Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first "modern" long gun out to the range for the first time….shot my S&W M&P AR15 Sport, and yes I hit the target but I made sure I got my money's worth from the paper…hitting it in lots and lots of places all over instead of just using that itty-bitty red spot in the middle and wasting all the rest.
Boy, is it different than shooting any of my Swiss rifles, Enfield P14, Finn Mosins, or Mausers.
First difference is wood versus metal and plastic. Of course the AR is lighter, which is nice comfort-wise, not sure about whether it helps my accuracy. Then there's the noise. Solid, dense, quiet feel of wood stock versus listening to and feeling every clank and rattle as the shot is taken via the plastic stock.
And the stock doesn't fit quite right…butt rides way high on my shoulder if I'm on the bench (which I was, trying to get used to it and sighting it in) and my check weld is to a plastic tube instead of walnut. Couldn't get a good "tuck." Also, because the stock was so high the stock kept interfering with my right ear "muff." Will think about using foam ear plugs instead when I shoot this.
Trigger is marginal. Couldn't quite figure out the break so I ordered a Rock River Varmint 3.5 lb two stage as soon as I got home. (And yes, I said I wasn't going to accessorize…but what the heck, they were on sale for $79 including shipping. Such a bargain I couldn't not buy.)
Iron sights were just fine and I tried both the big "hole" and little one on the rear and had no problems with it.
Had to do some adjustments to rear to get windage correct for 50 yards, but that was easy. Front sight was more challenging as I did't have the front sight tool (which will come on Tuesday from Amazon Prime.) RSO "helped" and we played with two screw drivers, his, and him moving it up and down. Not sure he knew FORS (Forward opposite, rear same) and we bounced from hitting the backstop low to hitting over the target, but finally getting it pretty much to zero.
The biggest financial downside is how easy ammo goes through it. Even though we're limited to 3 rounds in the mag, with two mags it sure uses a lot of bullets real quick. My bolt guns are a lot more deliberate….more leisurely pace with more time between shots. I finally slowed down with more rest between shots, but even then…..I can't image what it would be like filling the mag with 30.
If the target pictures post, the right target was the first one shot, then the left. Finally got it so it was shooting in the middle.
Overall, I'm real happy with the gun, it was a ton of fun, it ain't gonna replace my old timers, and I gotta spend a lot more time at the range to master it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the web site for the trigger:

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html

And here are a few pictures of my new club....Everett Sportsmans Club (out in a near swamp when it rains real hard). Small, but real, real friendly, nice benches, all volunteer, $85 a year for membership, open Fri Sat and Sun noon to 5, and except for hunting season sighting in, never real crowded.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The M&P doesn't have the regular standard A2 rear sight. Instead it comes with a Magpul® Folding MBUS sight, which cannot be adjusted for elevation....gotta use the front sight for elevation. (On my doorstep this afternoon a surprise: my front sight adjustment tool from Amazon, less than 24 hour delivery! I only ordered it at 7pm last night.)

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Next chance you get pop the upper open, pull the buffer and spring out, and take a nice finger full (like if you were a college kid eating peanut butter straight from the jar) of lithium grease and spread it along the first few muzzle side inches of the buffer spring. This will eliminate the sproing noise characteristic to the AR.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
The M&P doesn't have the regular standard A2 rear sight. Instead it comes with a Magpul® Folding MBUS sight, which cannot be adjusted for elevation....gotta use the front sight for elevation. (On my doorstep this afternoon a surprise: my front sight adjustment tool from Amazon, less than 24 hour delivery! I only ordered it at 7pm last night.)
I know that. You buy one and toss it on the rifle. For shooting with irons on the AR platform the RIBZ method is extremely effective. Once I verified zero using this method at 100 yards I could pick off quarters with irons at 100 yards on the bench.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am happy you are enjoying the gun and that is a nice looking range. Let us know how you like the new trigger.

Was this part a typo.
No...until they get to know you it's one round at a time...then three rounds. Really safety conscious. Don't know if it's a Washington State thing, but the primo range in the area, Kenmore, is one at a time in the mag as well. Not even sure they let you do three, unless you're shooting .22, then it's five.
Now that I'm a member, I'll find out more about why that rule. But the RSO's are really on the ball and really helpful. Give hints and instruction and have tools handy if anyone needs something. But it's pretty serious when it comes to safety. They'd have coronaries if they ever had to supervise Calverton.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
No...until they get to know you it's one round at a time...then three rounds. Really safety conscious. Don't know if it's a Washington State thing, but the primo range in the area, Kenmore, is one at a time in the mag as well. Not even sure they let you do three, unless you're shooting .22, then it's five.
Now that I'm a member, I'll find out more about why that rule. But the RSO's are really on the ball and really helpful. Give hints and instruction and have tools handy if anyone needs something. But it's pretty serious when it comes to safety. They'd have coronaries if they ever had to supervise Calverton.
Eff all that noise, Freeport R&R. Where the membership (for the most part) polices itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.