Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decide to do what I've thought of doing for quite some time, buy a Harley. I've been riding for 40 years but exclusive Japanese bikes which have been totally reliable. But what true, blue American doesn't have the longing to ride what is an American Classic. So after a good friend kept sending me pictures of his new 1200 Custom and talking about the bike I went to Harley in Oakdale and test rode a Sportster. It was a new riding experience for me, one I really enjoyed.

As the week wore on I kept contemplating, on-line research, You Tube videos and Saturday afternoon it all came together with a return trip to the dealer to sign the paperwork. Monday I picked up the bike and riding it the last three days have been a blast...but the stock pipes have got to go so the V&H exhaust is on order

The XL1200V Sportster 72 is in the classic chopper mode. The "72" is a reference to highway 72 in California where these types of motorcycles were common. It's no frills riding, basically a seat on top of the 1200CC engine. As far as the seat is concerned, it gets a lot of complaints from other riders but I'm relatively small, and the seat on my Honda Shadow took some time to break it, so it's not an issue with me.

The fuel tank is only 2.1 gallons so range is only going to be about 90 miles, which is fine for me since most of my riding is the short 12 mile commute to work with a few 50 mile pleasure rides thrown in every now and then.

Here are some pictures of the bike. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Wow grogeous!!!!!! I love it. One day I too will hope to b a Harley owner. I loveeee the matte and white walls soooo sexyyyy

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Perfect Harley to white line with......

·
King Coal and Lord of the Blue Ladies
2,152 Posts
Really nice. I too love the white wall tires..saving up to get those for my bike. Congrats and ride safe.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Congrats, looks great. Loved my 1200 Sporty while I had it. I had a deposit down on a Night Train when I had a non bike related accident which put the hold on that. I do miss riding and thinking about that Train again recently. Enjoy the new toy, ride safe.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Congrats! Stay safe.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
AFAIK there's no Highway 72 in California, there's a State Route 72, US-72 and I-72 don't near Cali.

I would bet money the "72" is a reference to 72 cubic inch displacement. 1200cc is 73 cubic inches, most metric engine have the displacement "rounded up". not sure what the actual displacemnent of a Harley 1200 is, but I remember Shovelheads as "74" (or "80").

Nice looing bike, enjoy it!
Was at the dealer today looking at an '02 Indian. Just looking. At least, I'll try to remind myself.

ETA: It looks like displacement on the 1200 actual IS 1200 dead on, which would make it 73ci, so WTF I guess I'm wrong again.

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
AFAIK there's no Highway 72 in California, there's a State Route 72, US-72 and I-72 don't near Cali.

I would bet money the "72" is a reference to 72 cubic inch displacement. 1200cc is 73 cubic inches, most metric engine have the displacement "rounded u". not sure what the actual displacemnent of a Harley 1200 is, but I remember Shovelheads as "74" (or "80").

Was at the dealer today looking at an '02 Indian. Just looking. At least, I'll try to remind myself.
That makes no sense...If it were called a "72" cause its 73cc...why not call it a 73?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I would bet money the "72" is a reference to 72 cubic inch displacement. 1200cc is 73 cubic inches, most metric engine have the displacement "rounded up". not sure what the actual displacemnent of a Harley 1200 is, but I remember Shovelheads as "74" (or "80").

ETA: It looks like displacement on the 1200 actual IS 1200 dead on, which would make it 73ci, so WTF I guess I'm wrong again.
It would be state road 72. Every article I've read about the development of the bike references Whittier Boulevard in California (state road 72) as the inspiration for the name.

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Nice and congrats!

The biggest complaint I have with my sportster (which I no longer ride but still possess ) is tank size. 2.5 gallon IIRC. The peanut tank while great for cruising around town and commuting to work was very limiting when it came to longer distance rides. Most of my friends had 5 gallon tanks and got much better gas mileage. I felt like I was always looking for a gas station.
Good luck with it and ride safe!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts

You are, Keep your money in your pocket.
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2012/06/07/harley-davidson-seventy-two-sportster-because-of-road-72-not-the-calendar-year/

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice and congrats!

The biggest complaint I have with my sportster (which I no longer ride but still possess ) is tank size. 2.5 gallon IIRC. The peanut tank while great for cruising around town and commuting to work was very limiting when it came to longer distance rides. Most of my friends had 5 gallon tanks and got much better gas mileage. I felt like I was always looking for a gas station.
Good luck with it and ride safe!
Yes, that's the biggest complaint I've heard and agree this bike is not for everyone. It all depends on the type of riding you're going to be doing.

This bike is not for anyone that wants to spend hours in the saddle, covering hundreds of miles, at times riding two up and looking for a cushy experience.

I ride more than the average rider (about 4,000 miles a year) but 95% of that is short trips of 12.5 miles each way to work. On a nice weekend day I may venture out for a 60 mile trip east or west on the island but that's about it. If this is the type of riding you do and you like the looks of this type of bike the 72 is one to consider.

I also was considering the Honda Fury and Yamaha Stryker but couldn't find one local to even sit on. Beyond that I figured at some point I'd have to own al least one Harley in my life so this is it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts