Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
It is a proposed legislation it has not yet been voted on so it is not law yet.
With no adults in the room and no concern whatsoever for the rule of law, it is pretty much a done deal.
Can We the People make a new law that removes all law making authority from the legislature for creating dangerous living conditions for all of NY by letting violent repeat felons out of jail while disarming law abiding citizens.
Or just for being Idiots in general.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
If you read the proposed legislation it reads that it shall take effect immediately with no carveouts or grandfathered sections.

If passed as is, that would mean that if you were to take a CCIA course taught by a NRA Instructor (a duly certified instructor per current law) after the effective date of the law that person would not be deemed an instructor under NYS Law. In other words as long as you complete the course and the certificate is dated before the law takes effect you should be ok.

I would hope that NYS would recognize that these instructors are committed to teaching safe and responsible handling of weapons and that passing the law would be a de-service to gun owners as well as to non gun owners. Even folks who don’t seek a CCW oftentimes take the NRA Basic Pistol Course which if the law is passed it would have zero value in NY. I encourage everyone who owns a a firearm to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course and passing this legislation will make it less attractive for folks to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
If you read the proposed legislation it reads that it shall take effect immediately with no carveouts or grandfathered sections.

If passed as is, that would mean that if you were to take a CCIA course taught by a NRA Instructor (a duly certified instructor per current law) after the effective date of the law that person would not be deemed an instructor under NYS Law. In other words as long as you complete the course and the certificate is dated before the law takes effect you should be ok.

I would hope that NYS would recognize that these instructors are committed to teaching safe and responsible handling of weapons and that passing the law would be a de-service to gun owners as well as to non gun owners. Even folks who don’t seek a CCW oftentimes take the NRA Basic Pistol Course which if the law is passed it would have zero value in NY. I encourage everyone who owns a a firearm to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course and passing this legislation will make it less attractive for folks to do that.
What about HR 218? Is that DCJS?

·
Registered
380 Posts
How will this affect those who are signing up for training in the months to come?
The date you paid for the course should be the registered date on the certificate. Therefore, save your receipt with the date on it. If you paid for an upcoming course, ask the instructor to pre-date the certificate showing a registered date that is before the date of the new law set to go into effect and coincides with the date on your receipt. Having both a register date and a completion date lets SCPD know you committed to the course before the new law was put into motion.

For those thinking of taking the coursework (as written by Peconic Paladin) work with any one of the following instructors:

-certain military officers
--4H instructors
--DEC hunter safety instructors
--DCJS certified instructors (presumbaly they would become "duly authorized" immediately, rather than having to wait until July 2023 as is the case now.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Word of caution and I am simply saying this because laws can be interpreted in different ways and I don’t want anyone to waste any money. Also this legislation has not yet passed and if passed the ultimate version could have carveouts (for example for individuals who have registered but not yet taken the course as of the effective date)

A reading of the current proposed legislation can conclude that after the effective date of the law all NRA Certified instructors cease to be duly authorized instructors under NYS Law. Therefore any course taught after this date is not being taught by a “duly authorized” instructor thereby making the certificate worthless.

The above is accurate regardless of when you sign up for the course. Backdating the certificates of completion with the date of registration instead of the date of completion for the course could be deemed a fraudulent document. If this is the case the instructor may have a problem with law enforcement and the licensee could be accused of submitting a false document which in turn will jeopardize you weapons license.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Word of caution and I am simply saying this because laws can be interpreted in different ways and I don’t want anyone to waste any money. Also this legislation has not yet passed and if passed the ultimate version could have carveouts (for example for individuals who have registered but not yet taken the course as of the effective date)

A reading of the current proposed legislation can conclude that after the effective date of the law all NRA Certified instructors cease to be duly authorized instructors under NYS Law. Therefore any course taught after this date is not being taught by a “duly authorized” instructor thereby making the certificate worthless.

The above is accurate regardless of when you sign up for the course. Backdating the certificates of completion with the date of registration instead of the date of completion for the course could be deemed a fraudulent document. If this is the case the instructor may have a problem with law enforcement and the licensee could be accused of submitting a false document which in turn will jeopardize you weapons license.
Thank you for the feedback, but I am advocating for two dates documented, the registration date and the completion date. There is nothing fraudulent, and moreover, it's a more accurate documentation of history. I conclude, please call SCPD to verify what should be done. I think SCPD is a fair group of professionals, not looking to sideline someone on technicalities.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
If we have to change training facilities due to the state’s latest tantrum, that will push things out months. NCPLB told me that if I go much past Jan - Feb, the county may not recognize the drug test due to time elapsed. Then a do over for an additional $100.
I think this is being choreographed to the point that Bob Fosse would be impressed.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Sorry- I should have been clearer I was not suggesting that you were advocating fraud- I am concerned that even with your suggestion the licensing agencies in NY could decline the course and blame the State since they must comply with the letter of the law.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is all intentional on the State's part. Nobody knows now, and that will continue going forward. Including the pistol license bureaus.
I think it may be faster to sign up for law school, get a law degree, pass the bar, and sue NY on my own behalf.
I hate to sound negative, but it becomes clearer and clearer to me that NY will continue to fight dirty, and just keep throwing up obstacles and roadblock, no matter how obviously unconstitutional, unfair, illegal, and just plain stupid.
The state will never concede and go quietly to the point of observing, upholding, and enforcing the law.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
At some point down the road, our options become somewhat limited.

Reactions: RSL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
This is one reason the training requirement needs to be struck down. As mention in prior post there is nothing preventing the state from using the training requirement to effectively block most folks from getting a full carry license. There is nothing preventing them from making the 16 hour requirement 32 or 64 hours. The trading requirement needs to be challenged.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I hate to sound negative, but it becomes clearer and clearer to me that NY will continue to fight dirty, and just keep throwing up obstacles and roadblock, no matter how obviously unconstitutional, unfair, illegal, and just plain stupid.
The state will never concede and go quietly to the point of observing, upholding, and enforcing the law.
Exactly. But this is all a good sign. NY has been anti-gun for over 100 years. And it is exceptionally desperate now. The more obstacles, the more difficult, the more dramatic, the more "obviously unconstitutional, unfair, illegal, and just plain stupid," the easier it will be to strike down.

In addition to the court fights, and in conjunction with them, this is exactly why we must be willing to fight and bend and take advantage of every single technicality and "gray area" to our favor.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
You will want to get your training AND your "carry" permit before this becomes law.
I confirmed earlier today that Safety Quest is DCJS certified. The NRA thing should not affect the CCW classes there.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
One other idea, which probably merits its own thread--especially if S9601 gets any traction, but "just because" is also a good enough reason.

We should probably come up with a thread for "duly authorized instructors" to coordinate rubber stam...I mean "training" each other. If your licensing jurisdiction isn't honoring your instructor training and/or doesn't let you certify yourself, a session to bring each other up to speed might be warranted.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts