Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,
New to this forum and pretty new to shooting a bolt action 308 that I bought a while ago and would like some help on both.
I generally speak from the heart and have only good intentions. That being said I don't want to offend anyone on here either by saying something wrong or by saying something right but in the wrong place so if that should happen it is not ever intentional and I apologize ahead of time.
So I own this AW Rem 700 40X with a Leupold Vari X 3 tactical 6.5X14 scope and I am fairly certain that I will never be able to even scratch the surface of its capabilities. I would however, like to learn to zero the rifle at 25-100 yards while getting a basic understanding of making adjustments to the scope to be able to hit paper targets at varying distances.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Happiness and healthiness,
Kodiak

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Hello Folks,
New to this forum and pretty new to shooting a bolt action 308 that I bought a while ago and would like some help on both.
I generally speak from the heart and have only good intentions. That being said I don't want to offend anyone on here either by saying something wrong or by saying something right but in the wrong place so if that should happen it is not ever intentional and I apologize ahead of time.
So I own this AW Rem 700 40X with a Leupold Vari X 3 tactical 6.5X14 scope and I am fairly certain that I will never be able to even scratch the surface of its capabilities. I would however, like to learn to zero the rifle at 25-100 yards while getting a basic understanding of making adjustments to the scope to be able to hit paper targets at varying distances.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Happiness and healthiness,
Kodiak
I'd suggest visiting or call a range near where you live and ask if there is someone there that can give instruction on how to do the thing you want to learn to do. Beyond that there is a ton of stuff on Youtube covering every aspect of shooting. You could start there and pick up some basic understanding of the process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Paul that is what I have been looking for. I have learned a lot from Youtube and have tried to apply it out at the ranges. I have not been able to get a user manual on my scope even from leupold. I go to our outdoor ranges in Suffolk and was hoping to find someone that I can hire by the hour to help me out and really teach me from the ground up accurate mid to long range shooting with my particular set up.
*correction from my original post... The scope is a Leupold vari-x iii tactical 4.5x14x50. I believe the scope was from the late 90's. Additionally my paperwork says that it was sent to Premier Reticles (no longer in business), for additional upgrades.
So basically I keep hitting dead ends because I have some info but it's not complete and my scope has much higher turrets than any of the pictures of the same scopes I was able to dig up from Google.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Thank you Paul that is what I have been looking for. I have learned a lot from Youtube and have tried to apply it out at the ranges. I have not been able to get a user manual on my scope even from leupold. I go to our outdoor ranges in Suffolk and was hoping to find someone that I can hire by the hour to help me out and really teach me from the ground up accurate mid to long range shooting with my particular set up.
*correction from my original post... The scope is a Leupold vari-x iii tactical 4.5x14x50. I believe the scope was from the late 90's. Additionally my paperwork says that it was sent to Premier Reticles (no longer in business), for additional upgrades.
So basically I keep hitting dead ends because I have some info but it's not complete and my scope has much higher turrets than any of the pictures of the same scopes I was able to dig up from Google.
Have you tried using a laser bore sight? That will get the scope aligned to hit on paper at 25 yards and from there is tweaking the windage and elevation to get it zeroed in.

Have you seen this video on the scope?

Leupo!d Scope

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,051 Posts
Go to VX-3i 4.5-14x50 Duplex, for the owner's manual you want, plus other stuff, for this discontinued scope.
Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried using a laser bore sight? That will get the scope aligned to hit on paper at 25 yards and from there is tweaking the windage and elevation to get it zeroed in.

Have you seen this video on the scope?

Leupo!d Scope
I did see that one, thank you. Great video on the scope. That is the only thing I have come across with those tall turrets on the scope.
Go to VX-3i 4.5-14x50 Duplex, for the owner's manual you want, plus other stuff, for this discontinued scope.
Gary
Thank you Gary. That scope is similar but not the same. Unfortunately for me, I contacted Leupold, sent them pics of the scope from every angle along with the serial #. The Rep very insistently told me that since it was touched by Premier Reticles, they will not touch it, they will not warranty it, they do not want it sent to them just so I can get some help with it.
My understanding is that back then they worked in conjunction with Premier, I guess that relationship went bad and I'm stuck holding the bag... I mean scope.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,051 Posts
I did see that one, thank you. Great video on the scope. That is the only thing I have come across with those tall turrets on the scope.

Thank you Gary. That scope is similar but not the same. Unfortunately for me, I contacted Leupold, sent them pics of the scope from every angle along with the serial #. The Rep very insistently told me that since it was touched by Premier Reticles, they will not touch it, they will not warranty it, they do not want it sent to them just so I can get some help with it.
My understanding is that back then they worked in conjunction with Premier, I guess that relationship went bad and I'm stuck holding the bag... I mean scope.
Leupold is notorious, for excellent tech support and customer assistance. They have old manuals on file, as PDFs. I would file a complaint, with Leupold's HQ, explaining what happened and what the "tech rep" said. Hopefully, you also got his/her name. S/he deserves to be fired.
Gary

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Leupold is notorious, for excellent tech support and customer assistance. They have old manuals on file, as PDFs. I would file a complaint, with Leupold's HQ, explaining what happened and what the "tech rep" said. Hopefully, you also got his/her name. S/he deserves to be fired.
Gary
I have a 2-7 scope from the early 70’s. Golden ring Vari X II. Leupold will still service the scope for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2-7 scope from the early 70’s. Golden ring Vari X II. Leupold will still service the scope for free.
Like you both said I have heard only great things about Leupold and their service that was just not my experience. Story of my life. Ironically I was not even looking for any kind of warranty repair... I just asked them to examine my scope and let me know how it works or get me a manual and also what mods were made so I can figure that in and I would pay for that service! The above response was what I got from them.
If its ok I'm going to post some photos of the rifle in the hopes that the original owner sees it on here and reaches out. I bought it from South Shore Sportsman so the guy/gal should be local.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like you both said I have heard only great things about Leupold and their service that was just not my experience. Story of my life. Ironically I was not even looking for any kind of warranty repair... I just asked them to examine my scope and let me know how it works or get me a manual and also what mods were made so I can figure that in and I would pay for that service! The above response was what I got from them.
If its ok I'm going to post some photos of the rifle in the hopes that the original owner sees it on here and reaches out. I bought it from South Shore Sportsman so the guy/gal should be local.
Anyone out there recognize this setup?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts