Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this unique 12ga, just for poops and giggles. Anyway, doing a little research, I found it to be an old Savage Stevens model 58 bolt action 12ga. The shotgun is equipped with an adjustable poly-choke and a 2 shell box mag. Now here is my question. Since I don't have any longer barrel shotguns (being a tacticool hoarder) I figured id use this as a sporting clay/ turkey gun. The shotgun says its chambered in 2-3/4, but says nothing about 3in shells. Would I be safe shooting 3in turkey loads out of it? I've seen the shotgun run 2-3/4 wallyworld bulk pack flawlessly. Any ideas?

Anways, for the project, I'm most likley going to strip the original blue and rust, and rattle can it with that bbq grill paint. Or I may even give it a super sweet krylon paint job if it's a possible to take into the woods.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nice score, that looks like a fun project - or a great gun to keep as-is.

As for the shell length, definitely limit it to 2 3/4. If it could load 3"ers, it would say so on the gun.

Reactions: zx9allday

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it says 2 3/4" on the barrel, that means only that ammo, no 3" mags. I have owned several bolt action shotguns, they are ok as slug guns, but follow up shots will not be as fast as with a semi or pump. It will do well as a turkey gun, just camo it up, crank the polychoke to full, and pattern it with a few 2 3/4 loads untill you get the right load/pattern . The current craze is 3 1/2" magnum 12 ga. loads, but they are not really necessary for most applications. I only use the 2 3/4 loads for most waterfowling, and have yet to find a bird that I can't kill with a well placed 2 3/4" load. Enjoy the new toy.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whew!! Thanks for the info gents... Thank god i asked yall first! now for another question. Ive never dealt with a poly choke. How do they work? There are markings on the choke. Do I tighten all the way to the last point and set on Full? Then adjust accordingly?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whew!! Thanks for the info gents... Thank god i asked yall first! now for another question. Ive never dealt with a poly choke. How do they work? There are markings on the choke. Do I tighten all the way to the last point and set on Full? Then adjust accordingly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Did you ever receive an answer to your question about the polychoke? I just inherited this same gun from father and am unfamiliar with it so looking for any advice I can get. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
The poly choke should have choke settings on the fixed side (F-M-IC) and an index dot on the movable part.
Just rotate the choke to the setting you want.
If the index marks have worn away, get a digital caliper and choke dimension chart and remark the choke.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.