Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hey guys, I don't know if you remember me. This is metfan41, I was involved in the lawsuit against Nassau County in 2012 where we sued them over the slow application process, I'm sure most of the members here remember that, and hopefully remember me.

I had to take a break from online activities soon after getting my license to care for my Mom who had Alzheimer's, she passed away about a year and a half ago.

Here's the Reader's Digest version. I lived with my Mom for many years before she passed caring for her and after she passed, I continued to live there taking care of her estate (I am her executor), apparently one of my sisters decided that I was taking too long in getting the house ready to sell so she had her boyfriend send me a threatening text that I needed to leave the house or he would come over. Mind you, my sister did NOTHING to help me care for my Mom.

I had allowed her to come live at the house with me as she had nowhere else to go, that was my first mistake. I confronted her about this text from her boyfriend and she left the house, went down to the 7th Precinct and told them that I threatened her.

The cops came, took both our statements, I showed them the text, long story short, they made her the suspect and me the victim. They asked if I wanted to press charges, I told them no, she's my sister. The cops wrote on the report that I did nothing wrong.

The next day the PLB calls and says what happened last night? I told them exactly what happened, they said we won't touch your guns because you didn't do anything wrong.

My sister was apparently not satisfied that they made her the suspect so she went down to Family Court, told them a bunch of lies about me and they granted her an order of protection. That night, about 6 or 7 deputies came to my home of 32 years and told me I had 5 minutes to leave. They asked where my safe was and took my guns away. Three days later, my sister dropped the order of protection and illegally put the house up for sale.

I spoke with PLB and faxed them the judge's order, they would not budge and told me I had to serve a 6 month suspension and then I would get the guns back. Guess what? It's been 8 months going on 9 and all they do is delay. They told me last week they have guys who've been suspended for 6 years. I told him I did nothing wrong and that I may sue in Federal Court, he said "bring it on".

I've been speaking to the attorney who is handling the Weinstein case and he recommends that I sue the NCPD in US District Court, which I am totally open to doing. This is a joke, I did nothing wrong and I'm the one whose rights were taking away while my sister lives at the house and hasn't paid a dime in property taxes, the house is now in arrears.

I told the attorney that I am willing to front the filing and service fees but he said we're looking at a few thousand dollars just for the deposition costs. I am going to fight them all the way on this.

·
Banned
2,611 Posts
good luck sorry to hear about your issues it seems very unfair.

seems like your sister has mental problems.

hindsight is 20 20 but maybe you should have sold that house quicker and get her out of your life

·
Grand Poobah
21,170 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Mom.
Your situation sounds like a typical divorce case basically. Crazy woman making stuff up and you get jammed up.
Not going to be an easy road for you. That's just the way it is.
Only thing i could suggest is you be real careful what you put out on the interweb and even in emails & texts.

Good Luck

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Mom. I think moving this to donated may be a good idea.

Thanks Pat, she was a great lady and a wonderful mother. I remember you helped us out once with the house, we both appreciated it.
It was my pleasure helping you guys out. Plus hanging out with Parashooter was worth the trip down!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aquabach, tell me about it, she is vindictive at best. Havfun, you hit it on the head with that description of her. The attorney tells me it will cost $800 for the index number and serving the summons. I can lay that out but it will clean out my savings. I will probably do a GoFundMe at some point so money can start flowing to the attorney for the deposition fees. I am thinking we can file in approximately 2 weeks, I would like to post the summons and complaint here at least so I can keep you guys updated. He seems to feel they will cave in and return my guns once we file in US District Court but like I said before, I am willing to take this all the way, any of you could be next in this sewer of a county we call home. I was the guinea pig a few years ago, I'm willing to do it again.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
waiting for LEO on the site to say....not enough information.....
Hey guys, I don't know if you remember me. This is metfan41, I was involved in the lawsuit against Nassau County in 2012 where we sued them over the slow application process, I'm sure most of the members here remember that, and hopefully remember me.

I had to take a break from online activities soon after getting my license to care for my Mom who had Alzheimer's, she passed away about a year and a half ago.

Here's the Reader's Digest version. I lived with my Mom for many years before she passed caring for her and after she passed, I continued to live there taking care of her estate (I am her executor), apparently one of my sisters decided that I was taking too long in getting the house ready to sell so she had her boyfriend send me a threatening text that I needed to leave the house or he would come over. Mind you, my sister did NOTHING to help me care for my Mom.

I had allowed her to come live at the house with me as she had nowhere else to go, that was my first mistake. I confronted her about this text from her boyfriend and she left the house, went down to the 7th Precinct and told them that I threatened her.

The cops came, took both our statements, I showed them the text, long story short, they made her the suspect and me the victim. They asked if I wanted to press charges, I told them no, she's my sister. The cops wrote on the report that I did nothing wrong.

The next day the PLB calls and says what happened last night? I told them exactly what happened, they said we won't touch your guns because you didn't do anything wrong.

My sister was apparently not satisfied that they made her the suspect so she went down to Family Court, told them a bunch of lies about me and they granted her an order of protection. That night, about 6 or 7 deputies came to my home of 32 years and told me I had 5 minutes to leave. They asked where my safe was and took my guns away. Three days later, my sister dropped the order of protection and illegally put the house up for sale.

I spoke with PLB and faxed them the judge's order, they would not budge and told me I had to serve a 6 month suspension and then I would get the guns back. Guess what? It's been 8 months going on 9 and all they do is delay. They told me last week they have guys who've been suspended for 6 years. I told him I did nothing wrong and that I may sue in Federal Court, he said "bring it on".

