Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Still working on a screen name
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 11th, 2001

Use this thread to share your memories, experiences, reflections, tributes...

Cloud Skyscraper Sky Water Building

Attachments

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I remember calling in sick that morning and the secretary at work asked me if I has heard about the plane that struck the WTC ., At that time it was believed to be a small plane, but when I put the TV on I remember seeing the second plane hit.
I called my dad at work in Queens and told him to GTFO there and get home. Of course he didn't want to, but a couple of hours later he showed up at home.
Then the word started to spread about people in the neighborhood who were there, and sadly most of them were never seen again.

RIP
Vinny G.
Mike M.
We will never forget and always defend your honor

· Registered
3,191 Posts
Was at Ground Zero that day and for many months after. I will never forget!!!
Ditto, lost a few good friends too.

RIP....miss you guys
Yamell Marino
Dave Sullins
Marc Schwartz
Mario Santoro

· Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Was at Ground Zero that day and for many months after. I will never forget!!!
me too, lost a few friends and witnessed America at it's finest…what the hell happened since then?

· Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Was in Penn Station when the first plane hit, on 34th when the second hit and uptown at Lexington and 53rd when I saw the Pentagon hit. Couldn't get out of the city that day and what I saw and experienced, changed me forever. I can't even imagine what those that were at Ground Zero (and survived) went through.
Similar for me. Just got out of the subway on 50th & 8th when the second plane hit (Was underground for the first. Came to level ground and got a call from a "paranoid" friend telling me to get out of the city. Thought nothing of it until I got to my 24th floor cubicle and see what was happening down there. I was fairly young at the time and still had that...invincible attitude. Didn't really sink in for a few hours....guess growing up in my era, there was never even a thought something like could happen.

My father in law was a Captain in the FDNY and was supposed to be working that day but had did a mutual as he was just returning from a trip to Colorado where he was helping build a house for another buddy. The guy that took his shift perished. My FIL went down there immediately and was there for over a month straight doing search and rescue, etc. Unfortunately, that came back to bite him in the backside years later when he was diagnosed with Lymphoma due to being down there. He served our country in the Marines during Vietnam, had an upstanding career in the FDNY, always a gentleman,and was the toughest guy I've ever met. 2 Rounds of stem cell transplants and God knows how many times being stuck, probed, chemo, etc and he never complained. Unfortunately he passed on before being able to meet his first grandduaghter. I was anxiously anticipating the day I would see him become a lump of mush, but unfortunately God had other plans.

15 years after 9/11 and I think I am more angry now than I was then....for a multitude of reasons.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
Sunset 9-10-2011, 10 years of digging out and rebuilding. Ready to open the 9-11 Memorial. Prior to DSI, I spend a fair part of my life on the site. A lot of emotions over the years seeing everything first hand from 9-12-2001 till early 2014. Last year was the first year I was not there for 9-11. Never forget!

· Premium Member
4,402 Posts
To all who were there that day or after thank you.

· Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life
3,453 Posts
My sister was in her office in the Towers on 9/11. I didn't know until much later in the day that for the grace of God she had been spared and was able to make it out and back to us and her children. My eyes still well up every year on this day for everyone that was lost. I'm torn inside as a Christian knowing I was taught to forgive but I just can't . A part of me wishes very much that we would wipe those that could do this from the face of Earth once and for all.. I'm sorry

· Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Nothing compared to the loss of life, but I'll never forget explaining what happened to my 8 year old in the backyard with the smell of burning wood in the air, and fighters overhead and Apache helicopters patrolling along the LIRR tracks. Surreal. You were conscious that the world changed and that my son's innocence was lost especially when he learned both a classmate's father and his youth baseball coach died. (RIP Mr. Taddonio and Kelly)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.