Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Recently purchased my first pistol. I am unsure with some of the laws and rules such as transporting to and from the range. Does the pistol and mags both need to be unloaded and locked in the trunk with the red lock that came with it? Can the ammo be in the same bag as the pistol while locked in the trunk? Or do I need to separate them such as one locked in the trunk and the other locked in the glove box? Haven't been able to find a clear answer a lot of contradiction on the subject. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read your handbook.Also expect a lot of different answers.
Welcome and be safe
Read your handbook
No,yes,no
Thanks for the advice but I have read it numerous times. Does not give a clear answer about transporting only thing I see is being able to carry your pistol on you loaded and concealed while traveling to and from the range which sounds a little weird to me that they'd let you do that. Besides that there is nothing indicating how to transport to the range in the handbook.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
You have a concealed carry license with restrictions. Feel free to carry concealed to and from the range. Invest in a proper holster

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
Suffolk:

To and from the range, you are permitted to carry the pistol concealed. In doing so, the pistol must be loaded and CONCEALED. Also, you are allowed to stop for food and gas both directions. Remember that you can only carry 7+1 to and from the range but are able to load 10+1 at the range. Do not forget when leaving to remove a few bullets from the magazine!!

If you are not carrying it, it must be unloaded and locked with ammo kept separate.

Just carry it loaded and concealed and you're fine

I do it all the time

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suffolk:

To and from the range, you are permitted to carry the pistol concealed. In doing so, the pistol must be loaded and CONCEALED. Also, you are allowed to stop for food and gas both directions. Remember that you can only carry 7+1 to and from the range but are able to load 10+1 at the range. Do not forget when leaving to remove a few bullets from the magazine!!

If you are not carrying it, it must be unloaded and locked with ammo kept separate.

Just carry it loaded and concealed and you're fine

I do it all the time
Thanks for the response , can I ask in what way do you carry it concealed? Like tucked in you pants or something? Also what about when you get to the range. Do you have to throw it back in your bag?

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
Thanks for the response , can I ask in what way do you carry it concealed? Like tucked in you pants or something? Also what about when you get to the range. Do you have to throw it back in your bag?
When carrying, you use an IWB (inside the waist band) holster, not your pants!

At the range, iwb or owb (outside waistband) holster is fine. Do not leave your pistol on the bench and walk away. Have it/them with you at ALL times!

·
Banned
6,224 Posts
Thanks for the advice but I have read it numerous times. Does not give a clear answer about transporting only thing I see is being able to carry your pistol on you loaded and concealed while traveling to and from the range which sounds a little weird to me that they'd let you do that. Besides that there is nothing indicating how to transport to the range in the handbook.
Ok,if you think it's "a little weird" welcome to the dark side.......

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Thanks for the response , can I ask in what way do you carry it concealed? Like tucked in you pants or something?...
This question leads to only one response. Stop what you are doing and enroll immediately in a basic firearms safety coarse. Never carry a gun "tucked in your pants." Contact Plaxico Burress with any questions you may have as to why that's a bad idea.

Lots of info on this forum and others. Read as much as you can. Welcome!

·
Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life
3,453 Posts
This reminds me of that old public service announcement that would interrupt TV shows way back when

This is a test of the emergency broadcast system....this is only a test. We now return you to you regularly scheduled programming already in progress .

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
+1 for read the handbook. Read it and read it again. In particular, pay attention to Article 35, use of deadly force. This the the MOST important think to know owning ANY firearm. It is also one of the most confusing.

7+1 is the law. There is a MOU in place to NOT enforce it until the NYSRPA v. Cuomo case reaches it's final dispotion. That could be years. In the interim, you can carry 10+1. What happens in the end, could be 7, 10, 15, 30 or unlimited depending on what happens.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep your handgun on you, loaded and concealed at all times while transporting. That is so it can't be stolen if you stop on the way home. In other states there were people who would leave a shooting range with no ammo and they were greeted by scum that did, and would rob people leaving the ranges because they didn't have a loaded mag left.
If while transporting you are pulled over, immediately tell the officer you are carrying concealed. You DO NOT want him to find out on his own.
If you have multiple handguns than conceal carry whichever one you choose. Lock the rest up separate from the ammo like you would rifles and shotguns.
Feel free to call the pistol bureau with questions.
Never go for what is called the mexican carry. Tucked in your waistband is absolutely the worst possible way to carry, next to putting it in your mouth. Research different holsters. You can go outside the waist and inside with many holsters. Some holsters can even fit in the waist and still let you tuck a shirt in.
The most important thing you should do is to find a certified instructor and pay for a few classes.

·
Registered
12,346 Posts
Congratulations on getting a pistol. Keep the pistol concealed, invest in a good holster. Take a class on live fire and practice with the pistol.
I also recommend a good range bag to keep all your gear in a convenient place. Plenty of good advice on this forum.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I was told by the officer that basically they want it concealed and loaded on you so you can defend it from theft basically. Tucking it into your pants without a holster is a cheaper way to get a vasectomy than going to the doctor. Otherwise, get a good holster. Not a cheap holster, they can fail and you will shoot yourself. Then seek training. MDTS is a great company to get training from, check out their website and I highly recommend attending pistol level 1 course. I used to be the guy that thought everyone should have a gun and carry it concealed, but after going to an MDTS class, I'm convinced nobody should be carrying unless they get some sort of training on it first. Otherwise they are just a liability.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I know this has been covered, but Oh Dear God, man!! Tuck it in your pants?? Are you nuts, or you just wanna blow them off??

Step 1, get some serious safety training and a double dose of common sense which seems to be lacking here. NRA has a basic safety program. You should take that before you even think of going to the range.

Step 2, Until you get that safety training, please post if you do go to the range so we know when to stay home for fear of getting an accidental-discharge lobotomy.

Step 3, That said, it's very good that you're asking questions. Ask as many as you need, there are no bad questions, and people in here are awesome. Safety first, and best of luck with your new gun.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I'm convinced nobody should be carrying unless they get some sort of training on it first. Otherwise they are just a liability.
That's NOT how it works. That's not how any if it works.

Mandated training on constitutional rights?! FFS.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,587 Posts
At some point in the '70s, carrying to-and-from the range was not permitted in Nassau- until a series of robberies in the parking lot at the ranges caused the PLB to reconsider that idea...

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Take a class or course. NRA Basic Pistol. MDTS or Chris Foosel are both excellent choices.
Read your hand book, more than once.
Buy a good range bag. Ammo, eyes, ears, targets, tools and other gear needs a way to get to & from the range.
Ask questions, lots of them. Nothing you are told here is "official", but there is a lot of knowledge and experience here.
Research holsters. Ask questions about holsters. Try various holsters on your body, at LGS, at the range, at home.
Ask more questions.
Read hand book again.
Understand how/why you clothing (outer garment) interacts with your concealed handgun.
Practice holster placement, draw, reholstering....ALL WITH AN UNLOADED FIREARM... at home. Learn about and avoid printing.
Be confident and comfortable about carrying your pistol.
Ask more questions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.