Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Certified pre owned!

Just wanted to pass a good deal on....

Just picked up an used 870P Magnum from Summit Gun Brokers. $320 shipped plus the fee at SSS for a total of $350.

http://summitgunbroker.com/870p.html

The owner says he got a large lot from a SW desert-ish state agency.(no rust on the gun at all). Save for some little scuffs, faint edge wear and rubs it looks great. No cruiser wear. The pad on the stock is a tad chewed up but I suspect that's where the gun rested most of its life. Doesn't look like it's been shot much either. Wearing black plastic furniture which I thought I'd want to get rid of but it looks great. Barrel code shows it was made in 2005.

It came with 20" barrel with rifle sights, +2 extension, a sling and swivels. A coworker bought one as well and it came with a side saddle. He didn't want it so I popped it on mine, which came with the pins for the saddle. There is a handwritten 3 digit number in yellow paint pen on the right side of the receiver that comes off with some Hoppe's.

It's on with slugs at 30yds. @15 yds it put seven 00 buck pellets on paper. The only plans I have for it to Vang Comp/port it and maybe a Big Dot front sight.

Remington source on the difference between 870 Expresses and the 870P.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/docviewer/aucdoc/Remington%20Shotguns-diff.%20between%20870%20model%20types.pdf?auc=556247&docid=3347012

Some of the pics seem to pick up some things that look like scuffs but arent'y really there.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
VERY nice. I picked-up an exact copy, hardly used, police trade-in at Big Dog Arms in Roscoe last year.

I didn't even need it...it just was there...the price was right.......these things happen to me all the time.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Very nice, you got yourself a real deal at that price. Looks very similar to my Express with the Police barrel, extension and synthetic fore grip and stock. Happy shootin.

Just something I've heard over the years and don't have first hand experience so take it with a grain of salt, porting scattergun barrels isn't really effective.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Reactions: SOUTHSHOREROB

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just something I've heard over the years and don't have first hand experience so take it with a grain of salt, porting scattergun barrels isn't really effective.
I've read a lot on the interwebz. Some swear by it and some swear it's a waste of money. I'm not so much interested in the porting as I am the back boring. And I read that maybe the right choke and brand ot 00 buck may make back boring moot. But I did fire a friend's Vang'd gun and at 25 yds and group was the size of a dinner plate and at 10yds all the 00 was in the head with 2 3/4 Winchester 00 buck. I can't gauge the recoil/muzzle jump as he had a Knoxx stock on it. But those groups made me a believer.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
??? I bought last October a 870 tactical brand new in box for 350.
The Police model has a few upgraded internals, a metal trigger guard vs. plastic, and (at least when new) an extremely durable parkerized finish. Your Express Tactical is a great shotgun, no question, but the P version is certainly a step up. I bought mine new in 2012, very happy with it.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
The police guns come off a seperate line and have qc checks and better parts as previously mentioned. The tactical guns are not the same as the police guns.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats, looks awesome.

Went to Hunter on Wednesday when my friend picked his up. Two came in the same shipment. Both had side saddles. One seemed to have some cruiser wear around the trigger guard and the other's rear rifle sight was dinged a bit. But overall, great guns.

·
1 warning point
1,644 Posts
Thanks, real happy with it. Action is so smooth. Very little wear. The stock was a little banged up and the pad was in rough condition. I might try a paint job on it someday. Overall like you said, great guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.