Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a D**ks Sporting goods black friday special on a 24in. .308 Remington ADL varmint in woodland camo (I think it was about $400 after everything was said and done) and it's my first bolt action (aside from the Mosin, which I don't count, because hitting anything with it makes me happy). I'm quite fond of it as is, but I like tinkering, and I'd like to perform some upgrades on it. It's already got a heavy barrel and the new "Xmark trigger" on it from the factory, so My questions are:

What ammo would be good for this rifle? It's .308 win.
I would like to take this rifle to 300 yards, and once I'm good with it there, I'd like to go out further (which means leaving long island for a weekend or so), so for now, something accurate enough out to 300y, I'm sure that 700y will require special ammo, which will probably cost a small fortune, so something affordable if possible.

Which stock is better than the factory stock, but is still affordable? I would like to get a new stock for it, because I'm told that it can fire MOA outta the box, but it can fire sub-MOA with a better stock. I think it's a short action, but I don't know how to tell.

I'd like to convert it to having a removable magazine (or at least have a visible mag floorplate), but there are so many different brands, what does everyone else recommend?

It came with a scope, and after firing about 15 rounds it actually loosened the thumb screws holding the scope on, are there better mounting rings that I can buy? these things absolutely suck. (also, which type of loktite should be used?)

On the scope, it came with a 4-12x32 (I think), which out of the box was terrible, like, Elmer Fudd not even on the paper at 50y terrible, and I'm not even sure how to improve this. Help?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
kaluce said:
I got a D**ks Sporting goods black friday special on a 24in. .308 Remington ADL varmint in woodland camo (I think it was about $400 after everything was said and done) and it's my first bolt action (aside from the Mosin, which I don't count, because hitting anything with it makes me happy). I'm quite fond of it as is, but I like tinkering, and I'd like to perform some upgrades on it. It's already got a heavy barrel and the new "Xmark trigger" on it from the factory, so My questions are:

I would like to take this rifle to 300 yards, and once I'm good with it there, I'd like to go out further (which means leaving long island for a weekend or so), so for now, something accurate enough out to 300y, I'm sure that 700y will require special ammo, which will probably cost a small fortune, so something affordable if possible.

You can use this: http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-168-gr-A-MAX/ 700 yards does not require "special ammo", but those distances are usually shot with with hand loaded ammo. Try it, you never know.

Which stock is better than the factory stock, but is still affordable? I would like to get a new stock for it, because I'm told that it can fire MOA outta the box, but it can fire sub-MOA with a better stock. I think it's a short action, but I don't know how to tell.

Many after market stocks are available:

Bell and Carlson: http://www.bellandcarlson.com/Our%20Products.htmL
McMillan: http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php
Choate: http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Ultimate_Varmint_Stock_for_Remington_Short_Action_Detachable_Magazine.cfm

Most (except the Choate) will cost as much as the rifle.

I'd like to convert it to having a removable magazine (or at least have a visible mag floorplate), but there are so many different brands, what does everyone else recommend?

It came with a scope, and after firing about 15 rounds it actually loosened the thumb screws holding the scope on, are there better mounting rings that I can buy? these things absolutely suck. (also, which type of loktite should be used?)

Blue Loktite (its removable).

On the scope, it came with a 4-12x32 (I think), which out of the box was terrible, like, Elmer Fudd not even on the paper at 50y terrible, and I'm not even sure how to improve this. Help?

This is why I would never buy a combo. Better to spend more for the rifle, and add optics later.
Toss the scope, and look at what Meopta offers (sale on now).
A lot of the accuracy depends on YOU! Breathing, position, etc... There are many shooters than can put rounds touching while standing, and there are shooters that couldn't put two in the same backer with a $4,000 custom rig while prone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where would be a good place to find Meopta scopes on sale?

and since I'd like to start shooting in contests (eventually), where could I learn better technique? so far I can hit somewhat consistently with my M&P15-22

·
Banned
6,853 Posts
kaluce said:
Are YOU capable of sub moa?

Spend the money on a set of larue rings, they are some of the best avalible

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Mad Russian said:
......and there are shooters that couldn't put two in the same backer with a $4,000 custom rig while prone.
Seems to me that almost eveybody shoots 1/4 minute of angle or better out to 800 yards. At least that's what most of the posts say! LOL ;D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never owned a rifle with good enough characteristics to even test if I'm even at MOA quality, since I started with a cheap .22lr and a 12ga. (then upgraded to an AK that fires in Minute of Barn door ;D ) . I'd like to dump a bit of money into this setup (starting with the cheapest upgrades, and then going up from there) so that I know my rifle shoots better than I can at first.

In order, It's probably quality ammo, rings with loktite, quality optic (I did see a Meopta awhile back and was excited about it), and finally much better stock.

my goal is, I want to shoot sub-MOA sitting in a chair (not standing...yet). my known variables are myself, and my rifle (weather not withstanding). the way I intend to tackle this goal is to remove any doubt from my rifle, and then work on my technique using the same gun through repetition. after putting 300 rounds through the same rifle with intent on hitting on or close to the same hole, I will be significantly better handling it than if I just picked up some gun and started shooting, right? :)

I also know it takes a lot of practice, and I might never get that good, but damnit imma try anyway.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Make sure you don't lose focus of what kind of rifle you are building. Everything adds weight: solidly built stocks can weigh as much as the bare rifle. Which is good for stability and recoil management. More weight=less felt recoil. A big scope for long distance will be heavy, sometimes two pounds. Good, solid steel scope mounts will add weigh. When all is said and done you could wind up with an 18-20lb rifle. Which in the bench shooting world is a feather weight! You wont be shooting that rifle standing unless you are power lifter and hold that weight stable while aiming.

Ammo is also critical. Ammo will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, batch to batch: I have measured any number of loads from the box, and have found differences in OAL (Over All Length), weight from round to round, sometimes as much as 2 grains. Cases from different manufacturers will differ in weigh, hence wall thickness and overall capacity (cases are made to standard external specs, so the weight has to go somewhere, and that's the internal volume). Commercial ammo is made to be shot from all chambers, and is compromised as a result. Most bench rest shooters load their own, or have custom ammo loaded for them

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, if this is to be a distance gun, than "shikata ga nai". I just wish that shooting was a less expensive hobby. ;D

does anyone else use any of those stocks listed above that can vouch for quality of one over the other on the 700?

·
Registered
241 Posts
kaluce said:

Hand loading is basically the best way to go and in my opinion when long range shooting its the only way to go. I've had .308's with that twist rate (I believe that is a 1 in 10) and personally i have gotten the best results with 180gr bullets. Federal match ammo is very consistent as well as hornady for factory stuff. That weapon is great but generally speaking is not usually used for 700 yard shots (consistently) 300 is very realistic with a great shooter and great ammo. Few people can make it work but 700 yards accurately and consistently is near impossible with FACTORY ammo with any .308. In the long run hand loading saves boat loads of money too. Personally for the money you may spend on that weapon to make it do what you are looking to do, you are in the ballpark of the 700 tactical or something similar that is ready to go and do that out of the box. That is just the way I see it though. Most ammo you buy at D**ks is hunting ammo and is not meant for extreme long range shooting. Also match ammo is not really meant for hunting. Every weapon has strong points and usually a specific purpose. The rail that it has matters as well at that range depending on the scope that you put on it. Most of your free floating stocks are more of a matter of feel to the shooter. Ive traded down $400 mcmillans for hogues because i was more comfortable shooting them on that specific rifle. All a matter of personal preference with the stocks. Also they sometimes dont have someone qualified there mounting the scopes and so on. Sometimes they do. Where it is on the rail (if it has one) and where it is in the rings can make a difference as well. But at 50 yards you should be somewhere on the paper. The clicks are usually 1/4 moa. Which means a quarter inch impact change at 100 yards. So at 50 yards one click would may only move you 1/8 of an inch. If you are feet from the target see if you have a zero reset on the scope and pray because usually the cheaper scopes that come on those setups do not. You may not have enough adjustment to make the paper and ive seen that as well. You might want to look into a rail for it if it doesn't have one and maybe a different set of rings. Every rifle is different so before you go out and spend a bunch of money on this specific one focus on getting it on target and seeing what it can do. Hopefully this was a help and best of luck to you and congrats on the rifle remington makes good stuff

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a laser bore sight and checked it out. Out of the box at 25 FEET it was shooting about 8 inches right, which explained why I couldn't even see a dust trail when firing the gun at 50 yards. I straightened it out significantly, and once I take it to the range, I'll probably be close to the paper now. ;D

As for hand loading, it seems like something fun to do as a hobby, but is there an amazon list or something so that it solves the absolute basics of what people would need to reload rifles or pistols minus the brass, powder, lead, and all that? It seems that there are so many choices for everything, It's just a lot to take in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
kaluce said:
I bought a laser bore sight and checked it out. Out of the box at 25 FEET it was shooting about 8 inches right, which explained why I couldn't even see a dust trail when firing the gun at 50 yards. I straightened it out significantly, and once I take it to the range, I'll probably be close to the paper now. ;D

As for hand loading, it seems like something fun to do as a hobby, but is there an amazon list or something so that it solves the absolute basics of what people would need to reload rifles or pistols minus the brass, powder, lead, and all that? It seems that there are so many choices for everything, It's just a lot to take in.
it is a lot to take in but over time its completely worth it. Lot of reading before you even get started too. good luck with getting that dialed in

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
kaluce said:
my goal is, I want to shoot sub-MOA sitting in a chair (not standing...yet). my known variables are myself, and my rifle (weather not withstanding). the way I intend to tackle this goal is to remove any doubt from my rifle, and then work on my technique using the same gun through repetition. after putting 300 rounds through the same rifle with intent on hitting on or close to the same hole, I will be significantly better handling it than if I just picked up some gun and started shooting, right? :)

I also know it takes a lot of practice, and I might never get that good, but damnit imma try anyway.
Why from a chair? The first rule of marksmanship is that Lower=Better. if you mean shooting from a bench, well, on most of the benches I know, you are better off prone (Ima lookin at YOU, Calverlton!)

Most Bolt Action .308s will (with good ammo) out shoot the shooter. When you can shoot from prone as well as the rifle shoots from a mechanical rest, THEN worry about a better stock.

300 rounds is about enough to get the barrel broken in. Think Thousands. Forget about a detachable magazine- a five round box it more than what you need- you'll usually be single loading. If you are shooting more than 60 rounds in a day, you are rushing things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.