Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am patiently awaiting my pistol permit .... As I wait I am trying to read everything I can to help me in my 1st purchase..having only bought a few shotguns at Dick's - I was hoping to get your feedback on how much you can negotiate when purchasing guns at a local shop.

I am looking to purchase 3 or 4 handguns at the same time - I understand that the local shops need to make a living and I don't want to be unreasonable. I was wondering what is the generally accepted "discount" if any when purchasing new handguns. I am most likely going to buy a new Glock 19, Glock 17 and a .22 Browning and if available a Cal-Tek rifle.

Does it make sense to purchase everything at once (..the more you buy the better the deal is my thought)... Or will the price be the price? Don't want to come off as being cheap but spending close to $1,800 and paying full MSRP makes me wonder if I am getting the best deal.

Thanks - any advice all of you can give would be GREATLY appreciated ....

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Just go to Campsite in Huntington and South Shore Sporting Goods in Merrick and compare prices and service.

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
Bring cash. Let them know what you are looking to do, I'm sure most places will be reasonable, especially for that kinda business.

Check out Campsite, and South Shore Sportsman, always the best to deal with, and you will rarely/never read anything bad about either shop here.

Also, logistically speaking look into what you need to do in order to purchase that many pistols at once. It will be a lot of running back and forth between the pistol licensing section of the police station and the stores. Expect to burn a lot of gas haha.

And I'm assuming you meant to say Kel Tec rifle. Any particular one you are looking for? I've got a bunch. :)

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Everyone has their favorite store. I'm quite sure you'll soon have your favorite as well.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
You can negotiate somewhat. Knowing what you want is key to that IMHO, as if someone spends an hour or more helping you with their knowledge and expertise, they deserve to be compensated for that.
If you know exactly what you want and it's a relatively quick sale, there should be some room.
Not to beat a drum here, but......
I frequent a couple of the locals. I stick my head in to see what's new, say hello and work on resisting the urge to have just one more!
But each and every time I find myself in South Shore Sportsman, I'm always stunned at the customer service. Not just to me - but to everyone. They're a pretty knowledgeable bunch of guys down there and their customer service is second to none. I can't think of anywhere better for a first pistol.
Know anyone else who is going to invite you to the range - on his dime - to troubleshoot any problems you might be having?
We all keep kvetching about the shops.
When someone is doing it right, we should be as vocal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice...I am planning on purchasing them at South Shore Sportsman.  They treated me great when I went in to look- I just didn't know what to expect when I made that purchase.  It sounds like what I was expecting. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had my first experience today at South Shore Sportsman. There were probably 10 customers in the store when I got there; only 2 salespeople. I waited about 30 mins - no problem, lots of stuff to look at. When Stan was ready, I got all his attention. He showed me a nice LWRC M6A2 (5.56) that I might go back and buy While I was looking at the LWRC, a question came up and Stan didn't know the answer. He tried looking it up on line but couldn't find it. So he called someone but also couldn't get the answer. But he wrote the question down in his pocket notebook so he could follow up tomorrow and call me with the info. I have no doubt that I will get a call from him tomorrow ! I know a lot of guys on this site are familiar with SSS already but for those that aren't, I definitely recommend it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.