Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Ok ARS making them Compliant keep seeing that what about a nice original AK.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Nothing about permanency in the wording of the law. If i recall correctly it is phrased that in order to remove the magazine the firearm must be disassembled (with no specification on the degree of disassembly required).

I have 2 methods to make a standard ak compliant, one via fixed mag and one via making it a "bolt action".

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Ok, so they replied to my email question:

"When installed correctly & the screw sccess hole filled with epoxy, it makes the firearm compliant"

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Except what they are doing is considered remanufacturing under Federal law and without the proper variance, markings and or excise taxes paid, is illegal. Keep an eye out for them to be the next Stag Arms.

Reactions: gopedxr7

·
Gunecologist
2,261 Posts
Except what they are doing is considered remanufacturing under Federal law and without the proper variance, markings and or excise taxes paid, is illegal. Keep an eye out for them to be the next Stag Arms.
So what you are saying is if I or an FFL adds something to a rifle (scope mount, sling attachment, etc.), they are in violation of the law. I call BS on your post/reply.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Nothing about permanency in the wording of the law. If i recall correctly it is phrased that in order to remove the magazine the firearm must be disassembled (with no specification on the degree of disassembly required).

I have 2 methods to make a standard ak compliant, one via fixed mag and one via making it a "bolt action".
How would you load a fixed mag AK? You would need to field strip it to get the bolt carrier group out of the way to top load it.

A bolt action AK wouldn't make a whole lot of sense either given that it would combine a slow rate of fire with less than stellar accuracy.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
hawkeye said:
So what you are saying is if I or an FFL adds something to a rifle (scope mount, sling attachment, etc.), they are in violation of the law. I call BS on your post/reply.
I am not sure what a dealer can legally add, but the ATF has ruled that certain types of gunsmithing require a manufacturers license if they are done to prep a gun for sale.

If a customer comes in and asks for a modification it is considered gunsmithing. If a gun arrives atnthe dealer from the manufacturer and the dealer does the same modification it would be considered manufacturing.

Individuals can do their own modifications to their own guns without an FFL or manufacturers license.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Not a fan of the bolt action method, or any compliance mods for that matter, but its for those who are so inclined.

Fixed mag i made a little loop of paracord that is attached to the rear sling swivel and goes over the chargin handle when the carrier is pulled to the rear. This holds it open, then you can load from the opening on the dust cover. Sounds alot more tedious and difficult than it is, i had a few of my aks on display at the freeport lif night set up like this.

·
Gunecologist
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a fan of the bolt action method, or any compliance mods for that matter, but its for those who are so inclined.

Fixed mag i made a little loop of paracord that is attached to the rear sling swivel and goes over the chargin handle when the carrier is pulled to the rear. This holds it open, then you can load from the opening on the dust cover. Sounds alot more tedious and difficult than it is, i had a few of my aks on display at the freeport lif night set up like this.
Sounds like a great idea (and cheap). This goes along with the device (forgot the name) that attaches to the trigger guard with 2 screws and covers the mag release. I'll try to get some pictures posted up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Sounds like a great idea (and cheap). This goes along with the device (forgot the name) that attaches to the trigger guard with 2 screws and covers the mag release. I'll try to get some pictures posted up tomorrow.
The device to fix the mag is a small piece of steel that is inserted through the trigger guard, into the area above the magazine release spring. A small bolt is threaded through it from underneath and behind the mag release, once tightened down it blocks the mag release from being able to move. Can epoxy over or grind over the bolt head, if youre a fancy pants. I am currently in the process of securing a patent for the device. In reality, I am in no way attempting to secure a patent, and will provide highly detailed specs for anyone who wants to make one themself and has the advanced equipment needed to produce it. By highly detailed, I mean very rough, and by advanced equipment i mean crap everyone has in their garage already.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts