Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have an old Turkish Mauser re-manufactured in 1941, and now after fixing it up i'd like to make sure it will shoot and not blow up in my face. I know it would be best for me to just order my own headspace gauges (i'll get on that) but i was wondering where i should go to have it checked. I live out in manorville, so any suggestions? Thanks for all your help.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
a) Is your barrel even tight? (wasn't on mine, headspace was oversized by a mile!)

b) If you tighten the barrel to spec (which is like 200lbf) will your cartridges still chamber?

Mine would, no binding on the bolt on any of them, so I did not rent a gauge.

What is supposed to make it "blow up in your face"? Even without the third lug, how many mausers have blown up? Any?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Captain Will said:
What is supposed to make it "blow up in your face"? Even without the third lug, how many mausers have blown up? Any?
If it doesn't headspace properly it can blow the back of the case apart redirecting those gases into your face. No need for a go or a no go gauge with military rifles... what you need is a field gauge. As long as it doesn't close on a field gauge you're good to go.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Dasgreif said:
Either get your own go - no/go gauges or stop over at Country Gunsmith, in Bohemia.
That! Bob is a great guy, and if you explain the situation he will make sure it is safe to fire

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
stevepelle91 said:
If it doesn't headspace properly it can blow the back of the case apart redirecting those gases into your face. No need for a go or a no go gauge with military rifles... what you need is a field gauge. As long as it doesn't close on a field gauge you're good to go.
By "headspace properly" I assume you mean if the barrel is so loose that the cartridge is hanging out of the breech? I would say this sounds unlikely, but I tightened my Turk Mauser up nearly a third of a turn, I would guestimate about 1/16"". And apparently that's what they did at the factory since it's where the sights were soldered. Plus the whole barrel wiggled around in the reciever. I don't think the Turks (at least mine) wee built too well, mine a '40.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
So the above article says INSUFFICIENT headspace will seat the bullet back into the case- but on my mauser, the barrel bottoms out and the bullet still isn't touching anything, that's the chamber geometry. I measured the OAL, doesn't change. So, at least on mine, you can't get insufficient headspace. Funny, because I though insufficient headspace meant the shoulder of the cartridge bottomed out on the taper and the bolt would not close. I guess I'm not gonna find out since it's impossible to replicate either of those conditions with my gun, but if the above article is correct, why would you use a gauge at all, why wouldn't you just measure the round, chamber it, and remeasure it?

Now I am thinking about pulling a bullet, reseating it proud of where it belongs, chambering it and seeing how much "bullet" headspace there is- just out of curiosity. I would think this area would erode more than the shoulder area, no?

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
That ain't headspace. You would be measuring the throat. On some mil surp forum I read that you could take an unfired, unsized piece of brass, lightly seat a fired primer in it, close the bolt, eject the round and measure the distance the primer protrudes to ballpark headspace. If you reload that caliber, it probably would not be hard to set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.