Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The County Executive is who you should notify, he controls the SCPD. He can ask the Police Commissioner to allow Suffolk residents to use additional references from a state resident.
The background check delays are usually from the State for checking the mental health status under the law.
That will be my next step, once I hear back from my county's legislator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Your Nassau license is still valid??? It's a NY STATE license. You need to go to Nassau headquarters, and file a change of address and request transfer to Suffolk County. When Suffolk gets your records, they'll call you to process. And yes, I have done this.
I don't have a license / Nassau permit.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
The County Executive is in charge. The Police Commissioner serves at his pleasure. Write or call the County Executive.

·
MOLON LABE
3,312 Posts
The County Exec will always say he defers to the recommendation of the issuing authority, i.e. Pistol License. Passing the buck, knowing full well that the buck stops with him. Bottom line. When the gun owners in this state/county gets their heads out of their asses, and actually form a large voting block for pro 2A candidates, then things will begin to change.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,979 Posts
A simple letter from an attorney should cost way less than $500 if you shop around.
Also if you do sue, if you are successful in Federal Court on a US 1983 civil rights lawsuit, you can get your attorney's fees back from the county if they let it go to a judge for a decision on the merits. But there is a 99.99% chance they would fold the second papers are filed.

Also, you can send your own letter, and let them know their policy is discriminatory to black residents of Suffolk, because there are fewer black people who can vouch for a fellow black citizen in the county, and therfore, their law has a racially discriminatory impact. THAT will get their attention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
An update:

Received a call from my county Legislator, she was of the view that SCPD has the say in what they will accept since the permit issuer is SCPD. Per her statement before making the call to me she called the SCPD Commissioner's office.

I corrected her that NYS is the jurisdiction holder and SCPD is merely an application processing unit (for lack of a better term). While on the phone she looked up the application and the jurisdiction, understood my point and the lack of logic in making a new resident provide references from the same county.

She agreed to call the Commissioner's office again to discuss. waiting for her reply and while I wait I sent out an email to her assistant with "If law needs adjustment, you guys are it"....

See how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
An update:

Received a call from my county Legislator, she was of the view that SCPD has the say in what they will accept since the permit issuer is SCPD. Per her statement before making the call to me she called the SCPD Commissioner's office.

I corrected her that NYS is the jurisdiction holder and SCPD is merely an application processing unit (for lack of a better term). While on the phone she looked up the application and the jurisdiction, understood my point and the lack of logic in making a new resident provide references from the same county.

She agreed to call the Commissioner's office again to discuss. waiting for her reply and while I wait I sent out an email to her assistant with "If law needs adjustment, you guys are it"....

See how it turns out.
Good Luck is all I can give you I hope it works out

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Appreciate your pushback on this and taking it to the County Legislator. NYS courts have recognized the authority of the issuing agency to place restrictions on the license. I don't know if there have been court decisions regarding the licensing agent adding requirements with respect to the application process. That would further penalize citizens in Suffolk versus a county where references can live anywhere in NYS. Keep up the fight.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I took some time to review requirements from different counties. Some require the references to live in the county while others do not.

One interesting note on one county website it states if you have been arrest within the last five years your application "will be denied". Not tried and convicted but arrested. How is it Constitutional to deny someone a fundamental Constitutional right having never been convicted? Why five years? Why not four or six?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
By the way it is maddening to have as many rules and inconsistencies as we have in NY State. I happen to be reading the Federal Reciprocity Bill and if the bill is ever passed it requires a CCW from the State we’re you reside meaning that if passed any out of State CCW holders would be able to carry in NY and Long Island residents would not be able to. I hope the Supreme Court finally rules that the right to self defense extends beyond the confines of your home. Although hopeful I bet the decision will be narrowly tailored and will have no effect in the anti 2A “May Issue” scheme currently in place in NY.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts