Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.....I recently got a new Smith and Wesson 686 4". I was thinking of swapping out the black Hogue grips for some nice wood ones (Altamont or Smith and Wesson walnut w/medallions). Without taking the grips off, does anyone know off hand if it has a round or square butt? Is the butt type due to the year of manufacture or the model, or a combination of both?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
4" L Frame should be square butt ... Usually round butt with shorter barrels ..Especially on the smaller frames ..

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 votes for round, one vote for square. Guess I should take the grips off first, lol.

I should also add that the conversion would not only be for looks. The factory Hogue grips feel too small in my hands. I have shot the 586 with the wood target grips and it filled my hand much better.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I highly recommend Ahrend wood grips there are several styles that would fit your application. I shoot a 4 inch 686, a 3 inch 66, and several other Smith 357 magnums. All sporting Ahrend grips. There is a seller on ebay that has a huge selection of Ahrend grips. I have purchased about 2 dozen sets when they sold on Gunbroker. Wish they hadnt gone the ebay route, but sometimes you have to bend with the breeze.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.