Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Laughing… they call this new? Comp mags have been around a while.
I had one. It actually does work pretty well, but I gave mine away because it is about the size of a 30 rnd mag. Uncomfortable and in the way, if using a bench or prone.
The release actually is easy to get around, even with epoxy. There’s a sliding cover, that what is supposed to be epoxied, that covers the release hole. They sell replacement covers, in bulk, dirt cheap…. And they all have a little dimple, showing you where to drill 1/8” hole, to insert rod, to release mag.
I myself did not use epoxy. I used black hot glue. Never had a legal issue, but also was never hasseled over the AR. I gave it away, and went back to prior method.

· Registered
2,628 Posts
Laughing… they call this new? Comp mags have been around a while.
I had one. It actually does work pretty well, but I gave mine away because it is about the size of a 30 rnd mag. Uncomfortable and in the way, if using a bench or prone.
The release actually is easy to get around, even with epoxy. There’s a sliding cover, that what is supposed to be epoxied, that covers the release hole. They sell replacement covers, in bulk, dirt cheap…. And they all have a little dimple, showing you where to drill 1/8” hole, to insert rod, to release mag.
I myself did not use epoxy. I used black hot glue. Never had a legal issue, but also was never hasseled over the AR. I gave it away, and went back to prior method.
That's a good run down. I have some of the mag loaders from Bear Flag arms, like the BF10, but this looks better. Although hardly "new" as you mentioned since they've been out for a bit. I have used blocked 30 round mags for my ARs (fixed mag or not) because a 10 round mag in the body of a 30 rounder is just "how it is supposed to be." But I have regular 10 rounders for bench shooting. That aside, the only drawback I see for the CompMag is price. Obviously can be worth it for the price, but I think $35-40 is more reasonable.

Lastly, I really appreciate the thoughtful opinion letter CompMag got from Brill Law Group and the fact that they posted it. (FYI, meat and potatoes argument starts in the second paragraph on Page 5).

In short, the letter agrees with what we here have known for 10 years: there is no definition of "detachable magazine" in the law and no court cases to define it in reality. As a result, we know for sure what is compliant (welding), have a great idea of what is acceptable for our area (the DSI fixed mag variants), but we are still not sure of what is NOT compliant. For example, I don't see a problem with a bullet button, Prince 50 maglock (or modern variants), nor the CompMag's "California Configuration" being okay in New York. And the lawyer's interpretation letter does not do much in that still outstanding issue. To me, the epoxied screw hole cover is merely a "better safe than sorry" solution.

· Registered
209 Posts
If you like the size of a 30, then this really is a great option. That side gate loader, is pretty easy, once you get used to it. If I still had it, I’d pass it around for guys to try, first hand.
I’m digging my -10s in mag pul 20s, with maglatch FNGR

· Registered
209 Posts
If I remember correctly, the comp mag fed pretty good, as it’s a single stack configuration. I don’t remember off hand, which way the lips fed… left or right feed ramp. It may have actually been an offset, so it was single stack feed, to one ramp. Sorry, I don’t remember which.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts