Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
Gary

I just tried to read the proposed amendment and it pretty convoluted. Does it say that you have to renew the permit to keep the semi automatic rifle every 5 years?

Also since this is a licensing requirement and not based on proper cause I don’t think NYSPRA b Bruen will stop it. Let me know if I am missing something.

Also I was recently in the Nassau County Pistol licensing division and asked if they have designed a process to apply to remove restrictions in the event that the Supreme Court gets rid of proper cause. They said no —
The law will mirror the AW registration by simply re-certifying every 5 years.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
We'll know, for sure, in a few weeks, what SCOTUS has to say. Among the things I expect is an elimination of the mag capacity restriction and elimination of restrictions on "commonly owned" long guns, currently politicized as "assault weapons." Could I be wrong? It wouldn't be the first time but we'll all know, in a few weeks.
Gary
Gary, the upcoming ruling will only remove the “Proper Cause” requirement for obtaining a concealed carry license.
You may know about a few cases, one of them is from Maryland that will remove the AW and Magazines restrictions.
The case from New York at best will only allow any law abiding civilian to obtain a concealed carry license. I doubt the SCOTUS will force New York to change the application process in anyway.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
Also, if the court grants the injunction, the WHOLE thing is suspended, until the federal court rules on it. No semi-auto license required and not ANY part of the CCIA will be in effect. If the federal court rules the CCIA to be in violation of the Bruen decision, which is what's expected and the state does not appeal that decision, then CCIA is dead. If the state requests an appeal, the law stays suspended, until the appeals are over or there are no more appeals.
Gary
A recent case from a city in Colorado is bringing hope because of the NYSRPA v. Bruen case.
The judge was an Obama appointee who ruled the city can’t enforce the Magazine and Assault Weapons Ban because of the ruling from the SCOTUS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts