Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MOLON LABE
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need to zero my AR carbine along with a new H-1 Aimpoint red dot. WHere is the best place to do this? I was thinking Calberton, but do they have target boards, or do I need to bring everything an the kitchen sink to get this done. Or should I go to Mitchell FIeld at the indoor range? Any advice?

·
MOLON LABE
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 15 miles from Calverton and perhaps 30 f rom Mitchell Field. Dont really care about the driving so long as the facilities make for a stress free zeroing session.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
FULL METAL JACKET said:
You don't want to zero an AR at mitchell... It's only 75 feet. Go out east.

I still need to do mine as well
Mitchel is fine to sight in an AR. Load up some 55gr ammo and set your sight for 300Yds with the target at 75'.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
Calverton does have backer boards, which are replaced weekly (?).

Trouble is, if you show up at the end of the cycle, before they are replaced, they are pretty ragged, so I'd plan on having some bike shop card board along.

(I keep two big pieces, sourced from bicycle shops, as 'bed liners' in the storage area of my wagon- if they aren't used as backers, they get used up pretty regularly as ground covers, sunshades, kindling, whatever)

you will need a stapler, tape or push pins (push pins are sold in the shed), Targets (also sold in the shed) and I'd advise binoculars or a spotting scope.

On a weekeday, you can likely put targets up on multiple backers so you can get more rounds down range between cease fires.

REMEMBER! Adjusting your sights is handling the rifle, and is a no-no during a cease fire.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
TTSkipper said:
Mitchel is fine to sight in an AR. Load up some 55gr ammo and set your sight for 300Yds with the target at 75'.
True... But the lighting kinds sucks down range and it was hot as hell in there the other day.

Plus, if your from Suffolk, they charge $20/hr.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
Oh, yeah- Calverton is $15.00 for the DAY.

·
MOLON LABE
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the imput. I ended up at Calverton and will take another trip there next week to fine tune the zero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts