Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Patience
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the kids and the neglected recurve bows they had to have last year to C&B for a refresher. To stave off personal boredom, I brought along a pair of 12 yr old dusty compound bows that the inlaws gave us when they first heard the kids wanted to shoot. Ralph at C&B supplied the missing tubes and trigger, tightened various parts, checked the strings and added the correct sized arrows. Dave showed the kids how to handle their recurves and the parents their compounds. After two hours, we were all hooked. I've never seen a compound up close before yesterday but enjoyed the sight picture as opposed to the zen aiming moment from our recurves.

The sport seems very much like rifle shooting in the mental and breathing aspects. Turns out it didnt matter what the bow brand or age was. Bow hunting has been going on for thousands of years so gear doesn't seem to matter all that much for a beginner. The arrows went straight and true until my shoulder got tired.

Plan to be ready to hunt next year with bow.

Anyone have any feedback on the Suffolk range near Huntington that was recommended to us?

·
Patience
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the kids and the neglected recurve bows they had to have last year to C&B for a refresher. To stave off personal boredom, I brought along a pair of 12 yr old dusty compound bows that the inlaws gave us when they first heard the kids wanted to shoot. Ralph at C&B supplied the missing tubes and trigger, tightened various parts, checked the strings and added the correct sized arrows. Dave showed the kids how to handle their recurves and the parents their compounds. After two hours, we were all hooked. I've never seen a compound up close before yesterday but enjoyed the sight picture as opposed to the zen aiming moment from our recurves.

The sport seems very much like rifle shooting in the mental and breathing aspects. Turns out it didnt matter what the bow brand or age was. Bow hunting has been going on for thousands of years so gear doesn't seem to matter all that much for a beginner. The arrows went straight and true until my shoulder got tired.

Plan to be ready to hunt next year with bow.

Anyone have any feedback on the Suffolk range near Huntington that was recommended to us?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
ya, if your close enough and plan on using it-as apposed to just being a member-its a great place and a good deal...I am not a member but have shot in several competitiions there...you actually become a part owner with a membership....now that your hooked be prepared to be spending some $$$$'s

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
ya, if your close enough and plan on using it-as apposed to just being a member-its a great place and a good deal...I am not a member but have shot in several competitiions there...you actually become a part owner with a membership....now that your hooked be prepared to be spending some $$$$'s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts