Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for an AWD small SUV. Test drove a Rouge yesterday, liked it and made the price was right. Any one with experience, thoughts etc... appreciated. Also any negatives with Riverhead Nissan. Thanks much as always.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I get to drive my brother' rogue and its seems like its underpowered. Car wont move when you need it. Just my experience. Test drive it in the highway if possible. Even my brother notice that. He traded it for a Rav4.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Several that were involved in collisions came in to the shop, with severe damage when struck in rear, multiple panels in rear buckled and collapsed floor. All motorists were in low speed accidents in stop and go. Front collisions typically showed bumper, radiator support damage with frame being swayed over. These were on current model Nissan Rogues 2013-2015.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The 2011 Rogue is pretty good. Gets great gas mileage . It's not the fastest suv out there but for what we use it for it is fine. It's got enough pep for me on the highway. After having it 5 years i just replaced battery (preventive maintenance) and it's due for tires soon.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Several that were involved in collisions came in to the shop, with severe damage when struck in rear, multiple panels in rear buckled and collapsed floor. All motorists were in low speed accidents in stop and go. Front collisions typically showed bumper, radiator support damage with frame being swayed over. These were on current model Nissan Rogues 2013-2015.
I beleve that's intentional- while it won't help your auto body bills any, "crumple zones" are designed to have the vehicle absorb the shock of a collision rather than transmitting it to the occupants. Now personally, I would rather take a bruise or two than $10K in body damage to my car, but I believe in the long run of insurance adjusters and actuarial math, it comes out a littel cheaper to replace the car than to pay for hospital bills.

I get what you are saying and to a point I agree, just understand what you are talking about is likely the design INTENT, not a shortcoming.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I beleve that's intentional- while it won't help your auto body bills any, "crumple zones" are designed to have the vehicle absorb the shock of a collision rather than transmitting it to the occupants. Now personally, I would rather take a bruise or two than $10K in body damage to my car, but I believe in the long run of insurance adjusters and actuarial math, it comes out a littel cheaper to replace the car than to pay for hospital bills.

I get what you are saying and to a point I agree, just understand what you are talking about is likely the design INTENT, not a shortcoming.
Same SUV class such as Honda CRV or Toyota Rav 4 have less damage in similar low speed collisions. Not a shortcoming but its a big ticket repair, which leads to greater diminished value when you go to sell or trade down road.

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
My wife had a Rogue. She liked it a lot, but it was small. When I drove it (I'm 6'4") it was REALLY tight. Not a lot of leg and hip room. My wife is little so she liked it. Never had any problems with it. Now she has an Acura RDX. Definately worth looking at. More interior room. I am very comfortable in it. Also we found that it offered the most features for the money. Best buy out there.

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Yeah i'm a bit biased but watch this....
Yeah, I love German engineers. They never stop to ask IF they should build something, only if they CAN build something.

I had almost forgotten what a real car door sounds like when you close it until I bought my VW.

Reactions: John060404

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Design intent is to have the car crumple as much as possible without invading the cabin. A very close friend of mine was rear ended by an altima in his mazda 3...he was killed instantly when the trunk made it's way to the front seats.

I was personally involved in TWO high speed front end collisions. One in a 2007 VW rabbit and one in a 99 grand cherokee. The VW was destroyed.. engine and trans fell out with the subframe and pushed under the vehicle. From the A pillars back the car was in perfect shape....as was I. The jeep was a harder hit and the engine was pushed into the cabin causing the dash to be pushed into my knees, the frame was buckled behind the front doors and the roof was buckled.

The less cabin intrusion and more crumple means less injury. Also the roll over test is excellent because nobody thinks a vehicle will flip but if it does you need the strength. That roll over video was the nail in the coffin for any other vehicle choice when my wife was looking for a small suv.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
We love our Subaru Crosstrek. For more engine and room the Outback and Forester. (Wifey wanted smaller.) The Subaru headgasket problems of yesteryear were fixed.

·
I'm a Michigander now.
5,119 Posts
pros -

cons - its a Nissan.

In all seriousness, its an average low cost small SUV. Not really remarkable inn any way, good or bad. Ford Escape, Chevy Captiva, Buick Encore, they are all the same, just different bells and whistles.

Id look at warranty trends and how long that particular body style has been out. Most vehicles run 6 to 7 years with a major facelift around 3 years.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
We have a 2012 that was a lease. Liked it enough to buy it. Not the best suv, but overall very satisfied. On our Lake George trip rhis year, we had 3 people and lots of luggage and stuff. Got about 27 mpg highway traveling with a/c on and 65-70 mph. A bit underpowered at times but very liveable. I would recommend them.
P.S. No mechanical issues at all. 3 years and 32,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.