Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this out at Calverton today for the first time and was not disappointed. For all you 17HMR fans this is a must . Ran over 300 rnds of the new CCI A17 17 grain Varmint tip at 2650 fps. 2050 fps at 100 yds . Optimized for this rifle. A little sticky with the mags at first. Just need to make sure you snap in tight and hear the click, all went super after that. Accuracy was awesome. I'll give it a good cleaning after break in. Can't wait to shoot it again. Put a Vortex 4x12x50 AO Crossfire on it to complete the package.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle

Bicycle part Office supplies Rim Cylinder Auto part

Grey Automotive exterior Air gun Gas Trigger

Attachments

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
Glad to hear you like it . The Scope makes it pop. Great choice

Reactions: whitefoot

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
No issues at all with recycling rounds ? Thinking of getting the semi also but hear some complaints I already have the bolt 17 savage like it ...not the smoothest but considering that tiny round I expected that.

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No issues at all with recycling rounds ? Thinking of getting the semi also but hear some complaints I already have the bolt 17 savage like it ...not the smoothest but considering that tiny round I expected that.
Like I mentioned in my post, some minor issues with the mags at first. A few misses cycling then she ran great. Just make sure the mag snaps in tight.

Reactions: SOUTHSHOREROB

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
I was/am looking forward to this rifle, but actually was talked out of buying one from a LGS who already had to send back his first one to Savage, and it may be going back for round two last I heard. I have to wait and see on this one.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I was/am looking forward to this rifle, but actually was talked out of buying one from a LGS who already had to send back his first one to Savage, and it may be going back for round two last I heard. I have to wait and see on this one.
The one LGS said to wait for it to be compatible with other ammunition. Only CCI A-17 can be used.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
The one LGS said to wait for it to be compatible with other ammunition. Only CCI A-17 can be used.
As far as I know, the CCI "A17" ammo is just an optimized load for the Savage A17 rifle to be able to perform the way Savage intends it to be. The ammo is compatible with the others, as is the rifle. Savage and CCI have just saved you the time and expense of trying different bullet weights/types, and powder load combinations. But maybe I will be proven wrong.

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as I know, the CCI "A17" ammo is just an optimized load for the Savage A17 rifle to be able to perform the way Savage intends it to be. The ammo is compatible with the others, as is the rifle. Savage and CCI have just saved you the time and expense of trying different bullet weights/types, and powder load combinations. But maybe I will be proven wrong.
Absolutely correct . You can shoot all 17 hmr thru the A 17 . I also shot the CCI A17 ammo thru my 2 bolt rifles and my Alexander Arms AR.

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on the Savage A17. Here's a few groupings at 100 yards. CCI A17 17 grain Varmint tip. A simple forearm rest and shooting at about 1 second intervals .
The rifle shot super . Not a single jam or ftf .
View attachment 66637 White Black Font Line Red

White Textile Art Font Pink
Organism Art Font Astronomical object Circle

Human body Astronomical object Font Circle Dishware
Rotifer Astronomical object Art Circle Science

Organism Font Astronomical object Circle Art

Attachments

Reactions: Habsfan and CAP1974
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.