Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from Nassau to Suffolk county back in 2018.
I work in NYC and the people I know or can count on / comfortable with discussing application and being a reference on my Pistol License application live in Nassau save for one reference in Suffolk.

I submitted the application with the references I had and my application was returned by SCPD with a post-it suggesting I should read and follow reference qualification.
I reached out to them via email (I wanted the answers in writing) explained my catch 22 situation but SCPD says "the rules are the rules"

It makes no sense, requiring references MUST be residents of Suffolk County for the application.

Anyone else ever found themselves in similar situation? The forums suggested "they don't care" but here I am.

1626115387395.png

·
MOLON LABE
3,312 Posts
Perhaps a letter to Zeldin, or local county legislator , may help considering the situation is completely unfair by anyone's standard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps a letter to Zeldin, or local county legislator , may help considering the situation is completely unfair by anyone's standard.
I am seriously considering sending a letter to Zeldin and / or any other county legislator. I am going to sleep on it tonight though.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am seriously considering sending a letter to Zeldin and / or any other county legislator. I am going to sleep on it tonight though.
I be interested in his response, since he is pandering to both sides of the aisle in the gun debate

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
It's ridiculous that people from the next county can't be used as references. Does the SCPD not have the capacity to check the criminal records of people that live in Nassau? They did an one time waive the requirement. What has changed?

·
Registered
30 Posts
To me, without any explanation from SCPD, it would seem to be just another fabricated obstacle created for the sole purpose of declining applicants.
It's a state license.
I can't think of any reason why a reference couldn't live in a neighboring county, or any NY county for that matter.

@umdorado , curious about the specifics and timeline on this. (Because I submitted my questionnaire back in early October 2020, and I am currently waiting to be called for my interview.)
Was this your questionnaire SCPD returned to you?
Or, did you already get called for an interview, and they returned your PPB-3 application?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
U
I be interested in his response, since he is pandering to both sides of the aisle in the gun debate
I reached out to Tom Souzzi, my District 2 legislator. Lets see what his reply will be..... I asked to be replied even if he can't help me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It's ridiculous that people from the next county can't be used as references. Does the SCPD not have the capacity to check the criminal records of people that live in Nassau? They did an one time waive the requirement. What has changed?
No idea, but it is frustrating. NYS issues the license, out of county reference shouldn't be an issue. Anyways lets see how it turns out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me, without any explanation from SCPD, it would seem to be just another fabricated obstacle created for the sole purpose of declining applicants.
It's a state license.
I can't think of any reason why a reference couldn't live in a neighboring county, or any NY county for that matter.

@umdorado , curious about the specifics and timeline on this. (Because I submitted my questionnaire back in early October 2020, and I am currently waiting to be called for my interview.)
Was this your questionnaire SCPD returned to you?
Or, did you already get called for an interview, and they returned your PPB-3 application?
Mine was the initial county application with the $10 check. SCPD returned the check with the application and a page 2 with qualifications. Oh yes the post-it suggesting "see reference qualification".

I didn't even got to the second step. Sent in my application on June 1st and got the reply mailed back on June 8th. I was surprised by the very quick review.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I don’t know what takes so long, I used to sell the background check system to many Long Island Law Enforcement departments and District Attorneys. It’s quick and fast

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,979 Posts
Neither Zeldin nor Souzzi have anything to do with the local police's made-up procedures regarding applications. Write to the county legislators and executive.
You need to ask a lawyer to write a letter to the police asking why, in light of DC v. Heller, access to a civil right can be conditioned on whether a reference lives in Huntington vs. Syosset, 1 mile apart. The lawyer should request a hearing on the refusal to accept the application, and say that he intends to file suit within 30 days if the attached application is not put into processing with the Nassau references.

They know that this policy wouldn't pass a "rational basis" test in Federal Court, let alone intermediate scrutiny test, and will be trounced by the fed judges. Expect them to accept the papers shortly thereafter.

Reactions: umdorado and Ancap

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I also think the requirement is arbitrary and capricious. I can't point to a specific incident but I'm pretty sure I have read post in the past where the county requirement has been overlooked.

Reactions: umdorado

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
The County Executive is who you should notify, he controls the SCPD. He can ask the Police Commissioner to allow Suffolk residents to use additional references from a state resident.
The background check delays are usually from the State for checking the mental health status under the law.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Think about it. Other states don't even have a requirement that they be a resident of that state for their CCW application. When I got my PA Non-Res CCW, I could have used any references I wanted from anywhere. Fortunately, I have several friends in that PA county that were more than happy to handle things locally for me and personally handed the sheriff their reference forms. Long Island and NY is a sinking ship. Can't wait to bail on this hole in the water.

Way back in the day, I think a Suffolk County Executive supported unrestricted pistol licenses but was overridden by the Suffolk Police Commissioner. I could be wrong, I was much younger then. Feel free to fact check.

I'd be shocked if Bellone would be of any help.

Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Your Nassau license is still valid??? It's a NY STATE license. You need to go to Nassau headquarters, and file a change of address and request transfer to Suffolk County. When Suffolk gets your records, they'll call you to process. And yes, I have done this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neither Zeldin nor Souzzi have anything to do with the local police's made-up procedures regarding applications. Write to the county legislators and executive.
You need to ask a lawyer to write a letter to the police asking why, in light of DC v. Heller, access to a civil right can be conditioned on whether a reference lives in Huntington vs. Syosset, 1 mile apart. The lawyer should request a hearing on the refusal to accept the application, and say that he intends to file suit within 30 days if the attached application is not put into processing with the Nassau references.

They know that this policy wouldn't pass a "rational basis" test in Federal Court, let alone intermediate scrutiny test, and will be trounced by the fed judges. Expect them to accept the papers shortly thereafter.
You are absolutely correct. I received a call from Thomas Souzzi's office today. The person said exactly what you mentioned in your post that he can help with Federal agencies but contact your county legislator, provided me a name and phone number. I searched for email and reached out.
Let's see what I get as a response. So far, I am going down the rabbit hole to see where it leads me.
My intention is to document the issue and see if I get any help without spending any money.

I will think about contacting a lawyer once I get a response from my county legislator.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts