Long Island Shooters Forum banner

New Mini 14

Tags
14 mini new
4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  fatchoppers 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I decided to keep my Tactical Mini 14 in NC and not ship it back up to NY (The Safe State), so I went out and bought a new one, I'll be doing some work on it over the next week and will post some photos when I'm done, I appreciate the advice I got from you guys regarding the shipment of an assault rifle back to NY. Wood Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electrical wiring Cable

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
1. http://accu-strut.com/
2. heavy oiled bolt
3. check scope rings,tight
4. check rear peep, tight
5. throws brass 1/2 mile
6. hearing, feeling it cycle is like music.
7. enjoy
Definitely agree with most of these suggestions. A strut/barrel brace definitely helps to improve accuracy. The two leading makers are mo-rod and accu-strut. I personally went with the accu-strut xdrill 6" for my 18' barrel. I have a 580+ series with a tapered barrel. The accuracy improvement isn't quite as noticeable as it would be on the pencil barrels, but I would say it's about a 1/4-1/2 moa improvement at 50 yards from the bench. I can't tell the difference offhand since I am a 3-4 moa shooter offhand at 50 yards (yes, I could use an appleseed workshop). You could also use a mounting system for a light. I wouldn't bother with a scope. Even with an accu-strut, the mini 14 isn't a sniper rifle. The factor iron sights are serviceable, but nothing great. The front sight blade is a little thick and the rear sight is hard to adjust and requires a hex key. I would also suggest a upgrading the rear to a tech sight, which is a big improvement and will allow you to adjust windage and elevation on the fly. I would also go for a reasonably priced RDS like a bushnell TRS-25, Holosun or Vortex Sparc II. With right mounting system, you should be able to use the iron sights or RDS as needed. Unfortunately, you can forget co-witnessing a mini 14 in a ranch style stock.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back in the day! Probably in the late 80's early 90's I think , I purchased a Mini 14 Paratrooper model from Edwards in Riverhead .It was the stainless steel .model with a folding stock, and cost me around $600 bucks. It was like the one used on the show "The a Team" . Anyway I took it to the Calverton Range and back then you could set up cans, bottles or anything you could think of to shoot at. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it but boy I sure had fun.

#7 ·
I wouldn't bother with the Accu-Strut unless you really just like the way it looks. That's the main reason most users add it to the new 580+ Minis. It really makes it look like a mini version of the M14 or M1A. Even the guy who makes the Accu-Strut admits the improvement in accuracy with the newer tapered barrels is minimal.

I like the stock iron sights just fine. I'd prefer a smaller aperture to the ghost ring but there's nothing wrong with it. I would either leave them or add a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X with the factory rings that came with the rifle. I haven't changed a thing on my All-Weather Ranch. I just like shooting it. It's a helluva allot of fun to shoot and it's dead-bang reliable. One of the best little carbines ever made.

There was a guy who used to specialize in Mini-14 trigger jobs but I don't think he does it anymore. If you want to turn the rifle into a tack driver, you can, but you probably should have started with something else (like an AR). But if you want to go that route, you'll probably find almost anything you need here:
http://ruger-mini-14...accessories.php

I think CDNN has about the best price I've seen on Ruger factory 10s. You can't do much better. I don't know why they have to be more than twice the price of AR mags but they are.
https://www.cdnnspor...10rd-ruger.html

The Mini-14 community lives on line at Perfect Union
http://www.perfectun...ini-14-mini-30/

Now, just go out and shoot the damn thing, have fun and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.