...nickel plated 6" .357 Colt Python, I carried it a few times in the shoulder holster, but it was just to heavy with 3 reloaders. But you can knock a sparrow down in flight at 30 feet and it's not bad at skeet shooting either.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
I have a Belgium Hi Power nickel with adjustable sights...The British SAS among other elite military and LE units used them with ball ammo. Definitely a classic!
Yup, worked with some Brits, that's where I got the idea

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
The caliber has been in use for over a century. With new technology the standard pressure 147 grain Winchester Ranger along with Federal HST have a good street record. I always recommend the largest caliber with 9 mm as the least for self defense!
Agreed, I was using military ball some decades ago, didn't work so well

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ain't for carry - .38 flush WC only, 5 round only, S/A only, no 'safety', only a hammer block: a highly accurized version of the SW 39-2 mentioned above, the SW 52-2 is quite the tack driver. Looks similar to the BHP, I think.

Attachments

Reactions: Pat M
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.