Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I found this forum and everyone seems pretty nice.
I've never owned or shot a gun in my life before, but I really want a rifle/shotgun for home defense and hunting. I'm not a hunter yet but I'm getting to it (I'm working on the online hunters course right now).
I've done some research, but still confused about a lot.
I still haven't decided whether to buy a rifle or shotgun first, but I'm leaning towards a .22 bolt action rifle since lots of people recommend it for newbies, and the ammo is cheap.

I would really appreciate some helpful guidance as to what to buy as my first firearm.

Also, can you please let me know the best place to buy my firearm, and the best ranges around? I live in the Medford area.
The reason I'm asking is I don't want to go to a store/range that I'll have to deal with racism/hate.
Just want to deal with friendly people.
Thanks in advance!

·
airbrushart
5,503 Posts
In over 40 years of shooting I don't think I have ever had a problem with racism or hate, just wondering why you would ask that question. For home defense shotgun would be a better choice, but you should learn the basics of shooting with a 22 bolt action rifle, there are plenty of good choices without breaking your budget. Go to any gun shop yes some are better than others, look at 22 rifles also look on the used rack as well. You can also check out gunbroker.com in the search box put in "22 bolt action rifle" you can buy online and have it sent to a local FFL gun shop, you pay a fee for the transfer, pass a NICS check and walk out the door. As far as ranges go for a new shooter you can't go wrong not visiting Brookhaven, let them know you are a new shooter they will help you out. There are private clubs on Long Island, most are hard to join with waiting lists etc. Shooting is a fun safe hobby, that once you start you'll always want another firearm. Enjoy your stay here at LIF, ask questions even if you think its a basic question, most of us on the forum are always happy to help.

·
airbrushart
5,503 Posts
Also stop by the new members area for the free giveaway, it ends on Sept 30 so you have a few days to sign in.

Reactions: TERRY P

·
Still working on a screen name
6,619 Posts
Greetings and welcome to LIF.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think that .22 bolt action is a good choice to start with. Just yesterday I was shooting my son's bolt action and I enjoyed it immensely. As for a shotgun, good choice for HD, but I recommend taking a class or two as it is not as tame as a .22. There are instructors here on this forum that can help you with that. Also, you can go to Yaphank to Suffolk Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays take a lesson and rent a shotgun, any shotgun and try what works best for you.

I agree with suggestion to visit Brookhaven range. It is good place for for newbies. Tell the RO (range officer) that you are a brand new shooter and they will help you. I would highly recommend reading up on range rules and etiquette before you go for your own safety and the safety of others.

Racism and hate - not going to comment on this for many reasons, except to say that I have not seen it on any range I go to - Brookhaven and Freeport. You did not ask, but it is worth mentioning that male shovinism is much lower in shooting sports than one would expect.

Reactions: Huntington Guy

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Racism? Naw, we hate everybody equally. :)

Seriously, most gun shops could care less about the color of your skin.

Welcome to LIF. Can I also suggest that you join LIF as a club member and come to our meet ups. It is a great way to meet the community and many members are happy to let you try their firearms. That will give you an opportunity to try before you buy.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Learn basic firearms safety first, it will serve you and all those around you well in your life, you don't want to come home from a range with more holes then you went with. I use the Islip town range, nice bunch of guys, always willing to help.
Racism? I think you will find most people will treat you as you treat them, and the rest don't really matter.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Before you do either one (hunting or home defending), I would recommend training first.
Especially since you have never handled a firearm before.
Since you're in Medford, I would recommend you go to the Suffolk County Trap and Skeet range for some training.
I understand that they give shotgun & safety lessons.
You will have a much better experience not trying to learn on your own.

Somebody's blowing smoke up your butt about that racism crap.
I've been to most of the local gun shops on LI and have never encountered any racism.
It is one of the hardest industries to make a living at, and once you're involved,
you will find that we are all birds of a feather.
The initial experience might be a little overwhelming, so be patient

What do you plan on hunting?

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
As for the hate part, we do hate when politicians take our rights away just so they can see their name in the paper or when the media prints lies or incomplete truths, but that is about it.

Welcome to the group, have fun and be safe with whatever you decide to get.

22 is a lot of fun.

Reactions: SOUTHSHOREROB

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Welcome to LIF.
A shotgun is a good HD and hunting firearm(depending on where you hunt, some counties only allow shotguns for big game hunting). The load(ammo)/ barrel can be changed out for different tasks. New/Used 12ga shotguns are easily found because they are so popular. (I have a 12ga, but I like the 20ga.)

A .22LR bolt action rifle is a nice, inexpensive, fun plinking rifle. Good for practicing & small game hunting.

+1 Brookhaven range. As others have stated, let the range officers know you're a newbie. They will teach you the rules & might even help you shoot better.

Finish the hunter course & get your hunting license. A lot of your hunting skills will be learned out in the field. Hunting requires a lot of patience & preparation.
It's not an inexpensive sport.

Good luck

·
MOLON LABE
3,308 Posts
Guns for Hire inc is a pretty good training facility about 15mims west of the GWB. It's the only place I know of that regularly conducts NRA basic rifle/shotgun/pistol courses. More importantly, it RENTS firearms. You can go there and rent a rifle or shotgun or even a pistol to try out. You can't do that on Long Island. Something to consider.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Welcome to LIF

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Welcome to LIF and the world of firearms. Just remember one thing.... firearms are not dangerous, people are. Follow all safety guidelines and never grow complacent. Live and breath safety, safety, safety!! This is a wonderful and rewarding hobby and you found the right place to get started!

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Since bolt action .22s are pretty inexpensive, I would recommend a local gunshop, perhaps South Shore Sportsman in Merrick or Campsite in Huntington. Those two have only good reviews. You will save only a few bucks if you shop a big box store and buying over the internet and picking up at an FFL has its drawbacks, and isn't really cost effective with less expensive firearms. If a local gun shop treats you good, you become a loyal customer. Walmart and Dicks just want your credit card. After your purchase, while Brookhaven is a good choice for newbies, you may simply find someone on here by a subsequent post who shoots at a public range (Mitchell Field or even Calverton come to mind) regularly and will spend some time helping you out. Helping fellow shooters is what we do.
I was fortunate to grow up in the 50s and 60s when guns were not evil. Was on school and college rifle teams followed by army training.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Welcome.

To get your feet wet, a 22 bolt is the best place to start.

You can purchase a new one (lower end) for about $250. I would not recommend a used rifle purchase for your first one because you never know what abuse or neglect or problems the rifle has in its past. It would be a shame to purchase a "dog" for your first rifle and have you turned off to a great sport before you give it half a chance.

Brookhaven is a great place to start.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are private clubs on Long Island, most are hard to join with waiting lists etc.
There are easy to join clubs on Long Island, some with regularly scheduled range nights at the Nassau Range (e.g. Grumman) or clubs with the own indoor and outdoor ranges (e.g. Freeport, which is a 24 hour range); no waiting list or BS to join that I am aware of. I agree that a .22 bolt action rifle is a sensible first firearm. There are lots of NRA instructors around who will gladly run you through the basic rifle course, and any knowledgeable shooter at any club or range will gladly introduce you to the basics of safety and how to operate your firearm. Firearms people tend to be an 'inclusive' group, happy to have new people adopt the sport, very willing to share info. C'mon down to the Grumman night 10/14 @ 7PM Nassau range as a guest; I will be checking the sights on a bolt action .22 that I will be bringing to the "Women on Target" class, and you are welcome to try that out. PM me for more details.

Reactions: gettingfedup

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Guns for Hire inc is a pretty good training facility about 15mims west of the GWB. It's the only place I know of that regularly conducts NRA basic rifle/shotgun/pistol courses. More importantly, it RENTS firearms. You can go there and rent a rifle or shotgun or even a pistol to try out. You can't do that on Long Island. Something to consider.
However, a single (meaning one) can't rent by himself. But a single/one woman can. A bit of sex discrimination?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.