I've been speaking to the attorney who is handling the Weinstein case and he recommends that I sue the NCPD in US District Court, which I am totally open to doing. This is a joke, I did nothing wrong and I'm the one whose rights were taking away while my sister lives at the house and hasn't paid a dime in property taxes, the house is now in arrears.

I told the attorney that I am willing to front the filing and service fees but he said we're looking at a few thousand dollars just for the deposition costs. I am going to fight them all the way on this.
Wow...it can happen to anyone on here....just like that. Unreal. LEO's, please chime in with "not enough information" and "that's only his side of the story", I'm sure PLB will say "we did it for the safety of all parties involved".

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
waiting for LEO on the site to say....not enough information.....
Wow...it can happen to anyone on here....just like that. Unreal. LEO's, please chime in with "not enough information" and "that's only his side of the story", I'm sure PLB will say "we did it for the safety of all parties involved".
Ironically, I was waiting for someone to post something stupid that would derail this thread.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,979 Posts
Whats going on with the family court stuff? Is the OOP expired? The sister in the house? You may need resolve this messy stuff before worrying about the guns.

The next thing I would worry about is wrapping up the estate.

Whats holding that up? Was there a will? Probate? How is the house dealt with?

I am not your lawyer, but I would think that if you could get the house disposed of it, it gets your sister out of your life, and gets you some cash for the legal fight (if you are successful on a US section 1983 action you MAY be able to recover attorney fees from the county for the 2A violations, but this may take years).

I agree with your attorney that once you get the legal action filed and a date set for the county to appear in court, your stuff gets returned. I'm not convinced you need depositions until much later in the case. Your attorney should be able to make the initial move to have the case reviewed by a judge with a motion for summary judgement on papers and affidavits alone.

In the interim, document every interaction with the police and licensing people meticulously. Names, dates, places. Any dealings with the sister should be recorded.

Make sure you ask for a hearing from the county to resolve the license suspension. One of the constitutional violations is the taking without due process. Ask for your due process by way of an administrative hearing. In writing. Good luck.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mom.

Is it too late to press those charges against the person formally known as "your sister"?

I'd also find out about filing charges (not sure the charge though) of her attempting to sell something she doesn't own (the house).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Grifhunter, I moved out months ago and have had no contact with her since then. She still lives there but the house is sold, we're waiting for a closing date. After that, I will never need to see her again. Unfortunately a large portion of my proceeds from the house are going to pay off debts and for my own living expenses. I can't count on that money to help with this case. I wrote a letter to the PLB stating that I wanted my guns and license to be returned and mailed it to them via certified mail. I have kept all the paperwork in a folder since day one.

·
Grand Poobah
21,170 Posts
Aquabach, tell me about it, she is vindictive at best. Havfun, you hit it on the head with that description of her. The attorney tells me it will cost $800 for the index number and serving the summons. I can lay that out but it will clean out my savings. I will probably do a GoFundMe at some point so money can start flowing to the attorney for the deposition fees. I am thinking we can file in approximately 2 weeks, I would like to post the summons and complaint here at least so I can keep you guys updated. He seems to feel they will cave in and return my guns once we file in US District Court but like I said before, I am willing to take this all the way, any of you could be next in this sewer of a county we call home. I was the guinea pig a few years ago, I'm willing to do it again.
If you're the executor and your sister is messing with the disposition of the assets of the estate, a good attorney would say that is an expense of the estate.
Just an idea. I am not an attorney . Not even a spokesperson for a law firm or anything

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts

Is it too late to press those charges against the person formally known as "your sister"?

I'd also find out about filing charges (not sure the charge though) of her attempting to sell something she doesn't own (the house).
I'm not too sure what she could charged with, especially since her boyfriend sent the text. I'm also not too sure if there's a charge for a single text, depending on what it said also.
Generally, the DA wants multiple attempts to harass, annoy, alarm, etc, not just once. Then there has to be that intent, not just the intent to settle a property dispute. Aggravated Harassment charges can get a lityle tricky.

Reactions: Tonto

·
Registered
26 Posts

I can tell you as soon as the realtor found out that there was an executor, they rushed a new sales contract to me to sign. She had no legal authority to put the house on the market, once they found that out, they scrambled to get my signature.

You are correct, I do call her my "former sister" in any conversations with the rest of my family.

Aquabach, she has a way of getting away with anything she wants to, laws are merely suggestions to her, all she wants is the money and she will do anything to get it.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whats going on with the family court stuff? Is the OOP expired? The sister in the house? You may need resolve this messy stuff before worrying about the guns.

The next thing I would worry about is wrapping up the estate.

Whats holding that up? Was there a will? Probate? How is the house dealt with?

I am not your lawyer, but I would think that if you could get the house disposed of it, it gets your sister out of your life, and gets you some cash for the legal fight (if you are successful on a US section 1983 action you MAY be able to recover attorney fees from the county for the 2A violations, but this may take years).

I agree with your attorney that once you get the legal action filed and a date set for the county to appear in court, your stuff gets returned. I'm not convinced you need depositions until much later in the case. Your attorney should be able to make the initial move to have the case reviewed by a judge with a motion for summary judgement on papers and affidavits alone.

In the interim, document every interaction with the police and licensing people meticulously. Names, dates, places. Any dealings with the sister should be recorded.

Make sure you ask for a hearing from the county to resolve the license suspension. One of the constitutional violations is the taking without due process. Ask for your due process by way of an administrative hearing. In writing. Good luck.
Sorry, forgot to mention, she dropped the order of protection 3 DAYS after she got it. All she wanted for was for me to be forced out of my own house. I have the judge's order and I sent it to the PLB months ago.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts